Friday, January 8, 2010

YUCKY!!!!!

Okay.....first of all, you need to understand this: I am a "chocoholic". I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like...until YESTERDAY!!! I saw a story on the news recently about extra-dark chocolate (85% cocoa) being GOOD for you and suggesting you eat a piece of that instead of other chocolate as it has less sugar in it and can actually help with things like blood pressure or cholesterol and stuff like that. So....out I went and got a GOOD bar of that kind of chocolate (pictured here). I broke off a small piece and ate it and....YUCK....it is horrible!!! It is so incredibly bitter. I think they lied when they said it has little sugar in it as I'd bet this has NO sugar in it. I can't even force myself to eat another bite of it. I need your help. Do any of you know of a way I might use this in a recipe in such a way that it will be edible to me?? I don't want any fancy-dancy, high-faluting, difficult-to-make recipe...just something that would taste good. If you know of anything (or have a friend who does), please let me know. Otherwise, the rest of this bar is going in the trash!!! (Gosh....never did I think I'd throw chocolate in the trash!!! LOL)

38 comments:

Betsy said...

I too had the same problem during Christmas. I just threw it away since I do not bake.

Jackie's Stitches said...

How about some cookies? But then again, I think that would defeat the purpose! :)

Unknown said...

you lost me at "dark" ewwwwww and I've not had any chocolate since christmas :(

Terry said...

Oh I LOVE dark chocolate! The kids think I'm nuts but it just tastes so good to me! Maybe you could make a batch of brownies? My recipe calls for the squares of unsweetened baking chocolate and I imagine what you have would work just fine. Let me know if you'd like the recipe! :0)

Gene Black said...

Just send it to me, I love LOVE dark chocolate and that is some good stuff there. True it is not very sweet, but the chocolate is rich and sensuous.....ahhhhh...opps sorry, got lost there.

It never lasts long enough for me to cook with it.

Gene Black said...

LOL...I was so lost there I couldn't spell "oops" after that.

ooglebloops said...

I think you have a new home for your chocolate bar at Gene's!!! LOL

ooglebloops said...

I think you have a new home for your chocolate bar at Gene's!!! LOL

hetty said...

I have always loved dark chocolate. And Lindt is my favourite brand. But I agree with you about the taste of that so called 'good' bar. It's pretty disgusting. Perhaps the 70% chocolate would be a little sweeter. I would use it for baking, I think.

JustCindy said...

I do not like dark chocolate. It is a shame for chocolate to go to waste.

Tangos Treasures said...

LOL on yucky!! How about using it to make some hot chocolate?? But you'd have to add sugar to it??!!
Or you could send it to Gene!!!

Crispy said...

Yuck is right, I can't even stand regular dark chocolate, I can't even imagine how bitter this must be. I recommend just tossing it LOL.

Crispy

Debi said...

I use it in hot chocolate and add extra marshmallows or melt it down and use it as a sauce for vanilla ice cream. ps...I love dark chocolate.

luv2quilt2 said...

I love dark chocolate, but I've never tried the 85%. Sounds more like baking chocolate than an edible chocolate bar. Hope you find something delicious to make with it.

Jocelyn said...

I don't care for dark Chocolate either, but it might work for baking. I have heard the same thing as you did, but the dark chocolate has always tasted bitter to me. I can't imagine what 85% would taste like!!!

Kathy said...

It should work in any recipe using unsweetened baking chocolate. I too have tried really dark chocolate and found it not to my taste. I like semi-sweet baking chocolate, however. When desperate for chocolate with no candy in the house, I have eaten the semi-sweet. It's hard on the teeth, but tastes great!

Needled Mom said...

You are eating it all wrong!!!! You need to serve it with a good red wine. It tastes completely different.

A good recipe would be little hot molton cakes. I have a recipe (easy) if you are interested. They are little cakes with a ball of the chocolate (melted with cream and rolled in a ball) inside. When cooked the chocolate ball melts when you cut into the cake. Serve it with ice cream or whipped cream. Yum!

Jean said...

This is probably what I need to NOT eat chocolate...lol

Mandy said...

When ever you're baking and it calls for chocolate chips or curled chocolate, use some of the bar with your regular stuff! That should do the trick!

andsewon said...

Oh my Pat!! Haa!! Haa! I am picturing you after that bite!! Sorry! I am a milk chocolate kinda gal myself.
Now seems all others in my family love the dark choc. Ghirardelli fans here though.
DH does use these kinds in his cooking of pie custard, fudge and baking, which sugar is added to I must say.
Yes sadly all 'real chocolate aka cocoa' does not taste good...has to have that added bit of sweet to it to take out that bite!
Seems nothing that is good for us tastes good....;-)
My father used to make us take Castor oil...was good for us he said.. arrggh yeah right!
Hugs,
Lola

LyndaG said...

Pat - I fell for the same advice when I told my doctor that I was craving chocolate... so I used the dark mixed with milk chocolate and white chocolate bits and made chocolate covered peanuts (supposedly good for you on the glycemic index) which disappeared... and dipped pretzel dipping sticks in the remainder of the mixture then rolled in peppermint sticks... both had dark chocolate in them!

Nancy said...

I am not a big chocolate eater so I think you should send it to Gene!!

At least he will enjoy it...

Quilter Going Bananas said...

I don't like regular dark chocolate so I can't imagine what that stuff tastes like! After reading your reaction I think I won't try it either, LOL! I agree with the others, send it to Gene. If you make cookies or brownies with it then
your eating way more calories...

By Hoki Quilts said...

Oh my dear, a chocoholic NEVER tries 'good' chocolate. The reason is that there is something in their DNA that makes it bitter. So the good thing is, you are indeed a chocoholic, it's confirmed. The bad thing is, you must NEVER stray from your usual chomp, nothing else will taste as good.
Just remember there are never any recipes for leftover chocolate.

Anonymous said...

My youngest son prefers DARK chocolate over all others. I'm of no help besides saving it as baking chocolate?

LINDA BYLSMA said...

Put it in your blender or food processor, chop it up real fine. Then use it in your baking like cocoa, or make hot chocolate, making sure to increase the sugar, of course. If that doesn't work, send it to me. I LOVE dark chocolate.

Joyful Quilter said...

I love dark chocolate! Make regular chocolate chip cookies, but finely grate the dark chocolate into the dough. The dough has enough sugar to offset the bitterness of the dark chocolate and it gives the cookies a really rich taste.

Barb said...

The world is truly coming to an end when we start throwing chocolate away!!

PaTcHwOrK jEnN said...

Toss some in some hot chocolate. Add some peppermint candy canes and enjoy.

Joanne Lendaro said...

I am right there with ya!! I LOVE chocolate even dark chocolate, but that stuff was just plain awful!! ICK!! Nice to know I'm not "weird" or anything. lol

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Use it to marshmallow creme fudge. The recipe on the last jar I bought calls for solid chocolate so this might work just great. I have met some chocolate in my time that I didn't care for either. :-)

Rhonda said...

Oh dear....that's too bad but you could always melt it down and use it in a cookie or brownie recipe.

Unknown said...

You don't have to bake with it, just melt it with a milk chocolate bar and then dip pretzels in it, yummy, the milk chocolate with the sugar it has in it will sweeten the dark and I don't know anyone who doesn't like chocolate covered pretzels. BarbM

Unknown said...

You don't have to bake with it, just melt it with a milk chocolate bar and then dip pretzels in it, yummy, the milk chocolate with the sugar it has in it will sweeten the dark and I don't know anyone who doesn't like chocolate covered pretzels. BarbM

Sara said...

i'm not wild about that one...

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Ok melt it down, add a large bag of jet puffed marshmallows when then melt at 2.5 pounds of sugar. You should be ok then...drink it.

Pat

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Or you could send it to Gene.
Pat

Unknown said...

you might as well just eat some nice bitter baking chocolate or how about chocolate exlax.....I have a story about that...I hate dark bitter chocolate...good for me? who cares......