Sunday, January 10, 2010

Oh, my.......


NOTE: Blogger has been acting weird. I typed this to appear on Sunday morning and it appeared Saturday night...so some of you might be seeing it for the second time!!! Blogger can be nuts sometimes!!!
I have a free-standing cabinet...a tall one...in which there are many shelves. A year or so back, I organized it and put things in bags and boxes. I then made a nice list on the computer and taped it inside the door. The list tells me what is in each box and on each shelf. Very impressive to see, I can assure you. Of course, I have hardly looked in there since that time. I'm not sure why I was in there yesterday....but I happened to look at the list and saw a line that said "Valentine placemats in progress.....2 baggies.....shelf 5". Okay......that sounded promising, so I went to shelf 5 and found them easily. WOW.....great system....it really works. I then opened the bags and found this.......what a MESS!!! Several strips of Valentine's-themed fabric popped out on the tabletop (nearly exploded out, to be more honest about it). I saw just a very SMALL part of a quilt-as-you-go placemat in progress. I had been hoping that "in progress" meant the placemats would be further along. You know....as in......nearly DONE. *sigh* I have three swaps for which I need to get moving and also have my UFO challenge project to do this month. I needed those placemats to be further along than that! Well.....the placemat project is now back in the two baggies and I might get it done for Valentine's Day.....in 2011!!! For now, the project has been banished back to shelf #5 in my wonderfully organized cabinet.

25 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow what a system!! Bummer they were not futher along!
Blogger said you didn't exsist this morning?? Crazy!

Greg said...

Welcome back from the missing blog list! Sounds like you got a great system going in your cabinet. Good luck with those place mats, why do today what can be put off 'til next year!!!

Betsy said...

Pat I foind quilted placemats at Ikea yesterday for .79 cents. you can easily add an applique and be done if there is an ikea by you.
I feel your pain. I too am struggling with my Valentine projects.I never have my themed items on time for the actual holiday.

luv2quilt2 said...

It sounds like you have a good system going. Too bad you didn't find a project a little further along.

Unknown said...

Having a good system really does help in the end. I hope that you will get your Valentine's project done... maybe in 2010. But I guess it is onto the swaps.

Anonymous said...

This post made me giggle because I see myself in it. I'm also an organizer of supplies and projects -- right down to creating the perfect space with good lighting to work, ordering supplies and setting up storage space for those supplies. Then when I finally got around to trying my new idea or project, I've learned it just wasn't for me.

quiltingnana said...

the Valentine placemats can join all the Valentine fabric I have bought over the last few years....and that still sits in the basket

quiltingnana said...

the Valentine placemats can join all the Valentine fabric I have bought over the last few years....and that still sits in the basket

Needled Mom said...

Sounds like you have a lot of commitments going on. Oh dear!

Crispy said...

ROFL, oh Pat that just cracked me up, I can just picture the explosion. Well, at least you know your wonderful organizational skills work well.

Crispy

Anonymous said...

Fabric explosion... bwahahahahahahahaa!

andsewon said...

Okay me thinks you need to come down and organize my fabbies and I will sew up your place mats for you... hahaha! Plan to stay a week or more...;-)
I have a few projects like that for a years worth of holidays...;-)
Don't worry you will pull it out one day and do it!
Lola

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Great organization - my problem is when I begin to go through things and they get out of their original place on the list. :-)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

But don't forget to pat (ha-ha) yourself on the back for being organized Pat!!

Unknown said...

wished I had a nice organized cabinet like that, mine are in a rubbermaid container...lol

Pat's Place said...

Gosh! I thought I was the only one who had projects like that. Only mine are not neatly organized and put into a cabinet. Sigh! Too many projects, too little time!

Barb said...

What a wonderful system...I tend to forget what I am doing.....I am totally impressed....

Rhonda said...

Great system. I think I need to do something similar before I lose more fabric. As for the unfinished project....back in the bag is a great place for it. Who says we have to finish things in a timely fashion. I'm all for getting to it...when I get to it.
Take care.

Rachel said...

Oohhh but nice fabrics! They don't look too hard or time consuming. What are you waiting for? haha. Sometimes life gets in the way, doesn't it?

I have no such system. Everything is everywhere in this little room. One of my to-do projects for Christmas break was to clean and organize in here. Ha! Yep, sometimes life (or marking) gets in the way, doesn't it?

Sara said...

At least you now know you have them...I'm not that organized!

Myra said...

High hopes cut short... We've all been there... Don't forget about them now... 8-)

Stephanie Hughes said...

Pat, I want to get organized too! Not to mention all the dog hair around since I got sick two weeks ago. Kevin has been busy cooking and visiting me at the hospital and the boys are not very independent at motivating themselves. I love the fabric, valentines is one of my favorite holidays. Way to go with the organziation, me soon. Steph

Unknown said...

at least you know where it is! heehee

hetty said...

Wow! Great system. But with a system like that you'd think those placemats could have been putting themselves together on the shelf! Love those fabrics. I am going to a Bee Night at our guild this evening. I think we are going to make Valentine placemats. Wonder which year I will get them done!

Val said...

Wow. Your system sounds great though. So organized. How did I get this far behind reading all of your post? Well I am caught up now.