Saturday, January 30, 2010

I'll be "brown-bagging" soon......


I'm going to be brown-bagging soon and I need your help in choosing my LUNCH. No....just kidding. I'm not taking my lunch with me to work (because I am retired and don't GO anywhere to work now...just work out of my home), but I'm doing a fun guild activity. Maybe some of you have done this with your guilds. You sign up at a meeting and take a brown bag (that is empty).....like this one.....

The directions say to take your brown bag home, fill it with 4 fat quarters you like and put your name inside the bag, staple it closed and bring it to the next meeting. At that meeting, the brown bags will be redistributed and you will take one home that is NOT your own. You will then use the 4 fat quarters inside there (and can add other fabrics, if you wish) to make something for the person whose brown bag you have. We have 5 months in which to do this, so it's plenty of time and you can make anything.......but bigger than 12 inches if it's a wall-hanging or something like that. So....I have started to look at some fabrics I have here in order to decide on the fat quarters I will send away in MY brown bag to be made into a surprise for me. I'm having trouble deciding, so maybe you can look and tell me what you think.........and maybe NONE of these are good and you'll tell me I need to go buy something new before the next meeting or that I need to substitute one of the fabrics but you like the rest of that group. It seems this guild has made many different things in their brown bag projects.....wall-hangings, table runners, purses, pillow covers, etc. It should be a fun experience. Please look at what I've "auditioned" in the photos below and tell me your feelings about them, okay? They are grouped in no particular order and there is one that I now don't really like for this project, but I'll leave it here just to see what kinds of comments it might generate. Please click on them to see them in greater detail as it might help with your comments.

GROUP A:

GROUP B:
GROUP C:
GROUP D:Thanks for your help with this!

47 comments:

Tudy said...

I love A and C but those are the colors and prints I would buy. Sounds like a fun idea.

Betsy said...

Group A for me Pat

Betsy said...

p.s The brown bag idea is a great idea! Maybe for a future swap or activity with our cottage group.

Beeshebags said...

Group D, and if you decide on one of the others....feel free to send group d to my house....lol Those dots are lovely. Hugs Naomi

Tangos Treasures said...

I like them all but B has that gold/orange that pops. I'm gonna guess that's the one you don't like?
I like that brown bag idea too!

Unknown said...

i like group A.....and D, but I like A better.

Kathleen said...

I like B; the orange is a strong accent. And I like C...the pretty, peaceful looking print and the soft blue. What a fun idea.

Jocelyn said...

What a great idea. I've never heard of this friendship project before. I vote for group A.

Kathy said...

Personally, I like B. I love the way the orange pops out. However, given what I have seen of the items you usually make, I think either A or C would be better choices for you. You seem to favor those lovely, soft muted colors.

It's a clever idea and I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you receive back.

Unknown said...

Group D. I love dots! I have so many of them and purchase them whenever I see them!

Pat's Place said...

Group B--I made a quilt in those colors and LOVE it!

quiltingnana said...

what a fun activity.
I like A and B

quiltingnana said...

what a fun activity.
I like A and B

Anonymous said...

Looks like A or B it is!

Gene Black said...

I would use group A but replace the green with the blue from group B. It looks like it will make those blue flowers really pop out!

hetty said...

I like them all! But if I had to choose, I'd pick A or C.

kimland said...

A & D.

Anonymous said...

Have never done this, and it sounds like great fun! Hard to choose....hmmmmmmmmmmm

JustCindy said...

I can certainly see why you are having trouble deciding, all of the groups are so lovely but my favorite is A. Sounds like a fun project to be involved with.

Karen said...

I like Group A the best and Group B the least. I like the polka dots but it is always good to have a variety of prints in a piece.

I hope your brown bag exchange turns out well and that you enjoy the process.

Needled Mom said...

Great idea. I like Group A myself.

Rhonda said...

Oh dear...this is tough but if I had to chose.....I'd go with "A" as a first choice and "C" as a second choice....whew...that was not easy.

Nancy said...

I like A because it gives them a focus fabric. BUT, I would add one of the polka dots from group D to give it some ATTITUDE///...

LINDA BYLSMA said...

From what I have seen you make for yourself, I think groups A & C are most appropriate. This is supposed to be for YOU, so please yourself.
What a fun idea.

Kaye said...

I agree with Linda, me I personally like group a. You sure work fast! I haven't even looked at my fq's yet.

Anonymous said...

I like "B" the best, but ya know, you can always come to my house and check in all those boxes coming in.... Bwahahahaahahaha!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I like C the best - and then D - I'm not crazy about that orangey color - but that's just me. Have fun - and if you need a home for those extra fabrics - ummmm I know a nice place that will take good care of them. :-)

Barb said...

i love group b

Greg said...

I'd pick B. The yellow is very strong and it makes the print pop. But you should pick which ever combo you like.

Marlene said...

My vote goes to A but as Gene suggests substitute the green with a blue. Whatever you choose I'm sure will be great.

Winona said...

I like group A, then I would choose group B. Sounds like this would be fun. Winona

julieQ said...

Love them all! What a fun activity...if I had to chose, I would chose # 1.

Sara said...

I really like A and B - don't care for D at all - it doesn't have enough something...can't figure out what...

So which one don't you like????

Annie said...

I like all of the groups but A is my favourite. Would make a nice table runner. Hugs :)

Unknown said...

A, A, A, A, Love that group best.
Anxious to see what you do create.

Please check your settings to follow me on new blog,
blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful week.
TTFN ~ Marydon

Mandy said...

Group D!!!!

~Laurie~ said...

Definitely Group A for me, with Group D a close second. Someone could have fun with those dots!
Keep us posted with the fabrics you end up with :)
Laurie

arlette said...

I love the idea of your swap, sounds like fun, I like A & C

Jackie's Stitches said...

What do you think about substituting the blue in C with the blue polka dot in D?

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Hi Pat,
Taking a dinner break and thought I'd tell you my favorites. I would want something made from A but this is sort of a challenge so I think it should be B that you put in the bag as someone could make a quilt project with real "pop". C doesn't work at all for me. I think the blue is off in that mix. I love the polka dots in D but they don't have enough contrast to do a project. This is all just my humble opinion. :-)

Val said...

I just love this idea. I love Group A. I love them all but that is my favorite. I can't wait to see which you pick.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I didn't look at others response and my choice would be group B. It sure looks like a fun project Pat.

Amy R said...

Hi Pat. I'm partial to A and D and if I had to choose between the two it would probably change from minute to minute! Good luck, and be sure to show us the end product when you receive it.

Joanne Lendaro said...

catching up from being away for a couple of days...cute idea!! Now I know what the later fabric post was about...gene pool, or dotty

nananana said...

I would use the pansies, berries, polka dots, and dark green. Make a black any white copy of this group and you will see a nice contrast of lights to darks. This adds more drama.

Simply Pat

Myra said...

What an awesome project to take part in Pat! Love it! I shall have to file away this idea for our group here sometime...
Thanks!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

I like A very much but I think it needs some of the blue from B. Perhaps sub the brown or green with blue!

If you don't pick A I will stomp my foot like a spoiled child.

Pat