I have started collecting some fabrics for sashing and borders for the green no-sew-block-swap quilt. They are in the second photo below. The first photo shows the Ohio Star block that I made yesterday. The pretty fabric for this block was chosen, cut, and sent to me by Cecelia (who is on a wonderful, well-deserved vacation right now). Some asked after my previous post for me to explain what a "no-sew-block-swap" was. It is a swap in which each participant does not SEW any blocks for others but just chooses the fabric and cuts it out and puts the needed fabric for the block in a baggie for each participant. They then send all the baggies (except their own) to the swap leader and she sends each participant a baggie for each block. All the sewing is done by each person making the quilt........which allows for consistent sized-seams (one of the things that can often be a problem in swaps and can result in inconsistent-sized blocks). I can tell you it is NICE to be in the mood to sew a block and not to have to do any cutting....to just grab a baggie and sew!!!

The color on these didn't photograph well.....the one on the left has a very pale yellowish background with the green vines flowing across it. The one on the right is a beige background with little tiny clovers on it. Once I see all the greens from the participants, I will get a green for cornerstones and also maybe for part of one of the borders. Since I love green, I am really happy with the way these blocks are looking so far.
25 comments:
What a great block! And I LOVE the idea of no cutting!
You know, that swap is kind of like buying a kit.
I like the fabric on the left best. Are you going to use both of them?
I love ohio star blocks...looks great!
great swap idea, somedays I just want to sew, not having to cut and chose fabrics is perfect for those days!
Kathie
Great way to do a swap! I do love the Ohio Star, such a traditional block. Beautiful!
What a great idea for a swap... Might bring it up to the quilt guild.
Ohio Star is one of my favorite blocks to make.....when making a Sampler quilt, it always coming together without any fuss.
I love the green viney fabric...I wonder why...hehehehe
So pretty! Can't wait to see the completed top you make.
Pretty block! I remember you talking about this swap, but have forgotten if you mentioned this...are all the blocks the same pattern?
Gorgeous quilt!
At the rate you are going, yours will be all ready to hang on St. Patrick's Day!!!!
Star blocks are my favourite and your Ohio star is fantastic!
I love the fabric with the clovers... the block is very nice. Can't wait to see more!
coming along and looking GOOD, can't wait to get mine
It's really looking good and will be a beautiful quilt.
It's fun to watch all of your blocks coming together.
Ahhhh... Now I get it! Was confused by the no-sew...? That sounds like a wonderful swap... now that I fully understand it! Duh! Sometimes it takes me a while... 8-)
Block looks great Pat! 8-)
Gotta love the ohio star. Your fabrics are perfect for it.
I love the Ohio Star! The idea of the swap is wonderful!
Micki
I love the idea of this swap and am so glad you did this. I can hardly wait to get my baggies. I mailed my package to you yesterday.
I like the idea that each block will be different and a new challenge. (for me, everything is a challenge)
I sure HOPE someone else hosts another NO SEW BLOCK exchange, cuz I'll be right there.
Ohio Star is one of my favorite!
No fair, you get to sew the blocks as they come in......I am jealous!!!
No fair, you get to sew the blocks as they come in......I am jealous!!!
Cool fabrics ...
I'm with Barb - you can't sew anymore blocks...
Oh I just love this idea. Your block is beautiful. Thank you for everything.
I'm thinking the "No Sew" swaps are the greatest! Thanks for sharing your progress...
Post a Comment