Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A start to a red, white, and blue quilt......



Recently I had a chance to become part of a "no-sew" block swap using the colors red, white, and blue. Since I don't have a red, white and blue quilt yet, I jumped at the chance. (The swap is closed now...in case anyone was wondering.) The rules were for us to choose a 12-inch block from among a list provided to us. We were then to cut out the pieces for that block 9 times and put each set in a baggie. We were to keep 1 baggie for ourselves (to make our chosen block) and send the rest to the swap organizer. I chose a block called Carrie Nation and here is a picture of it after I assembled my pieces. I am excited at the thought of getting 8 baggies back with pieces to make 8 other blocks in red, white and blue. I hope the other 8 swappers like making this block as much as I did.Message
NOTE: this explanation is being added to answer one of the questions posed in a comment below about why this was called a NO-SEW-SWAP (as I guess my prior explanation wasn't clear). It was called that because we just cut OUT the pieces for all the other participants and put them in baggies and sent them off to the swap organizer....we did not SEW them for the others. The swap organizer then takes one baggie from each of us and sends that collection of different baggies with different pieces in them to each of us. Nobody sews untl those baggies reach them and then they look at the name of the block on each baggie....find the directions for THAT block on the site we are using...and use the pieces someone else already cut out for them and THEN sew. So...you don't sew until AFTER you swap!!!

28 comments:

Margi said...

this is a very, very kewl swap; love your block!

luv2quilt2 said...

I keep planning to do a red white and blue quilt, but haven't yet. I love the block you've chosen.

Anonymous said...

Perfect looking block there Pat!

Betsy said...

looks great Pat

Unknown said...

love the red, white and blue, that looks like a perfect block, great job.

Jackie's Stitches said...

What a great swap! I love the idea and your block is pretty!

Gene Black said...

Nice work Pat. It will be interesting to see the entire quilt later on.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Pat! But I have one BIG question that I'm surprised no one else has asked. Of course, that probably means it's just me and that I'm missing something, but why is this called "no sew"?

quiltingnana said...

looks like a great start to a red-white-blue quilt

JustCindy said...

What a neat swap. I really like your block.

The Other Barb said...

sounds fun! like your block.

Needled Mom said...

That will be such a nice quilt when you are done with it. I love the crispness of the RW and B.

Crispy said...

What a great idea for a swap!! This is the only type of swap I would join, I'll have to see if I can generate interest at the guild.

Crispy

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

I know you said the swap is closed, but what swap group do you do this with may I ask? I LOVE the idea! Only because sometimes you get these crazy botched up blocks...LOL*** I know everyone's got to learn, and I'm not all that great myself, but this sure saves you the hassle of ripping and is equally as exciting as getting a batch of presewn blocks!

Myra said...

Good for you Pat! I haven't joined a swap... yet! Have a hard time with my own projects!! lol!
Great block! 8-)

Jocelyn said...

Sounds like fun. I've never been a part of a swap, but one time gathered different block squares and would you know that some of them were different sizes (even though they were supposed to all be the same)! Hope yours turns out great.

andsewon said...

I am lov'n that block...;-)

hetty said...

Great block for a new quilt. I love that swap idea. Getting the pre-cut pieces to sew together yourself seems even better than getting a finished block!

Sara said...

Love the idea and your block is really pretty...

BTW, I'm going to prewash for the Green swap...

Anonymous said...

I'm in the pink/green/white group... I have a few more supplies to get, then I can start cutting... squee!

Karen said...

Now that's a different trade. I couldn't figure out how your block was a new sew trade but now I get it.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

NUTHING is better than red white and blue. Have fun! My favorite quilts are from trades!

Pat

Rhonda said...

I had just recently heard about the no sew swap....it sounds like it would be fun. Your block looks great.

Val said...

No Sew swap? This sounds fun. I love your block.

Pat's Place said...

Sounds like fun!! I really need to get back to my quilting!! Recently I found two quilts that I need to finish. One is a Grandmother's Flower Garden that I have hand pieced and hand quilted--almost finished. This cold winter is the perfect time to get under that quilt and finish quilting...the other one is a Christmas quilt that needs batting, back and quilting! One of these days....

nrnoodle said...

I am looking forward to swapping with you. Carrie Nation was my first choice. You made a pretty one so I can't wait to get your baggie. I might still make a few more of this block just because it is my favorite. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with your blocks.

Karen said...

......love ur block!

paront1222@comcast.net said...

That's an interesting kind of swap... How many girls get involved?
I put a red/white/blue quilt on my 2010 list this year to make and donate to our school to raffle off. We have a lot of military people in our bldg. so we donate the $$ to their organizations.
Peggy