Sunday, January 31, 2010

Hmmm......follow-up to brown bag post.....

Gee....I'm glad I asked all of you for input on yesterday's post....really I am. Those of you who said I like the more muted colors are correct. As for which of those 4 was my least favorite, it was D (the group of all dots)......because it didn't have enough "oomph". (I love dots, though.) There were a couple of suggestions that involved juggling fabric around. They both involved Group A.......which looked THIS way on my post yesterday: (click to see the fabrics better)Gene (who is an artist and has a good eye for color) suggested I get rid of the green (which made my heartbeat go crazy as you know I LOVE green fabrics)....and he thought I should use the blue from Group B instead to bring out the blue in the focus fabric....which would result in THIS: (again, click to see the fabrics better). We will call this the GENE Pool of fabrics!!! (Pretty clever name, huh??)
Then.....Nancy....who is a dotty, blogging friend....loving all things polka dotted.....suggested I take one of the polka dot fabrics and use it in Group A....but she didn't tell me which ONE to use and which fabric to pull OUT of Group A. So...I played around and came up with THIS, which I will call Dotty Nancy. Please click on this one and look at it close-up.What do you think? I could live with either of these OR with Group A as it was originally (and is the first one pictured above). I could also live with Group C from yesterday (which was this one):
I have eliminated yesterday's Group B from this process.....I do like the focus fabric in that group, but overall, it is just not ME (which most of you realized)...and Group D with all the dots was too boring with no focus fabric, so that is eliminated now, too. So...which do you like best of these two......Gene Pool or Dotty Nancy??? Gosh...I love all you bloggers who are willing to help and point out things I miss about fabric combos. If I was making this item myself and knew WHAT it was going to be....a wall-hanging, table runner, or whatever, I'd have an easier time choosing fabrics, I'm sure. BUT..... for this project, I have to choose something that would look good as anything that the person makes for me...and that seems a lot harder!!!

35 comments:

Margi said...

I really like group A and B with B catching my eye first because of the polka dots. Depending on where I was using the blue tho I'd go with A. Actually I'd make a block with each group and then decide which to use. I do like group C as well but for me the print is large enough or "jump out at me big".

Crispy said...

I didn't have time for replying to posts yesterday so didn't vote originally, but I must say I love the Dotty Nancy much more than anything posted previously.

Crispy

Unknown said...

Okay, I am going to throw a monkey wrench in here. What about the original group A leaving the green in (that you love) and taking out the last fabric (taupe) and put the blue there? Just a thought. Not sure how that would look, but since your really like the green, this might be a good option.

Gene Black said...

See now that they are together the blue is too much. It is too bright for the rest of the fabrics.

So I am voting for Dotty Nancy. Since you like dots Although I might put the dark brown for the dots collection yesterday and try it in place of the pink one.

In the end you should go with your own heart regardless of what we vote.

Unknown said...

I still like the first set with the green.

Anonymous said...

I bought 10 fat quarters at a quilt shop sale yesterday and panicked because I need to pick 4 of them for place-mats I'm going to make. Stampin' Quilter Barb has promised to help me with that. Sorry Pat, I'm stretched to the max with picking fabrics right now. Good luck, they all look good to me!

quiltingnana said...

what choices....let them out on a table for a couple of days and each time you walk by them, see what catches your eye....what doesn't seem to belong and what goes together

Betsy said...

I like Genes version with the blue until I saw Dottys. I think the marron in the dots does a lot to it.

Joanne Lendaro said...

I love them both!! I'm a blue gal, so my first pick would be the Gene Pool, but I'm trying to get out of my box, so I might pick the Dotty pile to acheive that. Not much help am I...Good Luck, either will be beautiful!

Tangos Treasures said...

LOL I'd like to see Dotty Nancy with the brownish color out & in it's place the green?

hetty said...

It is difficult to see the colours on a computer screen. I would go along with what Quiltingnana said and leave them out for a few days - maybe rearrange them occasionally and see what 'calls out' to you. Although I love blues, I would definately leave the green in no matter what group you decide on.

Anonymous said...

PS: It's worse than I thought. I just looked at the fat quarters I bought yesterday in bundles, and there are 12 of them! I'm in the same boat as you, Pat.

Needled Mom said...

I'll take the one with the dots!

Danielle said...

I like Gene's choice- but since he picked it out, and now thinks it's too strong, that made me giggle! I'm sure whatever you decide will look great! Keep us 'posted' on which you choose!

Anonymous said...

Either one is fine... I just love the idea of the swap!

andsewon said...

I would use A...I like the zip the dots add(I would audition all but the dark one) but would take out the brown fabric put green from B in there.
Remember someone will be adding fabrics to it so they mad add Blues as accents.;-)

Wow... 5 mths to wait and see what you get back!!

I would forget about it and it would be a surprise!! Ha! Ha!

Rosa said...

I love A but whatever you decide will be nice.

Have a great week

arlette said...

I preffer Dotty Nancy, although it has too much pink, it's a good mix!. I have the same floral fabric, as you do(it's darker than yours), and I'm thinking to mix mine with pink, purple and golden-brown

Nancy said...

Ok, now that I have scrolled the page up and down and up and down at least a dozen gazillion times, this is what I would do.
Take Dotty Nancy (nice name!!) and put the green back in, take the brown out and keep the dots.

Let's see what that looks like.

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful fabrics. While I love blue, I think it takes away from the lovely floral print. I think the fabrics that allow the floral print to shine are best, but A is my favorite.

I enjoyed Micki's article on you today. Nice to meet you!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Mandy said...

I think you should go with Gene's! It's beautiful... and has just the right splash of colour

Unknown said...

G'morn, Love the first set, MINUS those dots

Have a beautiful week.
TTFN ~ Marydon

Kathy said...

I would do what several others have suggested - use the one with the pink dots, but take out the brown fabric and replace with either the green or the blue.

I can tell that you are having fun with this exercise. And so are all of us!

Myra said...

Great fabrics Pat. Here is a thought! How about going with Gene's suggestion of the blue, and Nancy's suggestion of the dots, buy going with the blue dot fabric? Just a thought! 8-)

Winona said...

I still like the original set A. Winona

Barb said...

Gene

Rhonda said...

Well, I like the fabric grooup with the dotty fabric......you could border in "GREEN"""" I love green, too.

Sara said...

I like the idea of a blue in Gene's - but not that blue! It is too overpowering...maybe a softer blue...

Don't like the polka dot one - The fabric doesn't seem to go.

Decisions, decisions...

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I agree with Sara (previous comment) ... that blue is just not quite right in the Genepool photo. However, if you go the Group C and replace the berries fabric with the floral fabric, then I think it will work well because the deep rose/pink and the darker green blend have the same type of intensity that the blue does. The floral is busy and I think those three colors would both "tone down" the floral and at the same time make all the flowers and leaves "pop". Oh, boy, you have a decision on your hands!!!

Julia said...

Sometimes it's so hard to choose colours...go with your heart Pat.
Julia ♥

Gari in AL said...

I really like Gene Pool. He has a good eye and it really does bring out the blue in the focus fabric.

Maggey and Jim said...

I am definitely going with the one with the pink polka dots. But it's entirely up to you..
Maggey
Thanks for visiting my blog.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Okay since B was thrown out, I guess now I'll go with C. Maybe I'm choosing for me and not you...humm.

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Pat,
I like the last group the best of all the combinations. The one with the blue is too strong ( like Sara and Gene said) If you found a softer blue to put with the pansies it might work. In the end you will find the combo that works best- let your heart tell you-
Good luck with the project.
Regards,
Anna

Val said...

Dots. That is the one! Perfect.