Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A "get-away" day.....

Yesterday hubby and I had a "getaway" day to Dover. For us, that is the "big city"......about 40 miles north of here with many more stores than we have here. The day promised to be sunny and warm, so off we went (after being sure good friend Linda No-Blog was able to let our dog out midday). First stop was the Amish fabric shop. You need to go on a day with good light as the only source of light other than the windows in that shop is some small gas lanterns. Hubby enjoyed looking out the back window at a little Amish girl handing clothing piece-by-piece to an Amish woman to hang on the clothesline. It was really cute! I got some fabric there.......
some are "just because" fabrics and the 4 on the right, I believe I will use to make a "fractured diamond" runner using a technique shown on Rhonda's blog. She made a great quilt with that technique. Go look to see how easy it is (and tell her I sent you).I also got a few other items there but I'm not showing them as they are going to be put aside for my next giveaway....which isn't too far off and is only for my regular readers who comment on my blog (so....stay tuned!!!) We made a stop at the Amish food store and then we went to Joann Fabrics as there were some very good sales there yesterday. Actually, we went there TWICE. When we first went, it was super-crowded and there were no shopping carts available and the line at the cutting table was VERRRRRRY long. We decided to leave and go to a few other stores and to eat lunch and then went back there. Since my arm is still sore, hubby was kind enough to go into the store with me (usually he'll wait in the car at that store!) and helped me load bolts of fabric into the cart. This is my haul from there: green fleece that I am going to use as my backing for the siggy quilt so it will be nice and cozy!
I also got some Kona cottons....black and white...on sale for just $2.99 a yard.....GREAT price! The fabric on the right isn't showing well in the photo...it's a pretty green with a gold design in it....I will use that to make new valances for the kitchen windows.Then I went a little bit DOTTY....as you can see. The one on the right will be used for some of the centers of the pineapple quilt blocks I'll soon be starting. The others will be part of a "collection"....you know....that good old "just because" collection!!! I did get some boring tan flannel that I use as a thin batting in some of my runners and also some boring Heat & Bond Lite.....not showing them as they are not fun to see. (Kind of like underwear....a necessity but no fun to buy or view! LOL)Oh, yes....one more really fun purchase....a Jim Shore figurine to add to my collection and this one is suitable for Valentine's Day. It is a kitty and it's called "Cozy Heart". Isn't it cute? Now.....just so you don't think it was all about ME in Dover, hubby got a new game for our Wii. It's a music game and he is loving it so far. We both had a good "getaway day"!!!

37 comments:

Joyful Quilter said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day out. Love all your finds. I don't know about the underwear...if you got yours at Victoria's they might be fun to show. Hehehehe...sorry, couldn't help myself.

Betsy said...

Pat sounds like a wonderful day. Great fabrics and Knoa for $2.99? That is a dream. I like your new Jim Shore figurine.

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow sounds like you both had a great day!! Love your new fabrics!
And the kitty is fabulous!

hetty said...

Nothing beats a day of shopping!Love all your new fabrics! Cozy Heart is adorable.

Jackie's Stitches said...

What a wonderful day! The Amish Fabric store sounds fantastic!

Kathleen said...

Sounds like a great day. Kitty it so cute!

Joanne Lendaro said...

Such a perfect day. Love the fabrics, the first set is my favorites. Good to see that you are helping the economy! : )

Lindabee said...

After reading your blog today, I shall certainly look at underwear in a whole new light. I'm so jealous of your dot fabrics. Can't wait to see the new quilt.

Gene Black said...

Great shopping day! I will have to go back to Rhonda's blog and study that tutorial.

LyndaG said...

Pat - sounds like a great day. Your rain in Deleware turned to a foot of snow here in Maine - have to wait for some light to get a picture.

Crispy said...

What a wonderful day you had. We are having a "date night" tonight, this consists of doing our shopping but also a lovely relaxing dinner together....even if it ends up just being at Burger King LOL.

Crispy

luv2quilt2 said...

I love the little figurine. You have so many sweet ones. What a great getaway day. You got some really frabricy treasures!

quiltingnana said...

great day!!!

Anonymous said...

Fun day Pat! Sounds like a wonderful time and nothing like time spent away from the norm.

Debi said...

What a wonderful get away day with your hubby. I also am on a polka dots hunt, will have to check out Joanns....my DH won't even to to this store!

Kathy said...

The cat is adorable! And you certainly had a successful shopping for fabric trip. How sweet that your husband went into the fabric store to help you. Most husbands (at least the ones I know) seem to disappear when confronted with all that fabric and long lines of women waiting to pay.

Jocelyn said...

Wow Pat you sure had a productive getaway day! Love your polka dot fabrics. And the kitty is so cute.

Nancy said...

How fun to have a day in the big city! I love those polka dots...

I have never used flannel as a batting, but it sounds perfect for a table runner. Do you prewash?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the makings for a big day...I'll bet it was good for the soul to go out and "play"

The Other Barb said...

sounds & looks like you had a great day! love the fabrics & can't wait to see what you make with it all.

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like a fun and productive day!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Wow! I think it sounds like you had an excellent day out, Pat! Love the fabrics in the first picture! :-)

Unknown said...

wow, what a lucky girl you are. when you buy fabric, you don't play around. love the new jim shore.

Barb said...

What a fun day and all those goodies.....I just had a senior moment, I was going to tell you something and forgot....what is up with that? Hummmmmmmmmmmmm

Marlene said...

Sounds like you both had fun. Love your fabrics and the cute kitty.

Dena said...

What a perfect day. Love your fabric purchases and the Cozy Heart figurine is adoreable.

Danielle said...

Love all the dots, and what a cute little kitty!

Julia said...

Fun day Pat! Sounds like a wonderful time and good to get-away for a while..
Julia ♥

Rachel said...

What a great shopping day. I absolutely LOVE your polka-dot fabrics! And the little cat figurine is so cute... you can leave him out all year :)

I'm glad you had a nice day out with your hubby.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a great get away day Pat! I love all of your purchases!

paront1222@comcast.net said...

YAY for dots :)
I love dots too. I've started a collection to make a dotty quilt one of these days :)
Peggy

Rhonda said...

Hi Pat....sorry it took so long before my visit to your wonderful blog today....but that diagonal quilt was kicking my backside....LOL....You purchased some great fabrics...I really like the "Just because" ones.....you see it, you need it!
Take care.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!!!!

Cora said...

Hi Pat, It was fun to read your blog and catch up after the holidays. I too hit the sale at our local Jo Ann's this weekend and spent more than I want to admit.

Sara said...

Wonderful day out!!! And, the cat is adorable!!! Oh, I like the idea of flannel as a batting in tablerunners. I sometimes find that regular batting is too thick.

Unknown said...

all the fabrics are beautiful....what a great getaway for you.....gaslights in a quilt shop...how cool and what an atmosphere.......

Gill said...

you're all so lucky in the us to have such fabulous fabric shops - we have nothing like the variety or the price here in the uk!
gill