Monday, January 11, 2010

Am I the only one.......?


*sigh* Am I the only one who feels sad when the Christmas tree is taken down? Please tell me I'm not! I know it's a lot of work to put it up and also to take it down and pack the ornaments away (and some might feel good when the job is done), but Iwe am not happy when it's gone. Aside from the space looking "bare", I miss the prettiness of the tree at night...when the house is quiet and I can sit and hand-sew or read and enjoy the fireplace and the tree. We took ours down last night (we leave it up through Epiphany and take it down as soon as we can after that). I'm a bit melancholy about it now....but I'll recover by tomorrow! Here is a photo of part of the tree and the fireplace. Isn't it pretty? Okay.......I'll get over it now and do some sewing today and show you a sewing photo tomorrow. (Thanks for letting me whine a bit here today.)

35 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand as I always feel it's all a bit bare when all the pretties are put away .

Tangos Treasures said...

Awww whine away!! LOL It does look pretty!!

Joanne Lendaro said...

I just took ours down this weekend...so yep, I get it....

Jackie's Stitches said...

Our house looked bare when we took ours down...but it didn't last long. I do miss the lights in the evening!

Terry said...

I have a palm tree in the living room that has white lights on it and a pine tree in the bedroom with white lights too. This way I don't miss the Christmas tree quite so much when I take it down. :0)

luv2quilt2 said...

I always love my trees, but by the time Christmas is over, I'm ready to get them down and have my house back to normal. I really miss them the first night when there are no more lights, but that passes pretty quickly. They'll be back!

karenshopes said...

I feel sad that some of our nicest ornaments only get put out for a couple of weeks a year and are then packed away,but I suppose thats what helps to make christmas magical. I find it hard to make any christmas things for the same reason.
Karen

Unknown said...

No, I understand how you feel. But keep your chin up, Christmas will be here again sooner than you think!

Crispy said...

It's ok to whine Pat, the house always looks so empty after the Christmas decorations are down.

Crispy

Kathy said...

I put my decorations up Thanksgiving weekend, so by New Year's Day, I am really tired of seeing all that red and green and glad to get them put away! This year, because I was at Kate's for Christmas, I left my decorations up unitl Epiphany. Didn't have a tree, however - too much trouble since I wasn't here.

Still, I know what you mean about being sad that a special time is over. However, you can decorate for Valentine's Day, it isn't far away! LOL

bubbygigi said...

Pat, your tree does look lovely and I can understand how you feel. Thank you for your compliment on my applique piece. I've had lots of practice with applique. I'm also working to finish an applique quilt kit that I purchased about thirty years ago. The name of the quilt is Tree of Life and must have hundreds of pieces. One of these days, I'll post a partially done picture. Happy sewing. Gita

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Ohh your tree is so sparkly. I, on the other hand, like my tree down the day after christmas - if I could get away with it I'd take it down christmas night. I'm not a scrooge, just like the house back to normal and it looks so neat and clean.

Nancy said...

ok, sing it now....

It's my blog and I can whine if I want to....
whine if I want to...
whine if I want to...

You would whine to if it happened to you....

LOL

I loved taking down the tree. The house always looks so much cleaner...

The Other Barb said...

pretty Christmas tree & decorations Pat! We have a small livingroom so I'm always ready to get back to "normal" . My tradition is to take it down New Year's Day.But I put up my snowmen collection & keep them around 'til March.

Needled Mom said...

I always hate to take mine down too. It is so pretty in the evenings with the lights on.

Kaye said...

We took ours down this weekend too. I don't miss it, we had it up long enough, and to be truthful I miss the Snowmen more that the tree!

Jocelyn said...

I always used to be so sad to see the Christmas tree come down. Lately I've been really ready for it to come down and get my house back in order. We have a small home, and it takes up a lot of space. We took ours down last weekend, but the boxes are still on the carport to be stashed out in the shed.

andsewon said...

Me too..kinda /sorta...;-)I too love how it all makes our cozy home look even more cozier.
As you know this year was an off year for me but still had some things up.
So doing that today putting them away. Yes we always wait till after Old Christmas Day also.
I just look at it as an opportunity to tweak things a bit...maybe move stuff around or not put same things back.
A lil whine is okay once in a while but chin up gal..soon it will be beachy weather.. or I sure hope so was 10F this AM!!!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

You are not alone, Pat. My tree is still up and I don't take it down til the middle of January. It's such a cold month and so dreary that I like to keep the sparkle of Christmas as long as I can. You got it right when you described the "prettiness of the tree at night". It just adds a calmness to the house and I love it. :-)

Danielle said...

Of course, when it looks as lovely as yours, it would be hard to take it all down! Don't be sad, before you know it the snow will be melted and we will be decorating for Spring!

p.s. those brownies from yesterday looked yummo! Never let any chocolate go to waste, good or yucky!

LINDA BYLSMA said...

I know just what you are saying. As I took ours down on Jan 2, I talked with DH about how pretty the tree was this year. Since we are going to add on to the house, maybe we can have two trees next year!!! He groaned. I have enough ornaments to decorate about 4, and we rotate the decorations each year. I am still missing my pretty tree with the red and white lights and the angels and trumpets. Sigh. That corner looks so dull now.

Unknown said...

i understand what your saying, I think if I had more room, I would leave mine up till new years. but we were crammed this year for space so it came down the day after christmas.

Rae Ann said...

I am right there with you Pat! I still have mine up and will be sad this week when it comes down.
I quess we will have to just look forward to next year!

Barb said...

Trust me Christas will be around all too soon....but I hope your day brightens up as it goes along....

Sara said...

I think there is a part of us that wants to keep the "prettiness" of the lights and peacefulness that fills the house when the tree is lit.

Roslyn said...

As much as I love the christmas tree etc, by the time Epiphany rolls around I am tired of the clutter & I despise packing it all away wrapping up all those little delicate ornaments is a tedious job!
I feel good when it's all cleared away & the house is neat again.
Honestly i don't miss it, Pat!

Unknown said...

it is a beautiful tree.....I am never sad to take them down though......maybe I need to enjoy them more, I dont know? I love my tree and all the pink ornaments, but I also usually need the space it occupies too......hope your sewing got you over the melancholies!!!!

hetty said...

Having a tree is lots of fun. Once when you take out all the decorations and think about the memories and another time when you put away all the decorations and think about how nice it is to have more space in the room. I finally got mine put away yesterday. And it feels good!

Betsy said...

I feel the same way too.
I really wish I could leave it as is and just store it all decorated.
It did give the house a beautiful peacefulness.

Rachel said...

I understand... it's not just about the 'bareness' of the room, but also the end of the season and all the wonderful feelings and events that go with it.

However, by the time we take down our tree, I'm usually glad to see it go and have my house back. I put away the rest of the Christmas 'stuff' last night. Ahhhh.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your tree is beautiful Pat. I miss ours too!

Crafts a la Mode said...

You are not alone. I put my trees up before Thanksgiving because otherwise I feel like they are up for such a short time and the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas fly right by! I do get some flak around here, though. My husband says it's way too early, but by the beginning of January I don't feel quite as sad to take them down. Take care, Linda

Myra said...

I haven't taken our tree and decorations down yet... I may get to it tomorrow though... I told my friend that I am tempted to leave the Christmas lights up around the room... She said "don't you dare"...? What's the big deal? LOL!
I like the soft lights and the mood it sets...

Volunteering abroad said...

You are not the only one friend. I also feel sad when the Christmas tree is taken down because it is one of those things who brings life and joy to our home. Anyway, I know soon it is return and be put again. How I wish everyday is a Christmas day. LOL!!!

Val said...

I understand too. My daughter takes hers down so quick. She just gets where she can't stand it anymore. I didn't get to put one up this year due to wedding and going out of town during holidays but I will next year. I am already excited.