Friday, March 20, 2009

Some progress......

The other day when I showed you my basket of fabric strips. I decided to use my old machine to start making some string blocks. This will keep me busy while the new machine is in for repair. What I love about making scrappy string blocks is that you can get different looks by turning the blocks different ways or by using sashing (or not) between blocks. Here are the 4 blocks I've done so far....arranged 3 different ways. It's fun to play around with them, because nothing needs to line up...you can make it be a little on the funky side....and I like that once in awhile! So...I just pick a strip...any strip...any color...any width...and I add it to the block. Whatever way it falls when I put the blocks together is just fine with me, because in the end, these string block quilts have a charm and character all their own. No "matchy-matchy" for me with this kind of block!

14 comments:

Betsy said...

Thank you for sharing that Pat. Funny how they all do look different.

Gene Black said...

At first I thought I was looking at some of the blocks I made.
I just read in the past few days, that I can make those using the batting and backing as the foundation and do it "quilt as you go"! I my have to "convert" the ones I have made already into QAYG blocks.

Nancy said...

Love the blocks. Our guild just had a quick mini-program on these. I really need to get my kid prints out and make a charity quilt...

Crispy said...

Very cool Pat, I've always like the way it's laid out in the first picture. I've read that you sew the strips onto a foundation. Excuse this silly question, but why do you need to sew them onto a foundation?

Crispy

Kaye said...

I kinda like the first one. That old singer has life in her yet!

Susan said...

the first is my favorite. I have never made a string block but it looks so pretty Must give it a try
hugs
Susan

Anonymous said...

Anything that looks scrappy is always my choice, so I like them all!

Kim Walus said...

Okay Pat! I totally agree. I gave you 12 pts.

BTW I love your string quilt. It's on my list of quilts I want to make someday. I like the first block configuration the best.

Thanks for coming to my party! I had a lot of fun!

LINDA BYLSMA said...

I've been doing the same thing with my scraps, ever since Gene inspired me. I was wondering what to do with them, since none of them match, and now I know it doesn't matter. I am, still, considering using them as pockets on tote bags.

Barb said...

I will have to do that, I am laughing because I go to others blogs and think, I will have to do that...there needs to be more of me.

Rachel said...

I'm all for projects that allow me to use up the odds and ends -- and not buy yet more fabric. Great idea. One day, I might try it. As it is, I'm so behind in the projects I already started. Just can't seem to get motivated the last couple of weeks.

limpingalong said...

You inspired me to start these and they really do look nice. Thanks for the suggestion!

Does anyone know where I can see a "Chinese Coin" quilt displayed?

Val said...

These look great! I just went through my fabric and pulled out a bunch of stuff that I took home from my sister's MANY years ago. Same with stuff I took when mom died in '92. Am going to send it to the womens' prison. Found a bunch of strips and maybe I should try something like this. Lucky you winning the embroidery too!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I love scrappy quilts and have always wanted to do a scrappy strips one. I like the first layout of the blocks. Maybe one day I'll get to this project. :-)