Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A fun stitchery project....

Recently I found a cute set of alphabet blocks that are done in stitchery. I found them here. Below is a picture of the first 4 blocks (click to enlarge and see the detail better). I will do them in "greenwork" with each of the alphabet letters done in blue. I know...I know...the pattern was intended for redwork, but I tend to do my own thing quite often (as you may have noticed). I have also included a photo of my work so far on the A block...an angel holding an angel food cake. I think this will turn out to be a cute quilt for me...since I am a retired teacher. I know it will take awhile to work on this...and I'm sure I'll work on a block or two and then take a break before going back to it, but I do hope to get it done by the end of the summer. I figure working on small blocks by hand will be fun when sitting on the screen porch sipping tea or even at the beach or by the pool. :)

10 comments:

Betsy said...

Pat those are so cute.
I started some but it does not work for me.

Gene Black said...

Sometimes a project that takes a little time is a way to relax. That is as important as getting it made.

Unknown said...

Lots of hand work in that. I know you like that kind of thing. It looks great so far. Can't wait to see the end result.

Nancy said...

ok, let's set the record straight. LOL Redwork IS traditionally done in red (turkey red to be exact) BUT the term redwork refers to the outline stitching of the pattern not to the color of the thread. What you are doing would be called Redwork in Green (and blue).
I need to check those out!!

Debi said...

Nothing wrong with doing your own thing..I once stitched 9 blocks in purple!

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Any colour is just fine Pat as long as you love it! The angel holding the angelfood cake is too cute for words! Can't wait to see this project unfold....

Barb said...

Those are adorable. I am not one to do stichery, not very good at it. Even those Bunny Hill BOM has some stichery in them and I have such a hard time with it.

I will definitely go and look at the site you mentioned above.

Sara said...

I love it...I used to do embroidery a lot...I'll have to talk about that on my blog one day...maybe tomorrow....

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I have saved all those blocks and figure in about five years, I'll get to them. LOL!! They are all really cute.

Amy said...

Pat,
Your stitchery blocks are great.I like the green alot..I do things my way to,lol!