Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Make your own grocery tote bag.....


I now am the "proud owner" of several reusable totes from various grocery stores in the area. I don't really like doing their advertising, but I do like the idea of not using all those plastic bags that just end up in the garbage dump and don't decompose easily (if ever). I've been thinking of making some totes of my own. I came across a webpage that has a list of several patterns for these. I'm thinking maybe some of you would be interested in seeing the patterns, too. Click HERE for the list of them. (Gee....some more things to add to my "to do someday" list!!! Just what I need!!!)

12 comments:

Gene Black said...

Pat, my only problem is that I remember the bags are in the car AS I am in the checkout line with my groceries ON the counter.

Anonymous said...

Pat, I have a couple of the store bags, but never remember to use them, so I just keep bringing home more plastic ones. I have a question, what do you use to dispose of trash if you don't re-use those plastic bags? I've consoled myself with re-using and re-cycling them, but after reading your comment that they may never decompose, I'm feeling guilty. We all have to think seriously about this!

Millie said...

Pat, you have a good idea going with using your own grocery bags. It is the first time I am visiting your blog and I have so much fun.

LINDA BYLSMA said...

Thanks for the site. I have about 10 of those grocery bags, and have started appliquing some of my string stripe blocks on them to cover the adds! Very pretty.
For my store, I bought a supply of plastic bags that decompose in the landfills. In fact, they might even start the process if they get rained on. I don't feel so guilty giving them out.

andsewon said...

We have some stores here getting ready to do away with them totally also county is involved.
When those bags get into the cotton crop they mess it up when it is harvested and brings in less money. Also they are a danger to our wild life in our waterways here. Well ya know those Pampers will be there for the next million years too..;-)
I am working on a bag now using the plastic bag as my pattern.DH will forget to take them so thinking I need to do him some FELLA ONES.. ha!!
Lola

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I cut out two grocery bags from some fabric just before Christmas and they are still laying in my "to sew" pile. Like I said on my blog this morning....I have a gazillion projects in progress :-)
I really should stitch them up but then I'd probably do what Gene does and leave them in the car. LOL!!!

Barb said...

I tried to comment last night but my computer would not let me....so hopefully, this will not print twice. It is funny but sometimes if I do not have that much stuff, I will just say no thank you to the bag...I get the strangest look. I will have to go there and maybe my sewing group will like to do some. Thanks.

Sara said...

I need to make some for myself. I have some from the stores - but, I too hate to advertise for someone.

Betsy said...

Pat thank you for sharing the link with us.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

I love the bags..WHY?? They are NOT plastic!

Pat

Crispy said...

I have around 25 "green" bags so I always have some in the car. I would like to make some of my own one of these days, but not a priority right now.

Crispy

Val said...

Thanks for the links. I have been thinking about doing up some bags would be a useful project. I want to get some cotton webbing for them.