Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The brown bag fat quarters....Chapter 3...

After two posts on here and a lot of very-much appreciated feedback from many of you, I am going with the assortment pictured here. You may gasp and say, "What is she DOING?" Don't worry...... I will explain below the photo. Click on it to see it in greater detail.
A quilting friend who is known to be wonderful with color and does stunning quilted pieces stopped by my blog (at my request) and looked over all the combos I'd selected. She said the photo above is what I should do.....a combo I'd never have come up with on my own. She told me to take that photo and change it (with my photo program) to black and white and look at it that way....which I did and which I'll show you below. When I did that, it became apparent that I had a good blend of one light fabric (the dotted one), two mediums (the prints) and one dark (the green). Seeing them in black and white, she told me, allows you to see the color "value" of the fabrics...and you can see what is going to "read" as light, medium and dark and see if you have a good blend. At first I was skeptical of those two prints in the same quilted item, but even when I put them side-by-side, they do look fine together....and no matter how I rearranged those 4 fat quarters, each one looked good alongside every other one. So...this will be it. I wonder if the person who GETS my brown bag will be horrified when they see this combo??? LOL I will be eagerly anticipating when we get our fabric back MADE into something in July. Oh...yes...here is the black and white photo in which you can see.....1 light fabric.....2 mediums....and 1 dark. I'm sure it will work (but, of course, the person making the surprise for me with these fabrics can also add others, so that could change EVERYTHING!!!)

27 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a great trick and I have used that one in the past! I think the combo looks great! Job well done.

Tangos Treasures said...

Awesome what great advice!! I'm going to have to try that black & white photo idea!

Gene Black said...

Duh, I should have tried that myself. I use a red filter to check my paintings for contrast. Why have I never thought to use it with fabric?

Crispy said...

Wonderful combo you will be using! The B&W idea is great. I have one of those Ruby Beholders that is a wonderful tool, except if you are playing with reds LOL.

Crispy

Jackie's Stitches said...

I think you made a good choice. I've heard of the black and white tip before and need to try it myself!

Nancy said...

DUH!! I do this all the time. I am glad the dotty got to stay....

Can't wait to see the finished project. Is there a deadline?

Unknown said...

G'morn ~ Will have to see the finished project ... glad you are happy with the combinations.

Pop over for our giveaway ..........

Happy Valentine's ~
TTFN ~ Marydon

Joanne Lendaro said...

Wow!! How cool is that trick! Can't wait to see the finished project.

hetty said...

Cool trick! I've heard of it, but never tried it. Can't wait to see this finished.

Anonymous said...

Great trick, but it takes some time on the computer (which I'm trying to decrease), so I may just continue to squint at my fabrics. Somehow that pops out the lights, mediums, and darks too.

Kaye said...

pretty cool huh?

Rhonda said...

Wow Pat, this is a great tip in order to see value.....I'll have to remember this......and you made a great choice with the "GREEN"....LOL

Debi said...

Love the fabrics, espeically the polka dot!

Winona said...

Pat,I think you made a great choice. I am really glad you put the green back. Winona

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

These look great together, Pat. Love, it! There was someone who came and spoke at our quilt group and I can't recall her name but she talked about value and it was really interesting. I have some little clear thing that allows you to do this with fabrics. Can't recall where I got it. It will be interesting to see what returns to you from the person who gets your bag!

andsewon said...

Looks good!! I had forgot the B/W thing too.
Oh well glad you made your choice...now to wait to see how it comes back...;-)

Joyful Quilter said...

I've been thinking about buying a Ruby Beholder, I think I'll try this first. Thanks for sharing. I like the fabric combination ( I should, I think I have 3 out of 4 of your fabrics.)

julieQ said...

A beautiful combo! You know the person who gets you bag will absolutely love it and have a hard time giving it back.

ooglebloops said...

That is definitely a good tip - I will love seeing what you do and what you get back!!!

Sara said...

And, I use a door peephole thing to check mine...duh...

Your friend is absolutely right!

Great choice...

Oh, and it's actually in the MAIL!

Julia said...

Well, that's someting I learnt today Pat...I would never have thought to do that..thanks to you and your friend.
Julia ♥

Val said...

I never have heard of that little idea. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Myra said...

Well Pat, that is an interesting combo!!! LOL! I will indeed look forward to what is done with it... 8-)
I shall have to remember that B&W trick of yours...

The Other Barb said...

I like the combo. Some poeple just have a knack to putting fabrics together.I'm not one of them.
The black & white idea is a great one. One that I'll remember & use for sure.

Maggey and Jim said...

Oh, yes, that will work and I like it.
Maggey

Unknown said...

I like both sets, I dont think anyone will be horrified!

Patty said...

I love the combination you ended up with. Wish I had your friends eye for color. Sometimes I feel mine are all to blended. Guess I'll have to try what you did next time and see what combos other quilters come up with for me.