Saturday, February 20, 2010

Second post for today....SEW-IN project.....


This is a second post today as I'm supposed to show what I worked on last night during Heidi's "Sew-In" that I mentioned here late yesterday. I sat with the Olympics on TV and did hand-quilting on my spider web table topper. I did stitch-in-the-ditch on 1/4 of the center "web" and also got echo quilting done on 1/4 of the muslin sections (which you can see here). In pictures, it doesn't look like a lot was accomplished but for those of you who do hand-quilting, you know it was several hours worth of work. I'm happy with how it's coming out....I love to do hand-quilting on pieces this size!!!

29 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

I'm not participating in the Friday Sew-In, but since the Olympics started, I spend sometime each day preparing work to do by hand in the evening while I watch. I'll be looking forward to you posting the table topper when it's complete.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

That quilting is going to be perfect for that topper! And yes, I know just how much time you put into it! I enjoyed the ice dancing last night and look forward to more!

Rhonda said...

Great job Pat! Working on small things to quilt is soothing.

Rhonda said...

Great job Pat! Working on small things to quilt is soothing.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your hand quilting is wonderful!

Rachel said...

That's beautiful, Pat. Hand quilting does take a lot of time - I still haven't finished my table topper that I was quilting by hand. I actually did some on the sewing machine thinking I should just get it done, but I don't like the way it looks so I'll rip it out and finish it by hand.

I love the spider web pattern. This is going to be gorgeous. Can't wait to see it finished!

Unknown said...

Wonderful piece to be working on and yes, the hand quilting takes time, but from what I see here oh so worth it. My fingers don't lend to hand work anymore, but I certainly appreciate what you have accomplished.

Maggey and Jim said...

Love the piece and Mr. Couple does the hand quilting here and I see how much goes in to one..Good job..
Maggey

Unknown said...

this is just getting "prettier and prettier'....I love how you decided to quilt it...melinda

Gene Black said...

Ahh... I have been wanting to try hand quilting and a small project like a table topper may be the answer!
Thanks Pat!!!

Joyful Quilter said...

So pretty, such patience. Some day I'll hand quilt something.

Julia said...

Great job Pat! Working on small things to quilt is fun...Your quilting is perfect..
Julia ♥

Betsy said...

Pat , it looks great and you are using my favorite quilting technique.

ooglebloops said...

It's beautiful - almost looks like looking down on a beach umbrella!!!

Val said...

Love it, Love it, Love it! I haven't got to post mine yet but hopefully tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ooglebloops, this looks very beachy. A table topper is perfect for this central design, and I can see a whole quilt of them being striking too.

Crispy said...

You got a lot done!! I bet your fingers are sore this morning :0)

Crispy

Terry said...

Your quilting looks great! :0)

Jean said...

Looks great. I like to handquilt small pieces also, don't have the patience for the larger ones, after one took me 3 years....lol...well didn't actually work on it continuously!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

The colors are lovely - the handwork terrific.

Barb said...

I absolutely love this spider web--I have not tried one, someday I will have to! Love your colors!

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow is that pretty!!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I clicked on the photo and your hand stitching is wonderful. I haven't done hand quilting for a while, I'll have to do that again.

Anonymous said...

ooh! that's pretty... like a kaleidoscope!

hetty said...

Lovely quilting, Pat. Do you use a hoop when you quilt? Just wondering since your piece is pin basted.

SheilaC said...

OH, you got a lot done in the sew in! I ended up not being home so didn't sew :(

BUT I did get my UFO done for February last week, so that's something!

SheilaC

Shelina said...

Great color scheme on your spiderweb!

Unknown said...

It looks good. My hand sewing looks horrible on the back of the quilts. The fronts look good though. I can't quite figure it out.

Pat said...

That spiderweb takes me back a few years. LOL Those are a lot of fun to do. I sure like the fabrics in yours. It is real pretty.