Thursday, February 4, 2010

A fun table topper.....


This is a scrappy table topper I whipped up for fun...not because I needed another project, but I just wanted to do something fast and fun. Everything didn't turn out perfect, but it was a lot of fun to make! I used the "spider web" technique taught to me by my blogging friend, Rhonda. (Click HERE for her blog.) She was also kind enough to send me a template for it and some already-traced parts! This is about 20 inches square (actually would make a FUN quilt to do a lot of blocks this size and put them together, wouldn't it?) I am going to show this to our Lakeside Ladies (my neighborhood quilting group) when we meet next week as they might want to learn this fun technique, too. I need some advice, though. I am going to hand-quilt this and I know the "plain" areas need something done with them. (I can stitch in the ditch in the colored areas.) I need some ideas....so feel free to tell me what kind of quilting you think I should do on this piece. Thanks!

32 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Oh Pat that is so pretty!!
I hardley quilt by hand anymore so I'm no help :(

Jackie's Stitches said...

It's pretty! How about echo quilting?

Gene Black said...

ha ha... I had NOT read the comments before I looked at it. I decided on echo quilting in the white areas. Just repeating the white area shape.

Terry said...

Very pretty! :0)

Joanne Lendaro said...

That Rhonda is so talented and you are a very good student. Looks great, love the color!!

Willow Lake Stitches said...

Very cute and fun ! I may have to give it a try ! Thanks for sharing.

Beth

Nancy said...

I am not a hand quilter, so if it was mine I would machine quilt echo lines in the white space....

It's very nice....

Kathy said...

Such a pretty block. Of course, maybe I like it because green and blue are the colors in my living room and colors that I wear frequently.

The block looks very complicated. I'm not ready to tackle that one. However,one of these days, I will try to piece and quilt some easy blocks. Any suggestions? I only do machine work - hate hand sewing!

quiltingnana said...

it depends upon the batting you use and how much space can be left open. Sometimes I like to leave spaces unquilted ...that emphasizes the quilted area more...other than that, echo quilting may work

Crispy said...

A very pretty block Pat. I agree with the echo quilting but not just one line of it...fill up the space.

Crispy

Anonymous said...

I don't hand quilt anymore either, so machine quilting in the ditch around the octagons (and partial octagons) is probably what I'd do. It will make them pop out and be very pretty. I think I'd also do in the ditch stitching around the border. Then I'd finish it off with a tie in the center of the main octagon. I always love anything scrappy, this is very cute!

Danielle said...

It does look fun and very pretty! I'd love to see a full size quilt in those colors ~

Anonymous said...

That is a sweet little block and keeping it with some simple echo quilting would be perfect and doable!

SewCalGal said...

Very cute!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Maggey and Jim said...

Oh, I love it.. so pretty..and it looks perfect??
Maggey

Myra said...

Looks great Pat! Check out
http://scrapsandstrings.blogspot.com/
As she has a whole quilt as such on her latest post...
Happy stitchings! 8-)

Barb said...

Love the square and the colors you used...

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

This instantly reminded me of the kaliedascopes we used to play with when I was a kid. I spent hours looking at the fascinating, changing designs.

Unknown said...

oh Pat, I love this...so pretty and really stands out.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

That would be gorgeous to do several blocks and make a large quilt. I am not sure how this one should be quilted so I look forward to seeing what ideas others share!

Sara said...

Seems like I agree with everyone who said Echo quilting - I thought that was perfect the minute I saw the little quilt...

Joyful Quilter said...

I love the blues and greens! It is so cool and fresh looking. I agree with everyone else, echo quilting.

The Other Barb said...

this reminds me of a kalidoscope :)

Janean said...

you WHIPPED it up??? oh now that's just too much talent. hand some of your extra over!!! lol.

pretty blue!

Betsy said...

It looks great Pat. Great color combinations.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Very pretty Pat!

Rachel said...

This is really pretty. I like the spiderweb and string quilts a lot, but haven't tried one yet. How big is your table topper?

Rachel said...

Oh never mind that last question. I really need to pay more attention to what I'm reading. Just as I hit the orange button, I glanced up and saw "20 inches square" above the comment box. Duh.

Unknown said...

I actually did a whole quilt out of these big blocks....I love this one in the blues...so pretty and sometimes it is fun to just make something quick up.....I probably would just do lines in the white mimicking the strips around the edges...not sure if it makes sense or not? Melinda

Beeshebags said...

Looks great....I don't like spiders much, but think I could handle making a web block into a bag, and applique a spider onto it...that would be cute I reckon! Hugs Naomi

SheilaC said...

SO pretty! Love the colors

SheilaC

Carol Anne Strange said...

I love the colours and the spider design, Pat. Most of all, I love your creative energy. Enjoy the weekend! x