Friday, February 12, 2010

The bluebird of happiness......


I'm sure you have all heard of the bluebird of happiness? Well...yesterday, we were visited by that bird and several of his relatives. They came for a feast of berries from one of several shrubs in our yard. We worked to get a photo and after many unsuccessful attempts, we finally got one.......had to "soften" the background a bit so the bird would show as we were taking the photo out one of the windows. Sorry we had our neighbor's truck in the background, but you know those darned birds....they do NOT land where you want them to land and they do NOT cooperate for picture-taking. This was a nice break from shoveling to see these pretty birds....and I thought you might enjoy seeing this picture. You can see the bird more clearly if you click on the photo to enlarge it. This bird makes the colors of blue and orange look so pretty together...might have to use those colors in a quilt block to pay honor to this pretty bird and his friends and relatives who brought some brightness to our day!

30 comments:

Unknown said...

what a pretty bird...........and great picture capturing him there.

Crispy said...

I just love blue birds. I was lucky and saw one when I was in Michigan.

Crispy

Anonymous said...

What a lovely photo! Softening the edges was the finishing touch. There is so much beauty out there right now, so glad you enjoyed it before it starts to get mushy and ugly.

Terry said...

I think that's a great photo! I just love bluebirds. We have them in the yard sometimes but I've never gotten a good picture of them.

luv2quilt2 said...

These pretty little birds are not very common around our house, and when one or two do drop in, I stop everything to watch them.

Kathy said...

Great photo. I like the way the background is foggy. Very arty!

I thought bluebirds migrated south in the winter. Obviously they don't. I never see them in my neighborhood even in summer. I think they prefer areas with open fields - something in short supply in our suburbs!

JustCindy said...

What a beautiful bird! You did a great job with the picture.

Kaye said...

Great picture, did you send him my way? Tell Gary to send that picture to wbog TV

Gene Black said...

Great picture. Nice way to enhance the photo too. The color against the stark whiteness of the snow really pops.

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful! At least the truck is white...it could have been red or something.

Carol Anne Strange said...

Enchanting, Pat! What a wonderful visit and I hope that little blue bird brings you great happiness. x

Anonymous said...

Yup, that qualifies for a quilt block... maybe some fabric shopping too!!!!

;-P
LOL

Rae Ann said...

What a great picture of the bluebird. You are so great at capturing the sweetest pictures!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I didn't even notice the truck when I first looked at the picture! The bird among the twigs and berries was so pretty, I just didn't see the truck. What a lovely photo!

hetty said...

Fantastic capture! I love it! Thanks for sharing. And I didn't even notice the truck until you mentioned it.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wow - great photo - so cheery.

Tangos Treasures said...

Very pretty picture!
Maybe spring is on it's way!

Rhonda said...

Great pic....and listen to you...softening it up.....wow....I'm impress....I can barely take a good picture these days....must be my camera....LOL

Unknown said...

I love bluebirds and this is a beautiful picture! melinda

quiltingnana said...

great photo...wish a bluebird would come to my feeder...mostly I get grackles

julieQ said...

Really love the way you made the picture soft around the edges and focusing on the pretty blue bird.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a great photo Pat and how wonderful that the bluebird of happiness came to visit!!

The Other Barb said...

great picture Pat! I'm looking for our bluebirds to arrive. Send them my way when they are done feating on your berries.

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful picture Pat. I have not seen many birds here lately. Guess they all went further south!

Eva Maria Keiser said...

Beautiful picture, amazing the colors of the bird!

Julia said...

I just love blue birds.We have little Blue Wrens here so pretty.
Julia ♥

SheilaC said...

Beautiful little bird! I have never seen one in our neck of the woods...

SheilaC

Pat said...

Such a nice photo of the pretty little bird, Pat.

Dawn said...

I love the effect of the softening the area around the bird. Great picture!

Gari in AL said...

I copied your picture: if I ever do a picture quilt I think I would like to make one like that.