Thursday, February 25, 2010

Blogging can lead to some unique opportunities...

When I began to blog, I hoped to meet others with similar interests and I have succeeded beyond my expectations. Little did I know, though, that blogs are researched and read by professionals in other walks of life and could lead to other interesting happenings....until two days ago! At that time, I was contacted by a west coast publicist to talk to me about the first-novel of an author for whom she is working. The author is Irene Latham (HERE is her website) from Alabama. She has written a book aimed at young readers (ages 10 and up) that I would classify as historical fiction.....based on the now well-known Gee's Bend quilting community and life there in the early 1930's. I have been offered the exciting opportunity to read the book (title is Leaving Gee's Bend....see cover photo to the right) and to talk about it afterwards on my blog AND to have the author do a guest post or an inteview on this blog for me and for all of you. This book is now in print and has received some very good reviews, so I am quite enthusiastic about being a part of this process. If the book is as good as I expect it to be, I will be happy to "tell the world" (or at least my blogging world and my quilt guild) of a book that contains a heartwarming story of a young quilter leaving the security of her close-knit community for the first time. I anticipate receiving my copy of the book in about a week, so keep looking here for further updates about this and...down the road a bit.....an interview of some type with Ms. Latham. This is a unique opportuniy and I embrace becoming part of helping Ms. Latham to market a book that will give young people a glimpse into the calming, restorative effects of quilting. I'm sure you agree with me that the quilting legacy needs to be cultivated in our young people so it can live on after we are gone. I hope you will join me on this journey and, perhaps, along the way, you might want to get this book and read it, also.

44 comments:

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Well that is totally cool. I had the opportunity to go to a round table discussion group with the ladies of Gees Bend at the High Museum of Art here in Atlanta. That was an amazing experience with some wonderful ladies. One of them sang acapella after the talk which brought me to tears! Amazing Grace,and a couple of other songs...oh my.

Can't wait to see what you think of the book.

Pat

Betsy said...

Definetly very interesting Pat and a great opportunity.

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow how cool is that!!
I didn't know about pro's reading blogs? Guess you just never know who's gonna read it!
Can't wait to hear your review!

Kathleen said...

Very cool! Looking forward to future posts on the book.

Joanne Lendaro said...

That is SOOOOO COOOL!!! How are you going to post, chapter by chapter?? Whoooo...how about a read along???

What fun!!

Kaye said...

Oh my goodness Pat, another hat to wear! Good for you and congratulations on being asked to do it!

Unknown said...

Pat, That is just fantastic for you and for young readers. I recently had and opportunity to see the play Gee's Bend. It was here in Hartford, CT. What a wonderful play and story. I am sure that if this book is anything like the play's storyline, it will be a terrific read.

~Laurie~ said...

Now how cool is that??!!!! This will be so interesting :)
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Good luck with all of this, Pat. As has been commented, it will be very interesting, and I'm looking forward to your impression of the book.

Gene Black said...

Wow. I went to the website to find out a bit more about it. I am now just a bit jealous.

((grin)) I think they should have picked me since I am from Alabama and quilt also!

I suppose I will have to see if I can get this book on my own to read. But first I will wait for your review.

Val said...

I would love to read this book but more than that I would love for my sweet teen (granddaughter) to read it. She is in the process of making her first quilt so I think she would enjoy it. I have got to get her by herself and spend a day with her so she can concentrate on finishing it. This has made me realize that I need to do this. I am looking forward to seeing what you think about this book.

Debi said...

Wow what an opportunity for you. I will be interested in your review.

quiltingnana said...

what a great opportunity. As you know, I collect children's books about quilting and this may just be one I want to add to my collection.

hetty said...

That is so cool! I am very interested in books for kids, especially the over 10 age group. A great opportunity for you and thanks for including us in your reviews! Awesome!

Danielle said...

Wow, Pat, that's way cool! Can't wait to hear what you think of the book!

Jocelyn said...

Wow! What a fun opportunity! It will be interesting to hear you review and to see the interview with the author. Enjoy the book :-)

Micki said...

I know you will enjoy the experience. When I was an English teacher, I read advanced copies of books, and I throughly enjoyed that. I look forward to the review, as I love to read.
Micki

bagladyfromthebay said...

Kudos Pat - how special is this? I too am very interested to hear all about this book, I will be working with my Library branch also and dealing with the same age group. I'm sure it will become a huge success and very motivational for other young teens to pick up and become inspired through.

Irene Latham said...

Hi Pat! Thank you SO MUCH for your enthusiasm... one of the best things about launching this book into the world is the excuse it's given me to hang out with the amazingly talented and creative quilters of the world. Nothing inspire me more. Happy quilting... and happy reading! :)

Anonymous said...

How awesome! Looking forward to reading more!

luv2quilt2 said...

What an exciting opportunity for you! I can't wait to read your review and your interview with the author. Congratulations to you!

Denny said...

Pat, What a wonderful opportunity and I can't think of a better person to review the book than you. I will be on the lookout to read your comments. Hope all is well with you and your daughter.
Hugs,
Denny

Sara said...

Great opportunity...way to go.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Interesting.....I was also contacted .....and you are right....the quilting legacy needs to be cultivated.

Rhonda said...

Oh Pat, how exciting!!!! Life can certainly lead us to great and wonderful things!!!

Needled Mom said...

Congratulations, Pat. This will be exciting.

ooglebloops said...

Irene's name is so familiar - seems like I must have been on her website recently or read about her somewhere. I would love to read that book - I'll have to look for it!!!

Marlene said...

Congratulations. How exciting. Can't wait to see what you think.

Barb said...

That is wonderful!!! I look forward to hearing your review!

Julia said...

Congratulations. How exciting. That's a nice feather in your cap Pat...
Look forward to see what you think!
Julia ♥

limpingalong said...

How exciting! They could not have choosen a better person for this!

SheilaC said...

Congrats Pat!! Can't wait to see the review and interview.... way to go!

SheilaC

Stephanie Hughes said...

Pat, this is so excited! I can't wait to find out what you think of the book and read it too! Steph

quiltmom anna said...

What a nice opportunity for both of you- It looks like a wonderful story- I have enjoyed reading about the ladies of Gee Bend- their quilts are quite amazing. Using Gee bend as the setting is a very cool idea. I will have to keep my eye out for this novel.
Congratulations Pat.
Regards,
Anna

julieQ said...

How fun and interesting! I am so glad for you...she will get some great input from you.

Kathy said...

What a great and interesting opportunity. I can't wait to read your review. Congratulations!

LINDA BYLSMA said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What an awsome opportunity! We have two 9 year old girls that attend our Kept in Stitches group. Faith, one of them, has become quite the avid seamstress and was making quilted place mats for everyone for Christmas. I would love a girl to teach.

Dawn said...

Very Cool Pat! You never know who is reading the blog :) I look forward to your insights on the book.

Unknown said...

how awesome for you and the author and what an honor for you! I cant wait to hear all about the book and I hope it is a good one!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting thing to do. I will be anxious to hear about it again. Good luck, my dear friend.

katieD said...

wow that must have felt very special! I must thank you for your helpful and supportive comments. I was very excited to find anyone had read my musings! I am not too computer literate so I dont know how to email you 'off topic' as it were!! Its good to be in touch with other quilters as I live in a remote area and we are thin on the ground

SewCalGal said...

Way cool. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this book.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Maggey and Jim said...

OH, can't wait to her all about it.. I am trying to instill in my grand daughters the power of the needle..
Maggey

Busy Little Quilter said...

What an honor for you! Congratulations. I can't wait to read your review.