Sunday, October 17, 2010

Recap of our vacation week.....

Day # 1 saw us driving to Lexington, VA. We stayed there for 2 nights. This was the view from the balcony of our hotel.......very pretty and peaceful. The leaf color was only starting there, so we were wondering if our fall foliage trip would fall short of our expectations, but it didn't as the week went on...... (Photos can be seen in greater detail if you click on them)


While in Lexington, we rode around by VMI (Virginia Military Institute) and also toured Natural Bridge and the Natural Bridge Caverns. The next photos are of that area....me standing near the Natural Bridge. It is rather awesome when you see it in person.....you surely realize it is VERY large when you walk underneath it.
To walk the whole path and back is two miles and the scenery is breathtaking......crystal clear streams and all kinds of trees and wildflowers as well as terrific rock formations. There is also a re-created Monacan Indian village there. It is a living museum with people performing the various chores and activities typical of those people many years ago. We took many scenery shots that day..... but I will only post a few more that should let you feel the peace and simple beauty to be found at that place. We really enjoyed our time there (except for the nighttime light and music show.....which we felt wasn't done very effectively and wasn't worth going back to see).Tune in tomorrow for more adventures!

16 comments:

julieQ said...

How serenely beautiful! I love the contrast of such a blue sky with the green trees. The natural bridge is cool! Thank you, Pat!

andsewon said...

Been many years since we went to Nat Bridge. Frost will bring on a quick change in the colors. We have not taken our drive to the mts near Stuart, VA yet either.
We go to get apples and see grands over that way.
Happy you all had a nice trip.
Lola

Kathleen said...

That bench looks so inviting... just want to sit and enjoy the view.

I tried stirring up some trouble with your GO! fans while you were away but no one took the bait. ;)

quiltingnana said...

great pics

Crispy said...

I could spend the whole day just sitting on that bench with a little stitching or a good book in my hand :0)

Crispy

Gene Black said...

That is a lovely place. I would love to see the Natural Bridge in person. It looks huge with people in the picture.

Anonymous said...

Wow, beautiful scenery. Perfect for recharging the creative batteries. We are blessed with such a beautiful planet!

Anonymous said...

Great photos, Pat!

Jackie's Stitches said...

It looks beautiful Pat! Can't wait to hear more.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

What a beautiful and peaceful view from your hotel!! The natural bridge is really cool and the scenery along your walk makes me want to visit the area. :-)

The Other Barb said...

beautiful scenery. I like the bench photo especially. I could make it into a greeting card :)

Rachel said...

What a lovely vacation - and such beautiful scenery. I've always wanted to take a trip in the Fall... but you know how it is in this job. Can't complain about having the summers off, though.

Julia said...

That is a lovely place...my dream one day to come over and see all these places..
Julia ♥

Needled Mom said...

What a fabulous trip you had. The colors were wonderful.

hetty said...

Beautiful scenery! I want to sit on that bench.

Unknown said...

I read blogs, I don't know how I missed this. I'm such a bad follower. We're gonna have to make a trip up there to VA to see this.