Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A day in the "big city".....

A day in the "big city"...otherwise known as Dover, Delaware. I know...I know...it's not really a big city but in comparison to the pretty rural area in which I live, it IS the big city for me (and it is our state capital, too, so that automatically makes it a big city, in my head). Anyway......Monday was a pretty rainy day and chilly. I picked up Kathy early as I said I was going to do...and then we met up with Michelle by JoAnn Fabrics since Michelle lives not too distant from there. We did a little shopping in there (and I got a bit annoyed that they now have the GO cutter and dies in a rather out-of-the-way area of the store instead of prominently-displayed like they used to be) and then we went together in one car to Shady Lane...an Amish quilt shop a few miles outside of Dover. Now...you probably know the Amish don't use electricity, so with it being a dreary, rainy day, it was pretty hard to see the fabric colors very well with just a few gas lamps around but we had a good time anyway. It's a cute shop and the ladies who run it are so sweet. This photo shows the extent of my purchases.Are you impressed with how disciplined I was?? LOL I only got 3 fabrics and two quilting templates and that was between JoAnn's AND the Amish quilt shop. The reason for that is because I know I am going to several Amish quilt shopsin PA early in November and also, next week, I expect to be going to MaryJo's....a supposedly very super-duper fabric place in North Carolina...with a good blogging/quilting friend!!! (Can't wait for that!) After the Amish shop, we went to an Amish market nearby and I did get a few things there but didn't take any pictures...some bulk candy and snack items and some wonderful pumpkin scones...oh, wait...the scones are in a picture. First, though, look at this.....it is SO cute!
It is the cutest "mug-rug" (coaster) and it was made by Michelle and she gave it to me. She gave one to Kathy, too (slightly different fabric). I love it! And here is it in use...early last evening when I had one of the pumpkin scones and a nice cup of pumpkin spice tea......YUMMMMM
After the Amish market, we went for a nice lunch at a bagel/sandwich shop and we sat and chatted for a bit. Then it was time to drop Michelle back to her car by JoAnn's and Kathy and I headed home. I expect we will do this again soon, as it was a very nice day (but next time we will hope for a little nicer weather)! We also made plans to meet up the first Saturday in November at a large craft show outside of Dover, so that will be a fun time, too! Gotta love blogging/quilting friends....right???

33 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Sounds like y'all had a great time!!

quiltingnana said...

It was fun to meet Michelle and go to the Amish shop!

Gene Black said...

I am so jealous. Y'all always have such fun out gadding about to quilt stores.

Jackie's Stitches said...

You've been so restrained lately because of your November trip. I think you're going to let it loose then!!!

Unknown said...

i'm with Gene, i'm so jealous over your trips....i like how you captured the stem from your tea in the picture

Crispy said...

What a wonderful (and restrained) day you had!! You tea mat is wonderful :0)

Crispy

luv2quilt2 said...

Sounds like you had a really wonderful day, and you really did use your self-control! But I know you'll have your 'bottomless bag' when you shop in PA, so we'll see how your self-control is then,

Jocelyn said...

What a fun day!

Judy D in WA said...

What a fun day you gals had! I wish we had Amish stores around here..but we don't. Our JoAnn's did the same thing with the GO! I had to search for it.
The pumpkin mug is super cute and the scones and tea look delicious! I think I'll search for a recipe. :)

Anonymous said...

The lighting was good enough to see that I love those Amish store fabrics. Sounds like a fun time!

hetty said...

Sounds like a fun day!

Stephanie Hughes said...

You had fun and I am so jealous. You are having fun without me. Have lots of fun with Tonya. It sounds like a vacation to me. Steph

The Other Barb said...

love the pumpkin coaster. So cute. enjoyed learhing abt your day with the girls. Sounds like a great day in spite of the weather.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

You were very restrained! Only three pieces of fabric!! Cute little mug rug from Michelle! The scone and tea look yummy. I need to make something with pumpkin in it. I think it will be pumpkin bars with cream cheese icing. :-)

an encourager said...

Darling coaster! I like the snappy title of your blog!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Sounds like you had a good time, and the coaster IS adorable! ;)

Beth said...

Sounds like a great time despite the dreary weather. Love your new fabrics and your pumpkin mat.

Lee D said...

sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day. I have been to Dover once, for Thanksgiving with a college friend in 1983.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, you were disciplined! Go you! And that pumpkin scone looks yummy!

sewfunquilts said...

Sounds like you had a great time, and you restrained yourself so much. Hard to do it, huh?

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

You have been behaving very well waiting for November's shopping spree.

The little pumpkin cup mat is adorable.

Gari in AL said...

Oh, you will love Mary Jo's. The first time I went there I hyperventilated: was overwhelmed with the volume and quality of the fabrics. I spent 3 hours there and all the money I had on me. Wonderful place!!!!!!!

limpingalong said...

Sounds like a good day -- our JoAnn's is closing but we hope it will reopen in a better place. They are having a great sale but I haven't made it over there. I have more fabric than I know what to do with! What a wonderful problem to have.

Rhonda said...

You were a very good girl. Sorry I haven't been around...mom and church stuff....I'll come up for air in a week or so!!!!

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Pat...that sounds so fun quilt shopping with friends AND then another time SOON to look forward to MORE shopping!!! Gotta see what you get then?? That pumpkin coaster is really cute...what a fun gift to get!!

Jacque said...

Love your mug rug! I made some too, but yours are so cute!

Kathleen said...

Mmmm I can see the steam from your tea... your snack looks so inviting, I want to scoop in and sneak a tast.

Unknown said...

I'll be right back, your tea & treat has enticed me!

OK I'm set now ... love the tea cup mat ... So glad you had a lovely time.
Have a beautiful weekend, my friend.
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Linda K said...

Have fun at Maryjo's! It's an overwhelming place. Have a list before you walk in there, but most of all save some money for the Amish fabric shops in PA. The deals are amazing. Hope you'll be going to Sauders. My sister and I spent over 3 hours in there. It was soooo much fun!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love that coaster - what a great idea! I can see pumpkins, leaves, acorns... :) blessings, marlene

Millie said...

Love your pumpkin mug coaster, Pat.

Roslyn said...

Sonds like more fun than I had last time in DDover Delaware, I never saw that side of it just the AFB!

Unknown said...

I love that coaster...what a cute little pumpkin!