Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Gee....how interesting.....maybe I'm RICH

I'm thinking many of you have this same situation. I guess I could call this one of my pet peeves....something that really "bugs" me. I have my emails sorted into separate folders.... ones from folks I know and another folder called "Junk" email. I do check my junk folder each day because sometimes there are new people who visit my blog and their emails land there....until I get to know them and approve them for my regular email folder. I also find in that junk mail folder many MANY emails that say things like this: Dear Email owner, Your email has won a total Cash Prize Of Six Hundred Thousand pounds sterling and a consolation prize of Dell pentium M laptop, T-shirt and face cap. Contact our claims office on;
Email: richardmatlock6@hotmail.co.uk
Claims officer: Richard Matlock
with your winning numbers above to process your winnings. Regards, Mrs Kate Gerard
Guess this means I might be rich (but since I never claim these prizes and have no intention of doing it and I quickly assign these emails to the "delete" folder, I am not seeing any upward swing in my bank account.)
THEN........I also have many MANY emails asking me for kind assistance as the writer claims to be in a desperate situation and in need of my oodles of money (that I guess the previous email writer told them I have from my big prize winnings)!!!
Geesh....I love the internet and it has been a wonderful resource, but I get so tired of these types of emails and I truly hope there is nobody who falls for this type of nonsense. How about you?

18 comments:

Betsy said...

I agree with you 100%

Gene Black said...

me too. Here we are experiencing a lot of phone calls supposed to be from a local credit union. They aren't - but they try to get account info. It is totally automated. I have gotten 3 calls on my personal phone and I don't have an account there. I hope no one is falling for it.

Nancy said...

I think those emails are so funny... I personally LOVE telling my DH that we need to go to deepest Africa to get my million dollar prize!! I figure I will at least get a trip out of it..LOL
I have been getting an email from spoof PAYPAL lately that says my "account is frozen" until I click on the link and "sign in". THese are dangerous...NEVER click on a link in an email. Always open a new web browser and log into your accounts.

LINDA BYLSMA said...

All the above are familiar to me. I have a friend who got hacked and her total e-mail account frozen. I got an e-mail, supposedly from her asking for money because she was being held against her will in Nigeria.

The Calico Cat said...

Unfortunately some poeple do fall for those schemes... & then there are the really clever schemes like real estate & the stock market...

BTW mail does not even stay in my junk box... (I'm not sure how I figured that one out...)

You e-mailed me first, so I better not be junk!

Needled Mom said...

It's a common problem. I just have a very worn "delete" button. I can't imagine who responds to them.

71square said...

Well Pat, I get lots of emails from millionaires in Nigeria who desperately need my help in accessing their own money for some strange reason. It's insanity, isn't it?

Kim

Tonje said...

I know what you mean... it's sooo irritating when things like that fill up your mailbox.

Myra said...

Yup! One of my peeves too, just like phone soliciting. Thank goodness for the delete button, and call display!!!

Terri said...

I am so with you. Those emails drive me crazy to.

House of Mouse said...

I get tons of stuff also but don't you also get tired of deleting it. If you didn't ask for it in the first place and the internet server already knows it's spam...why don't they delete it! Can you tell wasting my time deleting stuff I didn't ask for in the first place is one of my greatest PET PEEVES! LOL
Anett

Barb said...

I am on your side on this one....too many of those. I even got a call the other day telling me that I won this amazing shopping spree just becuase I used my credit card at a sister site (WHAT?)....I told the guy no but he would not shut up. I told him ususally I end up spending more money...he said only two dollars...you know what that means??? Once he gets the rest of my info because he already had alot of it he was going to scam me....I just hung up....can't believe it. Love your mad face.

Betsy said...

Pat have fun at the quilt show.
wish I were meeting Bonnie too.
Here is the link to her system.
http://www.quiltville.com/leadersenders.shtml plus you can ask her about it.

Sara said...

I have a policy not to answer any e-mail that I don't recognize ... or a phone call that I don't recognize - especially if it is an 800 number.

And, if Mrs. Naomi Solomon doesn't quit sending me an e-mail everyday about how she needs me to help her - I might have to send her an FO e-mail.

Rhonda said...

I am so afraid of the "unknowns" that I delete immediately.

Qubie said...

Junk E-mail is why I have more more than one E-mail. I only give the "good one" to people I know and trust. Lest I hope I trust them. If not, I might have to string them up by there you know what.

Linda said...

Gotta love it! NOT! LOL

Jossie said...

Some years ago when I had over 40 such spam mails in 1 day I changed my emailadress and took a hotmail- and a gmail adress. My first adress is only for family and friends, the gmail I use for blogging and everything quilty and the hotmail is for embroidery and people or sites I don't know. It works fantastic. My mailboxes are 99% spam free ever since.