Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Batiks........

Just below, you see the batiks I have collected so far (about 50 different ones)....some were bought by me...others were kind gifts by fellow quilters who know I love batiks. So far, I've not made anything with them, but I am ready to start soon. I have found a pattern I really like that (thanks to Nancy at Patchwork Penguin blog) and I think it will nicely showcase such a wide variety of my batiks. It's called "Wickedly Easy"and HERE is the link for it. (I think it's the 3rd pattern down on the page.) The nice thing about this pattern is that it only calls for one fat quarter of each print/color....and many of my batiks are just fat quarters and not bigger yardages. If possible, I'd like to get a rainbow effect in each of the 16-inch blocks in the pattern. (Wish me luck!)When I pulled out the batiks and sorted them into color groupings (sort of...some were hard to decide which group), I saw quite quickly that I need to go buy more purples and reds and I think a few yellowy-golds. Also, I see that some of the batiks I have might stick out like a sore thumb in this particular quilt and do not belong here at all, so some will be set aside for other (yet to be decided) projects. I feel good, though, that I am getting some sense of purpose for most of the batiks I have so far. It is obvious that a lot of this quilt will be greens and blues, but that's okay as those are my two favorite colors!

19 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

Sounds like you're almost ready to get started! I find fabric selection one of the most difficult parts of quilting. I know that it will get easier as I do it more and I'm anxious for that day to come!

Gene Black said...

I love that pattern. It really is easy - I just looked at it and saw "how to" but my mind works like that. That will look lovely with a batik group. Go get 'em!

Crispy said...

Oooo lovely fabrics Pat. It's really a shame that you will have to go purchase some more...I feel bad for you LOL.

Crispy

quiltingnana said...

so glad you had such a good time with Jessie....and your selection of batiks is lovely...need to go buy some for a project I am doing...any good shop suggestions?

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

I expect you will have that quilt finished by the time I get back from Knoxville...you really knock out the projects girlfriend.

Pat

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I'd use them all, Pat. I bet when you cut them all out, including more purples and reds, you'll find that the ones you thing will stick out like a sore thumb, are the ones that will make the quilt "pop"! Pat at Silver Thimble is right.....you really knock out the projects!

Unknown said...

what a pretty collection, I don't think I have any batiks....ok I admit, I have no clue what batiks are. can you enlighten me? gosh, how can I not know all this quilting stuff?

Betsy said...

Pat I too love Batiks. Your project is going to be lovely with these yummy colors.

Nancy said...

Can't wait to see it....... this gives me a reason to perhaps purchase some batiks LOL

Danielle said...

I love your batiks...I have a big pile of fat quarters that I am saving for a special project....someday!

Rachel said...

Oh I like that Wickedly Easy pattern. With your stash of batiks, the quilt will be very nice!

Barb said...

I love your Batiks...

Sara said...

That will be really pretty - especially in batiks... how big are you making the quilt?

julieQ said...

I love batics, all together like that it is a rainbow of pretty. Thank you for the link, by the way!

Bunny said...

Love all those fabrics can't wait to see the finished quilt. Batiks are so yummy aren't they.

Gari in AL said...

Isn't that funny? When I decided to start my first batik project (top finished yesterday) purple and red were the colors I had the most of. what I am stuck on now is what to do for the backing.

hetty said...

Sorry Pat, but I am drooling all over your gorgeous fabrics! Simply fantastic! Whatever you make with them will undoubtedly be beautiful. With those fabrics you can't go wrong!

Quilt Rat said...

Batiks are absolutely the BEST!!!! I hope you will show the progress so we can all follow along. It is sure to be a beauty.

ooglebloops said...

I love batik also - your project(s) will be beautiful!!!