Monday, July 13, 2009

My first and last quilts.....

Okay.....there is a "trend" right now for us to post on our blogs our FIRST quilt and our LAST (as in most recent) quilt. I think it started with Carrie Nelson of Miss Rosie's Quilt Company and Camille Roskelley of Thimbleblossoms....with their Parade of Quilts and now it is spreading across Blogland. Pat Sloan on her blog yesterday was asking if her readers want HER to do it (they do!!!)....and so now it has sort of become a challenge. Suppposedly Pat Sloan will show her REAL first quilt on her blog this morning. (She shows one in her lectures that she says is her first quilt, but the secret has come out...that one in her lectures is NOT her real first quilt.) I decided I'd take the challenge. Will you be next????

Here is my first quilt......an Easter wallhanging. I made it with NO pattern......too dumb to know about using quilt patterns or to know about using a rotary cutter and basic tools like that! I did some small amount of hand-quilting (tulips in some of the blocks). It was done using Easter / spring fabrics. Actually, it turned out surprisngly well for making it up as I went along......had NO idea how to make half-square triangles the "correct way", etc. I know it's not terrific by any means, but it is passable, I'd say! I did this about 4 years ago.This next photo shows my most recent completed quilt. (I have done a few things since then but nothing as large as this or as intricate....well, it is intricate to ME compared to other things I've done.) This is a throw-sized quilt. It was done as a strange kind of mystery quilt......we were given directions to cut all the fabrics a certain way and then sew them into various types of blocks. BUT....then we were directed to take all our completed blocks and make up our OWN layout. I came up with this and am pleased with the result. I had a local longarmer (Sharon from our guild) quilt it for me and she did a wonderful job (which, unfortunately, doesn't show up in the photo). So....you are next. Will you show photos of your first AND your most recent quilts on YOUR blog? Come on...it's fun....because you can think back to the first one and realize how much you have learned since that time!

18 comments:

Margi said...

Totally fun Pat! Isn't it amazing how many of us are self taught in the fashion of "mmmm, I'm just going to do it and see what happens". Too fun!

Kaye said...

How well I remember that mystery quilt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Some of us didn't have one as nice. Don't have time now but later today or tomorrow I will show my first and most recent (I completed it yesterday) Gotta get ready to go to Quilt Guild

Gene Black said...

I just saw Pat Sloan's first. All I can say is "I am much happier with my first one now."
Although I confess that I did have three lessons first.

Anonymous said...

Pat, While your last quilt shows you have learned many techniques and it's beautiful; I love your first quilt which is w-a-y better than passable. Making it up as you went doesn't mean you didn't know what you were doing. You were doing something very special -- improvising while being creative, original and artistic. Right, Gene? ;)

Betsy said...

Pat Wow is all I can say.

Kathy said...

I like both your first and you latest quilts. You have certainly progressed in your only 4 years of quilting. I don't mean that the first quilt isn't very well done for a beginner, but rather that you do much more challenging things now. I hope that I will show that kind of progress four years from now.

Crispy said...

Both quilts are wonderful Pat. I don't have my first or my last quilts, not even a picture of the first several quilts, so no show on my blog :0(

Crispy

andsewon said...

Beautiful Pat!! Both of them!!!
A lot of awesome work was done way before what we now know as patterns and all the grand new tools we use came to be. Let your creative spirit soar!!!
Hugs!

rachel griffith said...

both quilts are cute, cute, cute.
{but i especially love that green!!!}

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

Both guilts are great...each quilt we make is unique...I learn from each and they are mine....good or not so...

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Pat,
I have enjoyed seeing all the first and last quilts that are being shown in blog land. I am having some computer problems these days so can't access my photos just now. Perhaps I will be able to post them yet.
Your new one is lovely - quilting is such an amazing journey- we learn so much from each one of our quilting experiences.
My first one was a queen sized log cabin quilt that we still have although it is in pretty sorry condition( the victim of a dog we had previously. I used a double layer of polyester batting and quilted it on my little domestic Kenmore. I did stitch in the ditch- sometimes it was like wrestling with a bear! I made that quilt in 1987 and then didn't quilt again for another 10 years( life got in the way)
The thing I learned the most from quilting is that your tastes change, your skills develop with practise and there are lots of tools to help make the process easier. Most of all, it is lots of fun and you get to meet terrific people along the way.
Thanks for sharing both your lovely pieces.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Barb said...

Love them both. Can you see a big difference in the way you do things now?

Sara said...

I don't think I have my first quilt anymore...I think it went by the wayside...

Unknown said...

love your latest quilt and it's GREEN yum.......

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Such a cute Easter wall hanging that was entirely your creation! I like it a lot! And you were very creative on your most recent quilt too - great work!

Roslyn said...

Not sure where my first quilt is or if it still exists-it was a baby gift for a niece now 36! Second was for youngest DS[now 35] he might still have it somewhere but I suspect it got lost over the years.

Busy Little Quilter said...

I think both quilts are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.