Friday, July 10, 2009

Pillow talk......and beachy divas giveaway winner!

A good blogging friend, Gene Black, was kind enough to send me the link to a very good pillowcase tutorial. Click HERE to see it. It runs a bit long but it is very detailed and the technique is very good...it's called a "sausage" method. Yesterday I tried it out. I practiced by using penguin fabric given to me in a swap by Sabrina (a gal I know from a Yahoo wool group I'm on). It would have been better if I'd had more yardage and could have made the penguins going across the pillow differently, but I love it this way, too...ANYTHING penguin is good for me!!! This will be MY pillowcase and I am very happy with it. (Thanks, Sabrina, for the fabric!!!) All the seams are finished and I'd say it took me less than an hour from start to finish. (The photos should enlarge if you click on them.) Now that I know I have mastered the technique, I see many more pillowcases being made in the "sausage" method!This shows the way it might have been better to have the penguins "walking" but I'd have needed about 1 1/3 yards for that....and I had a yard. This next BLURRY photo (YIKES.....not sure how I managed that) shows the completed throw pillow cover I'd started awhile back. Believe me, it looks a LOT better than it shows up in this blurry photo!!! Do NOT click on this one to enlarge it or you might get dizzy...whew...and I am NOT kidding!!! I figured since I was on the subject of pillows here, I'd show this one completed....and didn't realize the photo was blurry until I put it here.....UGH.....so sorry about that! This is probably the worst photo I've ever taken....and I don't have time to redo it now. And...below the blurry photo, the name of the winner of the Beachy Divas fabric panel.By dawn's early light, the random number generator picked (as the winner of the Beachy Divas fabric shown here a few days back).........Happy Cottage Quilter. I hope she enjoys her win and will send me a photo of what she makes with it!

22 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Nice pillow case & Love that heart pillow!
Congratulations Happy Cottage Quilter!!

Crispy said...

Well, the penguins will be walking across your head while you are sleeping LOL.

Congrats Jocelyn!!

Crispy

Gene Black said...

Yaay! The pillow tutorial really did help! They look awesome!

Congrats to Happy Cottage Quilter.

Kaye said...

Good Job Pat, pillows look great. I have a pattern from Connecting Threads and I made pillows for all the gk's from it. Sounds like the "sausage" pillow

Betsy said...

Love the pillowcase Pa though I hate to make them.
cute pillow too.

Della said...

This is so cool. Made lots of pillowcases but never like this. Thanks Pat.

Unknown said...

E loves the penguin pillow. Congrats to the DIVA winner.

LINDA BYLSMA said...

I recognized the penquin fabric right away. What a perfect use for that! I need to watch the tutorial and get to work on some.

Anonymous said...

Love the pillow and pillow cases, Pat! Our guild has been making pillow cases for children's hospitals. They are in great demand.

Jocelyn said...

woo-hooo! Thanks Pat! I loved the bag you made with the panel. And your pillowcase looks great! They look like they would be fun to make for gifts :-)

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Can I just say I'm addicted to those little pillow cases! I made tons of them for Christmas presents last year. There are so many cute fabrics out there! Plus I have tons of other fabrics in the project pile to make more. I am on the mission to make one for every holiday for my daughter too. First off is a birthday one. How fun is that? Even made some for my 83 year old grandmother. She loves them. Yours turned out cute! Jenn

Yvette said...

I have seen those pillow cases made but when I get home I have forgotten. Thank you for posting the video, that should help! I hope I have time this weekend to try it. ;)

Needled Mom said...

Cute pillowcase. The tutorial looks pretty simple too.

Love the watercolor pillow too.

Danielle said...

Congrats to Happy Cottage Quilter! The penguin pillowcase is very sweet, that's one thing I've yet to try.

Unknown said...

Ok Pat, think positively! If you are laying down with your head on the pillow and glance at the penquins, you now see them walking, grin.

sewfunquilts said...

Look out! Making those pillow cases is like eating potato chips...can't help making dozens!
Thanks for entering my giveaway on my blog...8 days to go!

http://sewfunquilts-sewmeow.blogspot.com/

Michelle said...

I love that pillowcase technique, I've made many for gifts. I'm soooo behind on my blog reading...I feel very out of the loop! :)

Sara said...

Oh, I love the pillowcase! It turned out so cute. I have a bunch of fabric that i bought just for pillowcases and I haven't done them yet...you just inspired me!

Congrats to the winner!!!

Jean said...

Great tutorial and pillowcase, will have to remember this way of doing it so that there are no seams to finish...love that!

Barb said...

I will have to check out that, I remember on his blog saying something about the sausage pillow case.....

Wendy said...

Very cute....I will be checking out the tutorial...Thanks for sharing...

quiltmom anna said...

Pat,
Your pillowcase is very cute- love the fun penguins.
Congratulations to your winner- she will have fun with your panels.
Regards,
Anna