Monday, July 27, 2009

A block and some strips.....

Between storms and some unexpected occurrences this weekend (nothing bad), I didn't get to sew as much as I'd hoped. I have started putting together the 12 blocks for the birthday signature block exchange for Linda B. Here is a photo of one of them....simple but I'm sure they will look sweet once they are all assembled. (This is not the block for the birthday gal....won't show that on here as I'll want her to be surprised.) Each of the 12 blocks I'm making is in a different color combination.
Below, is a photo of the color strips in progress for my batik quilt. (This was the first set of them....have done more since I took the photo). I have decided to alter the pattern as I didn't like the way the rotating blocks looked with the way I'm doing my color strips. I have also gone away from my original concept of "rainbow" strips. My altered version will be more similar to a Chinese coin quilt pattern than what I initially envisioned...but it is a pattern that will really display all the batiks nicely...and that is what I wanted. I have 10 strip sections made now (all different) and they will be combined with thin strips of black fabric sashing to form 5 blocks (each 16 inches in size when sewn together). The entire quilt will require 30 blocks, so you can see I am only just started on this and have a long way to go yet. A little birdie told me to watch for a package that may contain something useful for this quilt....so I'm anxiously awaiting that, too (and will report on it when it arrives)!!! Today we hope to visit the State Fair.....love to see the quilts on display there and some year will enter one myself...I promise. LOL

18 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Yumm what fabulous color's!

Gene Black said...

I love your batik strips! I just know that quilt will be lovely.

ooglebloops said...

So ambitious!!The signature block is beautiful - and your batiks are also!!! Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Betsy said...

Pat , I am loving those batiks.

Unknown said...

love the blocks and the batiks. hope everything was fine this weekend. hugs

Anonymous said...

Very pretty colors no matter how you piece them. You can't go wrong!

Crispy said...

Oh Pat those strips are so bright and cheerful and the black sashing will frame them so nicely, this is going to be a stunning quilt!!

Crispy

Crispy said...

Oh Pat those strips are so bright and cheerful and the black sashing will frame them so nicely, this is going to be a stunning quilt!!

Crispy

LINDA BYLSMA said...

I like how you are doing your blocks. Very nice, with the darker colors in the middle. You don't waste any time, do you?

Needled Mom said...

Nice work on both projects. I love all the batiks.

Danielle said...

Very nice bday sig block! I love the batiks, and with black, oh for sure going to be awesome and really make the brights een brighter ;-)

Anonymous said...

beautiful, beautiful! love the colors!
http://randommusingsfrommypov.com

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

It's going to be beautiful Pat; I can tell!

andsewon said...

Such a pretty siggie block!!You go gal!!
Oh my Pat that beautiful batiks quilt will be like a stained glass window with the black sashing!!
Hope you have fun at the fair!!!
We have our county one coming later in the Fall.
Storms went around us here but NN got some bangs.

Barb said...

I have not even started getting my block ready...what is wrong with me. I am a little afraid that my colors my be too bright and so....I am just in the thinking process right now.

Love your block....thanks for the sample.

Sara said...

I'm cutting out my blocks for Linda's - need to wash my muslin...

Love what is happening with your batiks. I think I like this a lot better...

Wendy said...

Love them as alway....bright beautiful colors....isn't this why fabric and quilting make us happy?

The Other Barb said...

I really like the signature block!