Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Basket Weaving 101 ........

Hmmmmm.......I seem to recall a lot of jokes about basket-weaving somewhere along the line....implying it was for "simple" people. Well...I didn't find it simple. Class was set from 10 a.m. until 3, but we didn't finish until 5.....were told they NEVER get out on time!!! It was fun (after awhile) and I love how mine turned out, but I'd not call it simple! Sherry, whose idea it was to take the class, is more inclined to go back than I am. I'd go again, but not anytime soon....didn't thrill me THAT much. LOL Here are a few photos from our day.

First, the basket Sherry and I were making. It's called the Quilter's Companion as it can hold a spool or two of thread as shown on the little dowel and has 6 sections to hold essential tools. (Patterns are in the pockets of this basket as the LQS is using it as a holder for tiny, laminated pattern cards.)
Here we have Sherry in the early stages of working on the basket in the upstairs classroom of our LQS. Look at how hard she is concentrating!
This is the instructor, Gail, ( on the right) showing another gal, Lynn, how to proceed on her basket. She was making a chairside basket and did a very nice job with it.This is another photo in which you can see Sherry working very hard in the background and also Mary working on her basket.....called something like the Everyday Basket (can't recall the exact name). She also did a very nice job. (Except for Sherry and me, the other 4 gals there had experience in making baskets and have all made several others already.)This is how my basket turned out......I really like it. (You should be able to click on the photos to enlarge them.) And below this photo, is one of the inside so you can see the 6 sections.....very nice construction with a solid wood bottom. I intend to use it to keep (and tote) things like my rotary cutter, scissors, spools of thread, seam ripper, fabric markers, etc. I have a small pretty "ornament" from the class to attach to the outside but will wait until the spray stain (that the teacher puts on all the baskets) has thoroughly dried. Will wait until then to attach a spool or two of thread to the dowel in the heart-handle, too. Hope you enjoy seeing my attempt at basket-weaving!

34 comments:

Kaye said...

Good job Pat. A day of hard work but the results are awesome. Aren't you glad that you didn't pick out a larger basket, you might have had to sleep there. LOL

Diane said...

What a great basket you made! I love the way spools fit into the handle. It may have felt awkward working with wood and reed but I bet quilting felt awkward at first too.

Gene Black said...

Wow. I want to try basket making now. Gee thanks Pat, Like I didn't have enough to keep me busy. Ha ha.

It looks great!!! you are making one for everyone in Linda's Birthday block swap, aren't you?

(he grins and ducks!)

ooglebloops said...

I agree with Gene - we would all take a basket like that from you!!! What a beautiful job you did!!!! I have always wanted to try basket weaving- you made the perfect basket for yourself!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'll take it! Oh....not a giveaway?! Darn it!! The basket is just adorable. It would be so cute near my chair in the living room...bet yours too right? LOL

Anonymous said...

This is much more involved than the basket-making class I took some years ago, and you made such a useful basket! It looks well worth your time and effort, plus you probably had fun. I hope your hands aren't sore today. ;)

Betsy said...

Pat as hard as it was, you did an awesome job. I would love to take a class to make one.

Judy Alexander said...

Great basket! Thanks for signing up as a follower of my blog and signing up for my blogiverary give away.

Crispy said...

Your basket is lovely Pat, you did a great job. Wanna make me one for my quilty stuff by my chair?

Crispy

Nancy said...

um...is this where I order my basket? I really like that... I might look around here and see if there is a class...

Unknown said...

by the looks of your basket, we would never know it was that hard, you make it look easy. great job as usual Pat.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

The basket is beautiful! When I read yesterday's post, though, and saw you were taking a basket class.....I thought you were taking a basket quilt class! LOL! I've never seen such a lovely, and well-designed basket! I'm like Nancy above.....is this where I order my basket? :-)

Nancy said...

You did a great job!!! It turned out lovely. Can we order??? in your spare time??? between 2 and 4 in the morning?????

Hugs!

Jocelyn said...

WoW! What a great basket. Great job!

Rachel said...

Wow - that turned out really nice. I have no doubt that making a basket is difficult. It doesn't look easy!

andsewon said...

Oh my!!! LOVE IT Pat!!Now is this coming to Virginia???? Ha!!
I have never seen one like this. You did awesome!!!Hope no stiff hands today!!!

Barb said...

I love your basket....you did an awesome job. I made a basket once, my mother has it....from a long long time ago.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love your results, but I already know it is not easy to make baskets.

Danielle said...

Love how it turned out- well done! I have never tried basket weaving, maybe someday?

Angela said...

Oh I love it! And you will love it more as the memory of making it fades! hahaha Just like childbirth.

quiltmom anna said...

It is a gorgeous basket Pat- You must feel very proud of it- I love the wooden insert in it too.
I have never tried basket weaving- I made corn husk dolls and wreaths once- they were one of my less successful projects.
There are so many interesting things to make things with. I have a dear friend who made a sled centerpiece for Christmas out of turkey bones (the wish bone primarly) She spray painted it gold. What a hoot! It makes me laugh just thinking of that project.
Your friend's baskets are really lovely too.
Thanks for sharing your basket making experience.
Warmest regards,
Anna

paront1222@comcast.net said...

Basketweaving is NOT a "simple person's" activity. Don't know where people get that idea from...
I took many a basketweaving class and came away with gorgeous baskets...sure wish I had one like yours though!!!
Congratulations on a great job!!!
Peggy

Amy R said...

Oh Pat! It is beautiful! Certainly not basket making 101, that's for sure! I made baskets 15 or so years ago and you did a wonderful job! Your basket may very well outlast your quilts!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Oh wow your basket turned out awesome!!! That's something I would love to try one day. So pretty. :)

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow you did a great job!! Looks like it was a fun day!
LOL don't think I could sit still long enough to make one!

Unknown said...

That is a lovely basket. I can remember as a kid (about62 years ago, grin) making a basket at a school summer program, I was about 9 or 10 and enjoyed it.

Sara said...

I love your basket - I have made 2 baskets - guess one day I'll post photos of them on line...

Youi did really well.

Gari in AL said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Sandy said...

Attempt?? I think that basket is wonderful, I would love to have one like that.
I did basket making for several years in the late 80's, early 90's. I really enjoyed it. Haven't done any since.

Tudy said...

Sandy from Sandy in Stitches sent me your blog. I have made hundreds of baskets and taught for years in the past. You did a very good job. It almost makes me want to drag out my supplies and start again.

Needled Mom said...

I love the basket. I especially like the thread roller. I can't imagine that it would be for "simple" people as it looks quite difficult.

Jean said...

Wonderful basket, I think it looks very painstaking, or maybe I mean just a real pain...lol...you did a very nice job and it will be nice to have it to hold your goodies.

Quilter Going Bananas said...

I am totally ignorant when it comes to basket weaving but I'm really impressed that you got that done in one day Pat! It looks real hard!!!
Good job Pat and enjoy your new basket!

Molly Mandeville Fryer said...

OOHHH! I wish I lived in Delaware! I want to go with you! This looks like so much fun. Great basket, Pat--you did a great job.