Monday, May 4, 2009

This one's "for the birds"...........


Wednesday I will host the little neighborhood quilt group and work with them on paper piecing. I have done paper piecing with them one other time but they want to make paper-pieced birds from a book I have. There were to be 4 gals here (but one can't make it now). Two of them chose the goldfinch and the other two chose the hummingbird. I have the goldfinch sample completed (see photo...and please excuse the fact that Mr. Goldfinch has no eye yet). I am still working on the hummingbird. The hummer is a bit more difficult as it has some curved pieces. I goofed at the bottom of my goldfinch and accidentally took off the quarter-inch seam, but since it's only a sample that will be used by me at some point for a small wall-hanging, it's not too bothersome if his tail is a bit squared off instead of pointed. It should be a fun day and I hope the ladies end up happy with their paper-pieced birds.

15 comments:

ooglebloops said...

I love this!! Please show the hummingbird when it's done!!!

Crispy said...

Ooo love the goldfinch...it's my favorite bird. The hummingbird is a close second. I look forward to seeing that one too.

Crispy

Unknown said...

How cute.........that would be cool to make one in the colors of my bud the bird.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

So beautiful. I love the Goldfinch. Get busy so we can see that hummingbird.

Pat

Anonymous said...

For a born and bred NJ gal, how perfect that you chose the goldfinch, NJ's state bird! We see them on our south Jersey bird feeders a lot. Is your book "Backyard Bird Quilts"? One of the contributors is a NJ friend, Kim Calhoun.

Debi said...

What an adorable little bird, great job Pat. I have done paper piecing and not a fan, except that they coume out so beautiful.

Sherry said...

Great job can't wait to see your hummingbird. I like the look of paper piecing but I going to have to enjoy seeing it from other quilters. I will have to learn the basic to middle level of quilting before I can think about learning paper piecing. As my sister told me I hope you finish a projuct before you start another one. Little does she know I have 4 or 5 tops waiting to get finished. Shhh don't tell her.

Kathy said...

Your goldfinch is lovely! One can get such interesting results with paper piecing. Maybe someday (like several years from now) I will be ready to try that. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to seeing the hummingbird.

Nanette Merrill said...

The bird is lovely. Even if I don't like to paper piece myself I certainly appreciate that skill.

The Other Barb said...

this is a neat goldfinch. Can't wait to see the hummingbird. makes me want to do some paper piecing :)

Barb said...

I am sure the ladies will be extremely happy...love the bird.

quiltingnana said...

sounds like a fun day

Quilter Going Bananas said...

What a blast you'll have on Wed with your friends! Love love love the goldfinch, and it's okay he doesn't have eyes yet, LOL. Looking forward to seeing the hummingbird too!

Betsy said...

he is charming.

Julia said...

The bird is lovely..have fun!
Julia ♥