Saturday, May 9, 2009

Once upon a time.......


I like to look back at photos of quilting projects I've done in the past. (I try to remember to take a picture of everything once it's completed.) This is a photo of a small wall-hanging I made for a friend who loves pelicans. (You should be able to click on it to see the detail a little better.) The pattern was from something shown in Quilt Maker magazine. I didn't do it exactly as shown in the magazine, but I was happy with the end result. I hand quilted all of it. This was done when I'd only been quilting a short time, so I didn't yet know all the "rules" but my friend really loved it and that counts for something, right?

18 comments:

Gene Black said...

From the movie "Grease"

"The rules are, there ain't no rules!"

The quilt police are like the bogeyman. Not worth worrrying about.

It looks great

LINDA BYLSMA said...

I agree with Gene. I'd be laughed out of a quilt class!!!
How cute is that pelican quilt. Your friend must love it.

Anonymous said...

It's lovely, and all that hand-quilting is very impressive! My hands don't want to do that anymore, so I also treasure some of my older projects. Thanks for showing it, Pat.

Barb said...

That is really good, especially since it was your first. Are there rules? I must not know them?

Betsy said...

It is beautiful Pat.
Your workmanship as always is stunning.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Very nice, Pat.

Kathy said...

What a great piece! Can't believe that it was your first. And all that hand quilting - wow! I'm glad to hear that one can break 'the rules of quilting', as I'm just beginning and am not a big rule follower!

Unknown said...

oh la la....i like that...so pretty

Kaye said...

Great job Pat, and all that hand quilting! Wow I am really impressed. I will be in Herndon today, probably right close to Pat Sloan. Wouldn't it be funny if I ran into her at one of the stores?

Millie said...

Pat, great wallhanging and hand quilting!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I can smell the beach that pelican looks so real! I've been quilting a long time but I don't follow rules and so that has gotten me in trouble with some quilters who do follow rules. I quilt for the joy of stitching and the connection to my friends and rules don't apply to either!!

Judy Laquidara said...

I agree with Gene! I think it looks lovely and I know your friend cherishes it. Hand quilting makes it really special!

Sara said...

That is a gorgeous little quilt! What rules - no rules - that's how we express our creativity...

The Other Barb said...

I'm impressed with the hand quilting. You don't see that as much. At first glance, I thought it was long-arm quilted. Then I clicked on it and saw the details~
wow!

Val said...

I love the pelican! And your quilting is terrific. I wish I was better at hand quilting but my stitch is awful. One of these days I'll have to do a whole lot of practice, ha. Only hand quilted a few areas on a wall hanging once and that was enough to convince me my skill needed a lot of improvement, LOL.

Gari in AL said...

I don't know what rules you broke but that is a really cute quilt. I have a sea gull wall quilt that would have looked great with it.

limpingalong said...

Love the pelican!!

Crispy said...

Oh Pat I just love the Pelican!! I was so surprised when I saw a flock of Pelican in a local lake, I always associate them with the ocean. Maybe they were just passing through ND on the way to the coast.

Crispy