Yesterday the weather wasn't rainy.....so we went to Assateague Island National Seashore Park. This is part of the National Park System. It was chilly, though, so we didn't stay as long as we'd have liked, but we had a nice time. The park is beautiful with many trails and areas for fishing, crabbing, clamming AND camping (either on the bay side of the island or right on the oceanfront). The park rangers told us the horses would probably be on the bay side today (guess they are smart and avoid the wind and chillier temps by the ocean) AND....we found them on the bay side. Here are some pictures from our day that I thought you might enjoy seeing. Notice in this first photo there is a picnic table in the background. That is because there was a tent right behind the table....these horses were very near to several campsites. The one young horse was obviously very tired! Jessi was appalled at the amount of horse poop all over the place, but....with wild horses in the hundreds roaming the area, that can't be helped!!! (You will be happy to know we took NO poop photos!) You should be able to click on any of these to enlarge them, if you'd like.

You will have to click on this next one, I think, to see the wild pony in the middle of the photo who just waded in the water to go stand by himself on a tiny little island in the bay. It is amazing to see them roaming so freely!

For any of you who have ever experienced the joys of camping, you will appreciate the fact that at this park you can camp right on the oceanfront.....just leave your tent and walk a few steps over the dune and the ocean is right there. I can imagine in nice weather, this is heavenly. (There is an area for trailers and RV's, too......very nice place for camping!)

Jessi looking out her side of the car at some more horses.

Jessi and me near the ocean. You can see by our wild hair that it was too windy and chilly to be out there for very long. BUT...we got to see the wild ponies, and that was our goal....mission accomplished!

Jessi was hungry for a pizza lunch, so we drove to a Pizza Hut outside of Ocean City and had a nice lunch. We did let her buy a really soft "wild pony" at the park visitor center and she wanted us to take a picture of her with the pony at lunch. She named the pony Princess, in case you were wondering!
15 comments:
I understand that most wild ponies owned by little girls are named "Princess" heheheheee
Thanks for sharing a very interesting day with us.
Such a great grandma you are. I bet she's having a wonderful time.
what a fun time.
i'm SUPER glad she got to see the wild horses and then got her very own softie.
she's such a cutie pie.
You all had such a fun time with Jessi and I, for one, really appreciate the "no poop" pictures ROFL.
Crispy
Misty of Chincoteque (I'm sure I've misspelled that), was my first and favorite horse book. I read thousands of them as a young girl. Your pictures have brought the tale to life. I do, however, believe I would have brought shovel and wheelbarrow and found myself cleaning up the poop! It's my job, doncha know, and it would drive me nuts to see it all.
When we went we never saw that many, however we never asked anyone. This is a must see site for anyone visiting in the area. Well worth the trip. Glad You and Jessie had a good time (Gary too)
What a great day! Looks like so much fun. I too, am thankful the pics were poop free! Especially since you had so many other things to show us, that were much prettier!
I love horses although I never owned one and only rode one horse in my whole life. They are beautiful animals. Looks like you had a fun day in spite of the wind and cold. Nothing like a little soft treasure from Grandpa and Grandma to remember the day....your little Princess has her own little Princess now. :-)
I am glad she got to see them. I bet that was a sight for her.
What a great outing despite the crummy weather. Love the pics of the wild horses and the 2 of you outside (windy or what???) and of course the pic of J with her princess
You aren't spoiling her are you? Nah...I didn't think so...
Love the photos of the wild ponies!
Wow, what a fun day...those horses look awesome...
Misty was my fav book as a child also!! I've seen those ponies - have never been to the roundup and auction tho- I'd be too tempted. There are so few wild horse herds left in the US. Glad your granddaughter got to see them!!!
Misty was my fav book as a child also!! I've seen those ponies - have never been to the roundup and auction tho- I'd be too tempted. There are so few wild horse herds left in the US. Glad your granddaughter got to see them!!!
Love the beach and the ponies.. beautiful scenery!
Post a Comment