Saturday, May 30, 2009

Purses for granddaughters.....



You may recall a short time ago,I won a pattern and fabric giveaway from Amanda and made the purse in the second picture below(with the fabrics she sent me which are also pictured next to the pattern). I have purchased fabric to make the same little purse for two of my granddaughters who have summer birthdays (and will put a gift card for a game inside for each of them). The one fabric has bumblebees on it...really cute, but I don't know if they would LIKE the purse to be mostly that fabric (might think it's too "kiddie" and one will be 11 and the other will be 9, so we know they are NOT kids any longer!!!) I'm having a hard time deciding which fabric to use for which part of the purse. Any ideas are welcomed! They don't see each other and don't see my blog, so they won't know if the purses are the same or different from each other. Look at the fabrics in the first picture (hopefully, it enlarges when you click on it) and let me know what you think, okay?

19 comments:

Faith said...

What a fabulous idea I do love those bumble bees, kids are so fussy arent they! what one loves another will not like...Id go ahead with the bees and the colours you have chosen, I'm sure they would love them!!
faithx

Gene Black said...

I think I would piece it and use more of either the yellow or the black and use the bees as an accent stripe. I want to see the results HOWEVER you do it.

Crispy said...

I really like the bumblebee fabric too but I have a feeling the girls won't. How about making them with the black polkadot, the tone on tone yellow for the partial square and the bee fabric for the handle and the strip across the front. That way it doesn't shout "little girl" but the bee fabric will give some texture to the accent areas.

IMHO LOL

Crispy

Kaye said...

I kinda like the bumble bees with the polka dot trim and handles. I look at the bees as summer not little girlish!!!!

Betsy said...

I think they will like it very much. I am looking forward to seeing it. Is that the bag with the zipper?
I have that pattern but I am afraid of zippers so I have not attempted it yet.

Nancy said...

I agree with Crispy...the black polka dot for the main body, the yellow for the accent pocket and the bumblebee for the strap and binding/strip across the front. Of course I also like the bumblebee fabric and would make the other one with the bumble bee for the main fabric and the black polka dot for both the pocket, strap and binding piece...
Can't wait to see them..

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Lots of good ideas on here already. I think using the bees for lining or a pocket would be great.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it will be very cute no matter what you choose!

quiltmom anna said...

Some of the other comments are such great ideas- Using the bumblebee as an accent sounds like a great idea. It makes me think of Mary Englebreit... or Debbie Mumm
I think you should trust your knowledge about your grand daughters. I have two god daughters who are now 16 and 13 and they are quite different in personality. One of them likes girly things and the other likes more classic lines. One is more artsy and the other is more athletic/ dance. I don't know if that helps or not but.. I am sure you will come up with something that will be just perfect for each of them. I know if it was something that came from my grandmother I would treasure it anyway.
Regards,
Anna

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Cute fabrics, Pat! Here's my thoughts....For the 11 year old make the back and lower front half of bag with the black and white polka dots, then yellow for the upper half and the bees for the little pocket. For your 9 year old which I think is Jesse, use the Bumble bee print for the back and lower front half, then yellow for the upper half and the little pocket in black and white polka dot. Whatever you do, though, they will like it!!

Sara said...

Hmmm...I tend to think like Sandi...but, then it takes me ten years to decide how I want my fabrics to go - especially if it is for kids...

For adults and myself - not a problem!!!

Barb said...

Maybe some funky flowers? I am so out of the loop when it comes to girls. Looks like you will have fun and it won't take long since you have already done one. Love the pattern...

limpingalong said...

Hi Pat,
My 9-1/2 yr granddaughter would rather have it black/white on bottom, then a strip of bumblebees, and then the yellow or solid black on top. I know I didn't think much of black/white when I was her age but she loves it. I guess trends change.

Kathy said...

I agree with limpingalong. If the younger child is like my younger granddaughter, she will want less bumblebee fabric and more black and white. Little girls like to be 'sophisticated' these days. They want to grow up so fast. I think it's a shame, but what can you do?

Busy Little Quilter said...

Mary Ann from Moonbeams in a Jar made a bag for her sister's birthday using these fabrics. It turned out really cute!

You have a lot of wonderful suggestions here. I do think the younger one won't mind bumblebees, but the older one would.


Have fun on your trip!

Rachel said...

Oohhh... I love those buttons. What a great find!

The bumblebee fabric is really cute - maybe too cute for an 11-year-old, but the younger one would probably like it. The polka dot fabric is great. Polka dots are so 'in' right now!

Show us the finished products, whatever you decide. That's such a neat little purse!

p.s. you married a musician? how sexy is that, eh? haha

Millie said...

Pat, I got so distracted with the band and imagine the buttons in a jar...it looks like a bag. Have fun laughing at my mistake!

Myra said...

I think a 9 year old would love a bumble bee purse, but the 11 year old would probably like something with funky flowers, or blue jean fabric... Just my 2-cents worth Pat! 8-)

Nanette Merrill said...

I've got my eyes on those bees!! So cute.