Thursday, December 4, 2008

Is it just my imagination, or......



Is it just my imagination, or are many of us behind the eight-ball this year when it comes to holiday decorating? From my own circle of friends, it seems everyone is behind where they'd like to be (and some are even considering giving up and not doing much decorating this year). I am seeing some of that "feeling" in the blogs I'm reading lately, too. I'm thinking part of the reason might be that Thanksgiving was so very close to the end of November this year....giving us only 3 days after that until December was upon us. I'd prefer to think that is the reason as the only other reason I can come up with is.....the general feeling of anxiety and sadness that seems to exist due to the present economic climate in our country. (I'd hate to think any of us would let that stop us from enjoying the personal satisfaction we get in our homes each year from seeing our much-loved favorite decorations surrounding us.)

Let me know the status of decorating in YOUR home, okay? Here, at our house, I am more behind than usual...and I'm blaming the fact that December came too soon. That's MY story...and I'm sticking to it!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! I came over to see you from Judy's blog. And, yes, I'm behind on my Christmas decorations. I have some up, but I still need to do the tree, etc. Hopefully, soon, right? Nice blog!

Val said...

Does it count if I packed up the Fall decorations? Will it count that hubby has a pulled muscle in his neck/shoulder and can't get the Christmas decorations down? Does it count that I'm having oral surgery tomorrow and won't feel like doing it? Hmmmmmm. No, I haven't even started but I see that you have your tree up! And who took my daughter and replaced her with this decorating maniac?

Sara said...

I am so far behind...I can't even begin to tell you how far behind I am.

But, this week-end I intend to get going - put out some pretty decorations on my window...and maybe start hanging my Christmas cards.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! I LOVE decorating for Christmas and have it all done -- kind of ahead of time actually for us! Of course, it helps having a baby in the house -- seems to give it more urgency. I even put lit trees on my dresser and will post a photo soon. Enjoy the season!

Busy Little Quilter said...

I have heard people say the same thing. One lady told me that she has the "2 hour" decorating theory. She pulls out every thing and what she gets done in 2 hours is it; the rest of it goes back in storage. I can't say that for myself. It has taken me a week...a solid week to decorate. I spent all day today decorating. My daughter asked me why it takes so long, then she picked up something. I said, "Oh. That would make a great center piece" and I started gathering greenery and ribbon. She said, "Now I see why it takes you so long!" I did get the tree up today, the garlands, and decorated my dining room with my new quilted Christmas tablecloth. I still have some things to finish in there, but for the most part I don't feel as though I'm drowning in Christmas decorations or that Christams exploded at my house this year.

I hope, too, that people aren't enjoying the season because of the economic situation. It's hard on all of us, but nothing can take the spirit of Christmas away. Nothing. I have so much to be thankful for, and feel truly blessed no matter what my future holds. It reminds me of the story of the Grinch. Not that I'm a Grinch, but even though the Who's woke up to nothing under their tree, it didn't take presents or food to make them feel the spirit of Christmas and to feel what is in their hearts.

Kathy said...

Well, you've seen photos of some of my decorations, so you know that I'm one of those annoying people who started decorating Thanksgiving weekend. It helps that I have no family close by (my kids live in Arizona and England!) so I had a free weekend, so to speak. I have added a few more items since then, but still have not dragged my tree out of its box in the basement. Next week, sometime, for sure.

I don't see how you can say that you are behind in your decorating when you have that huge display out in your yard. Or is that your DH's decorating and you have to handle the inside stuff?

I haven't noticed any lack of Christmas spirit among my friends, but most of them are retired, often from the federal gov't. so we are not worried aboutlosing our incomes. Also the Washington, DC area on the whole is less affected by recessions than areas with manufacturing because the federal gov't is the area's biggest employer.