Friday, December 12, 2008

Thrift shop goodies....



I just love, love, LOVE bargains...don't you? And...I love to check out thrift shops and yard sales and things like that. A few posts back, I told you about the neat, computerized light display my husband did here for the holidays. We have a food-collection bin out front each night. Today I took two full bags of the donated food to the food pantry, which is right by a thrift shop. SOOO...like a magnet, I was pulled into the thrift shop.

For Christmas Eve when I play bells at church, I had been looking for a white or cream-colored sweater (since we have to wear black and white). You'd think it was easy to find such a sweater, but it's not, I have discovered! (And...the few I found were horribly expensive...a purchase I can't justify since I won't wear it that often.) Well...lucky day for me....I found one at the thrift shop....very nice knit....extremely soft...great quality...with a pretty cowl neck AND it was only $1 as part of a buy one/get one special. What a FIND!!! Can you imagine??? I was a happy camper...for sure. I also got a two-piece sweater set (in mauve).

AND...I got two older (but nice) quilting books. That's them in the picture in this post today. The patterns in them are what attracted me...especially the patterns in the machine applique book. There are nearly 80 pages of patterns in that one book alone!!! WOW....fun times ahead for me!

So...I got all those goodies (the sweaters AND the books) for a total of just $4.75 today. I sure am glad I decided to go in there after making that food drop-off!!! :)

6 comments:

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Hi Pat!
I love your blog! Thanks for the email and kind comments about my blog. I will check back often I promise.

Pat Wys
Silver Thimble Quilt Co.

Kathy said...

I love thrift shops too. I used to work in one - never had such fun as there. We got to look through all the donated stuff and I did the window displays using whatever items we had and a lot of creativity! We were all sad when that shop closed.

In England the shops are called charity shops and there are many near where Kate lives, so I have a great time poking around and seeing what English people discard.

Sara said...

Oh, I love it when I find a good buy. This last year my neighbor across the street was moving and I found a brand new in the box still humidifier (which I really needed)...got it for $3.00 and two quilting books - nice ones and one of them hadn't even be opened - for $2.00.

When I checked at Wal-Mart the humidifier was $35.00...

Anonymous said...

Pat -- There's nothing better than a good treasure hunt, and that's what it sounds like you did. Hooray for you for finding such great deals!
Jennifer

Busy Little Quilter said...

Congratulations on finding such great buys at the thrift store! How fun!

julieQ said...

I too love the thrift shops...in fact, buy many articles of clothing there! Some with store tags still in place. Beats full price! More cash for quilting...