I have a real fondness for lilacs.....the smell is heavenly (to me) and I love to watch the flowers swaying in the breeze against the blue sky. Yesterday, though, there was heavy rain predicted and I didn't want to see the few flowers my bush produced this year be destroyed in the rain, so I cut a couple of them that I could reach easily and brought them inside to enjoy. (The rain never did materialize...but that's okay...I'll enjoy the flowers inside anyway.) I wish the flowers lasted longer. This bush was brought by us from our previous home in NJ and transplanted into our yard here, so it is extra-special for me to have it flower each spring for me. I know you can click on the photo to enlarge the picture (don't they look BEAUTIFUL?), but just this once, I wish you could click on the photo and enjoy the fragrance! Close your eyes and let your imagination soar.... and maybe you CAN smell them. Don't they smell SOOOO good?
21 comments:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love the smell toooo and the colors.....thanks for the pictures and the memory....
Pat I have never seen Lilacs. They are beautiful.
Lilacs are wonderful to see and smell. Too bad the blooms are so short-lived. You are fortunate to have one to enjoy. This is the first place I've lived where I don't have lilacs - no room in my small garden. However, my neighbor has a dwarf variety, now in bloom and smelling just like the old-fashioned ones.
I too love lilacs, they just perfume the air. I noticed that my BIG bushes along the whole side of my garage are starting to get leaves.
Crispy
oh my brings back memories of me living in PA when I has lilacs bushes around my daughters bedroom window. In the spring we would open the window and take in a deep breath.. Awwwwwwwww thanks
Hugs Susan
I'm jealous - my ancient lilac bush got damaged in a fire (fire dept practice burn of an old house on our property) and is not flowering this year. I have alot of white lilacs sprouting new little plants - but they don't flower as well......:>(
My favorite flower! Absolutely love them and you are right the smell aaahhhhhhhhhh. My first house in NY we planted lilacs outside the den windows. When we moved they were as high as the windows (raised ranch). We moved to Hyde Park and I missed them so we planted them again. 8 across my back yard near the deck. They were given to me as gifts from my kids and my idea was to to give us some privacy on the deck and enjoy the smell as I used that deck a lot. Well we moved again, and here we are but no lilacs. I"ll have to come and enjoy yours LOL
I clicked on the photo & closed my eyes so I could smell the flowers... It worked :):) I love lilacs too!
I clicked and closed my eyes for the magic as well...thank you..;-)We need to move MIL's older bush any tips? Has no size to it at all and does not look that well.
Figured if we moved it here at least would give it a chance to make it.
We need a smell-a-blog for this post. Lovely.
Wonderful Lilacs!
Surprized to hear you moved your bush! I never would have thought of that when we moved in 2007... good for you! We had about 80 to 100 lilac bushes at our previous home... I think I am going to have to plant at least one in this small yard... 8-)
Enjoy your lilac fragrances...
I love Lilacs, and they are so wonderfully odor-ific!
Cheers,
Dionne
They ARE beautiful. Maybe someone will invent scratch and sniff blogs. ☺
My lilacs aren't yet in bloom, but I love the smell, too. Our local garden guru, Cisco Morris, says the best way to take care of a lilac is to abuse it! Don't fertilize it or water it too much. And moving them is no problem. My lilacs at my old place were too big to move, but I dug up ALL of my perrenials and roses!
Hi Pat,
Just checking in and I can smell the lilacs!!! They are my favorite but we won't see them here in Minnesota until later this month. I'll take a photo here and post it when they begin to bloom!:-) I have a lilac tablerunner in my "to do" pile. Maybe this year, I'll get to it!
I just love our lilacs too but they aren't doing so well this year. Enjoy, they do smell so wonderful!
Lilacs are the flower I assiciate with my childhood. Don't know why ~ perhaps my parents and grandparents had bushes. I love the deep purple ones, like yours. There is nothing like the perfume of lilacs on a gentle breeze.
Beautiful flowers! I don't know if lilacs would grow here -- I don't think I've ever seen them growing anywhere. Thanks so much for sharing them with me.
Just yesterday I was missing my lilacs. I had several in KY and have none here. I guess I need to plant some. They do smell so good! Love that really darker one in the first picture.
I can almost smell the lilacs...I planted some lilac bushes this year but they weren't mature enough to have blooms this year so I will imagine the smell of yours!!!
Wonderful. We don't have this flower in my country, Brazil. Hugs
Post a Comment