Friday, April 17, 2009

2nd post for today...and I need some blogging help

EDITED TO ADD: the problem has been solved...see post in the morning to learn how! Last month when I changed my background on my blog to an Easter layout, it did not go smoothly. I have held my breath since that time in fear of what would happen when I went to get rid of the Easter background. I had been using a webpage called The Cutest Little Blog on the Block and had good results PRIOR to changing my background for Easter. Now I can't get the Easter background to totally go away. What is on my blog now is a combination of one of the Blogger templates AND the Easter background. I truly don't know what to do. Do any of you have any ideas??? I hate to close down my blog and start over as I don't want to lose all the previous posts and my followers' list and everything that it has taken months to "build" on here...but I am at a loss as to what to do about this. Needless to say, I am NOT a happy camper right now. I have to go out tonight (about 5:30, actually) or I'd spend the entire night working on this. If you have ANY ideas (or have experienced this problem yourself), please let me know, okay?

5 comments:

Crispy said...

Ok Pat, this is my suggestion, keep in mind that I'm no computer expert but this is the process I went through to set up my 3 column template.

Set up 2 test blogs, one without the background and one with the background....call them something like NOBG (no background) and WBG (with background). The reason you are doing this is so you can locate the code that creates the background.

Now, with both blogs open go to the dashboard on each blog, click on Layout and then click on Edit HTML. Compare the HTML between the two blogs to find the differences, be sure to check every line. Once you have located the differences try making the changes in the WBG HTML code, save it and then view the blog. If it doesn't work the first time, don't worry, just double check everything.

When you have successfully "fixed" the WBG blog, open your blog, go to the areas your have found and delete/change the code to what it should be.

I know this is labor intensive, but is the only way I can think of fixing your problem. Maybe someone will have an easier solution.

I make things so hard sometimes, so I'm going to ask the obvious....have you contacted the website for fixes? LOL

Crispy - sorry for the long post

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting. Even though I've done web site creation for years (a hobby for me), when I set up my blog I was hesitant to change the background from the generic ones offered by blogspot. After reading Crispy's comment, I think I made the right decision. ;) Good luck, Pat!

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Okay Pat, try this...I just did it and it worked. I had an Easter background from The Cutest Little Blog on the Block too.

Before you start, bookmark your blog page so that you can have 2 tabs showing your blog page if need be. Make sure you know how to find it to click on it when you go into your bookmarks, LOL!

You should only have one window open, your blog page.

1. Click on the TCLBB logo and their website should open up in another tab.

2. Choose the background you want and make sure you highlight all the typed code in the box by pressing down the CONTROL button and while you're pressing on it hit the C key. That copies the typed code in that box.

3. Go back to your blog and click the edit symbol for the appropriate gadget that you're changing (in this case the TCLBB)

4. A little window will open up with all the typed code. Highlight all of it and hit backspace or delete.

5. Now you can add the new code by pressing down (and holding) the CONTROL key and V key. This pastes the code from the website.

6. Don't forget to press 'save' before you close that window.

Now I just did all of this and when it said 'view blog' all it did was load over and over again.

Remember I told you to bookmark your blog page? Well, open up another tab and click on bookmarks and find your blog page. Once it comes up hit the refresh key and your blog should come up with the new background. As for the other tab that has your blog page? Just close that tab now, if it's like mine it'll say it's still loading.

Hope this works for you if you try it. You certainly don't need to close done your blog :^)

Barb said...

You have some really great help above, if that doesn't work, I have a solution but will wait to know if what they tell you to do works. Good luck!!!

Gene Black said...

Pat -email me if you want me to help. I have an idea..but we will need to talk privately about it.