Friday, April 3, 2009

A sign of spring......


This photo shows a hummingbird at one of our feeders during the summer. A few years back, I found a webpage that tracks ruby-throated hummingbird sightings in the eastern part of the United States. Prior to that, I never realized how early the first hummers appear. They fly ahead to scout out good feeding areas. I discovered that if you don't put feeders out for the early visitors, they will set up "camp" for the season elsewhere (where they find good feeding)...but if you put the feeders out when they first arrive, you will attract a good number of them all season long. If you want to visit that website, click HERE. Then scroll down to the second map for the U.S. migration and you can see if they are near your area yet. (The top map shows migration for Canada.) It appears from checking the map that I must get the feeders here cleaned out and ready. I guess this means spring really IS on the way...because these birds can't be wrong.....can they? Side note: kids coming this weekend to surprise their dad for his birthday, so I won't be doing much blog reading or replying to comments on my blog, either....but will try to catch up on Sunday night.

9 comments:

Crispy said...

Hey, they don't come to my part of North Dakota. This is for the ruby throated ones so maybe other species hang out here.

Hava a great weekend with you family!!

Crispy

rachel griffith said...

oh how pretty.
:D

and yayyy for seeing the kiddos.
happy birthday to the hubby!!!

Anonymous said...

That was weird...I just thought to myself this morning when I stepped out that I needed to get out my early feeder and then I read your post! I guess I better get to it! It is to be in the 70's next few days and with me in NC...they are coming!!!

LINDA BYLSMA said...

We don't have the ruby throated variety here, but thanks for the reminder to get the feeders out early. The hummingbirds nest in our evergreens, sometimes so low you can look right in the nests.
We leave alpaca fiber scattered about, and all of the birds love it for their nests.

Betsy said...

I used to see alot of them in North Carolina but rarely here in Florida.

quiltingnana said...

so good to catch up with you...sounds like you have been busy

Val said...

I love hummingbirds. I mean what isn't to love about them!! We put our feeders out by mid February in this part of the world. This year has been too cold though and I didn't keep them out. Was afraid they'd freeze and crack. Guess I better get them back out there. Beautiful picture.

ooglebloops said...

I just took out my hummingbird feeder last night- probably a little late, but I'll get it out today!!!!
And, I will think about posting a tutorial on my 'mugger huggers' later in the week- thanks for asking!!!:>) It's pretty simple.

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Oh Pat, I am having a Give Away, check it out....Hugs, Mary