Anyway...........below are some photos of blocks I have done from the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler book I got (and showed here a day or two back). I am enjoying doing these. The whole quilt has 140 blocks and I intend to do all of them. I was puzzling about what color scheme to use and then decided to do it all scrappy....and then tie it all together with sashing and borders. I am picking fabrics I have in my stash (so far) and really like...but ones for which I had no other plans.
These are the first 2 blocks I made.....called Album 2 and Friendship Star. The Friendship Star looks light here but it's got slightly better contrast when you see it in person or if you click to enlarge it. The Friendship Star is a very easy block and Album 2 wasn't difficult, either.
This was the next block I made.......called Blazing Star. It has the Y seams....and there were 8 sections where they had to be used (2 seams per section), so it had an appropriate name...BLAZING...as it was trial by fire for me to make this block! I had to do the Y seams by hand....because I made a mess doing it by machine. If you click on it and look closely, you will see it's not perfect (centers don't match exactly) and it's a little "bumpy" in spots..... BUT I have declared it fine enough to go into the quilt. You know the old saying...."It will quilt out". I could tell I got much better with the Y seams by the end of the block, though, so I don't anticipate trouble in the remaining blocks with Y seams.
After doing the difficult (to me) Y seamed Blazing Star block, I allowed myself to do an easy one.....this Churn Dash block. So...I now have 4 of the blocks done and "only" 136 to go. How long do you think it will take me to make this quilt top?? LOL
22 comments:
Your blocks look wonderful! I have this book too and thought I'd do it one day too. I like the idea of going scrappy! How are you choosing the order you're making them in?
I really have to get this book before it goes out of print. Your blocks are wonderful Pat!! How will you do the applique ones, needle turn or fuse?
As for how long...well if you do 4 in a week and there's 52 weeks in a year, you should have blocks, sashing and borders done in a year :0)
Crispy
Hey, in the 'blazing star" do you know what fabric line the center (dotted) fabric is?
The blocks are lovely. Enjoy the quiet.
I need another project like I need another hole in my head, but I've got to get that book. Your blocks look great. Enjoy the peace and quiet.
Blocks look fantastic! Painting work...doesn't sound fun but the "after" will be wonderful!!
I hear you about no pounding and hammering etc...when we moved in here we had contractors finish the upper level of the house....it drove me crazy!!!
looks like a fun project.I like using my stash up so I can buy more :)
it took me 8 months to make 121 blocks in my Civil War quilt .
Looks like a class in the making teach!! What a nice project to do, and the blocks are coming out very nice, I especially like the color combos.
Love the blocks... I can relate to the Y seams I made the Lone star and it had four. I have avoided patterns with Y seams ever since. But in Ocotber I am going to take a work shop with designer Karen Neary from Nova Scotia and the project we are making ha Y seams.
Happy labor day
Beautiful, Pat, you are doing a wonderful job.
Pat you did a fabulous job with that Y seam. You will have to come here and help me with mine. I like your idea for the room makeover and your blocks are very nice, It is so good to hear that you are sewing again.
Nice blocks, Pat. 136 to go????
Enjoy the peace and quiet of the weekend.
This is a project, and you are off and running with these lovely blocks. I wondered about block size but notice on your cutting mat they are about 6.5 inches. It will be a nice sized quilt if you make them all! I stopped on block #80-something with my Dear Jane quilt -- seem to have lost interest. I think a smaller baby Jane wall-hanging or lap quilt is now my goal!
You've been busy! I'm so glad you're back at the sewing machine and going full-force. It must be nice to have some peace and quiet after all that chaos.
Looks like you're making yourself some lemonade out of the lemons you've been given - a 'new' bedroom! Can't wait to see it ☺
Love your SBS blocks Pat! I hope to start my SBS blocks in a few months.
Enjoy your P and Q before the workers
come back on Tuesday...
Great blocks...and knowing you - it won't take you that long to get it done!!! You just did 4 blocks...I'm betting less than a month...
You are making hay while the sun is shining.....great blocks...
You have really set yourself a task with that quilt. I guess you could think of it as a kind of BOM only about 12 blocks a month, or a 3 year BOM. ;-)
Love those blocks , enjoy your peace while it lasts !
Your blocks look beautiful! Hugs, Mary
Lovely blocks, especially the last one in blue and yellow floral. I printed out all the blocks for the sampler from Jennifer's site last year and have three of them done. I came across them a couple weeks ago and thought "this would be a good winter project". Oh, my "to do" list is long! Back from the fair and had a good day. Wee bit tired but back to blogging tomorrow.
Your blocks are lovely!! I too love that polka dot fabric in the middle of the blazing star. Can you tell us the designer/maker. I'm collecting Polka dot fabrics for a Polka dot quilt one day. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment