Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My wonderfully fun class on Monday.....

I absolutely LOVED my class with Gyleen Fitzgerald on Monday. (Click HERE for her website.) She gave a lecture first at our guild meeting on her newest book.....Quilts: Unfinished Stories with New Endings (which you can see on her website). She had ALL the quilts from the book there to show us and to describe how she finished them for the book. (She had acquired them in various stages of completion and some went back to the 1920's). It was a fun and fascinating talk. She sure keeps everyone's attention. This first photo is one of the quilts....the front of it.......and then the back....Gyleen does backs that can actually be used as fronts.......and each one is terrific.I took several photos of quilts but overshot my flash on some of them......and wish I hadn't as some of them were better shots than these previous two. Next is a photo of 3 of us who made blocks for the quilt by which we are standing. It is a quilt Gyleen has featured in one of her tiny books (In This House) as well as she has a pattern for it. In the photo (left to right) are me, Kaye (click here for her blog), another gal from guild named Pat (no blog) and Gyleen. My block, in case you were wanting to know, is in the 3rd row from the top...2nd block from the left...a yellow house with a cat in the window.
Below, Gyleen is holding a top made from the blocks from the free Block of the Month she designed that may be found on her website. It is based on tiles.......pretty crisp-looking. I may decide to make these, because we all know I don't have enough projects already in progress. hahahahaHA I didn't think to ask Gyleen if the fabrics in this are any of her hand-dyes...as she does beautiful hand-dyes (on top of being a writer, designer, teacher AND holding down a fulltime job as some kind of engineer, I believe). I wish I could bottle her energy...that's for sure!
The last photo (below) shows my project from class........no borders yet. It's Gyleen's Batik Star Tesselation pattern.....REALLY a fun pattern once you get the hang of it....and easy, too (again, once you understand how to do it). I am NOT one to do lots of colors...I usually pick one safe colorway and everything is pretty much "matchy-matchy" but I trusted Gyleen and took chances with this and like it a lot so far....although I will be the first to admit it is really WILD. (Nothing like a scrappy batik to look wild, I guess.) I will show it again once I get the border fabric chosen and done (and I am going to spill a couple of stars out into the border the way she showed us to do it). As I have told you before, if you ever get the chance to hear her speak or take a class from her, go DO it. (I think she may be at the Houston show teaching this year...unless that was last year and time has just flown by!!! LOL) Check out her website, too (at the link above). If you take a class from her, she provides support to you via telephone and email until you are done with the project, so you are not left dangling with unanswered questions...which is terrific. I am currently picking her brain about borders for this piece! Gyleen...if you are reading this, thanks for being such a super quilt designer and teacher (and lecturer).

16 comments:

Betsy said...

Pat I love your block. It is so modern and beautiful. I would definetly consider making that. I love the info and pictures you posted of your work shop. In the house is the pattern I purchased. You are so right, she is an amazing woman.

Gene Black said...

That looks like the class was a lot of fun. The block is very interesting. I think if I did it, I would want to make a foreground (bright) and background (dark solid) set of stars, so it still tessellates, but the foreground stars would really pop forward.
Did she discuss that possibility?

Crispy said...

Oh Pat your stars are wonderful!! I don't know if I could get away from the matchy matchy thing easily either....I'm such a control freak LOL

Crispy

Kaye said...

Pat, yours came out beautiful, you did a super job. I hope mine is half as nice (if I ever get it done)

JustCindy said...

Great block! The class sounds like too much fun.

Kathy said...

That quilt with the stars is spectacular!! I think it's great. I guess you can tell that I prefer modern and bright colors in quilts. I'm sure you will enjoy using it, once you become accustomed to all those different colors. Just think how practical is it - goes with everything! LOL

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun day, and your work is lovely! I love the "back art" done by Gyleen. It's great when a quilt becomes reversible!

Needled Mom said...

Love the block. What fun it must have been to see all of those finished quilts.

Shabby Cottage Shoppe said...

Hi Pat,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for the sweet comment.
Marydon has been a tremendous help and so far I am enjoying it very much. Still have a lot to learn though. Love your quilt post...my mother in law is a fabulous quilter ~ she would probably find this post very interesting so I'll pass it on to her.
Gail

Sara said...

Great day! Love the cat in the window block...

The quilt you are making is really pretty...it's not one of my favorite designs - but, I like what you are doing with it...

Now - those tile blocks! Oh, yea - I like those...

Barb said...

Wow, I love your whole post, the photos...the information...all of it. I am going to scoot over to her blog. Thanks pat.

Gari in AL said...

the house quilt is great. I have wanted to do one so maybe this one sometime next year (this year is full up). And, I really like your tesselating stars. I really like bright colors so this one may have to go on the "to do" list for next year, also. Opps, 2010 is looking busy, isn't it?

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Beautiful quilts and what a great program! Gee and another BOM to collect. :-) What could be better? I love how colorful all the quilts are. They just sparkle! Hope Tara is doing better by this time. Set-backs like this are not fun and make the healing process longer. Keeping her in my prayers....:-)

Rachel said...

Oh what a beautiful quilt. I don't think it's too WILD at all. It's lovely. You must have really enjoyed your workshop - the pictures are great!

Hope your daughter is doing well. Knee surgery sounds awful. The lack of mobility would be so frustrating!

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Love your quilt and photos of the class. I've been gone and just read about your daughter, I hope she is doing well, thoughts and prayers for her.
Keep Stitchen'
Bonnie

ooglebloops said...

her quilts are beautiful - and yours is too!! It does not look easy - but I would love to learn how to do that!!!!
Hope your daughter is doing better - and your envelope brings good results from Janome!!!