Monday, September 7, 2009

Not a quilting post......

Before I begin this post, let me thank all of you for your sympathetic and supportive comments about my continuing sewing machine problems with my Janome. I intend to discuss this quite seriously with the dealer one day this week. (I have to be here for the interior repair work as hubby has a prior commitment....so I can't go to the dealer until maybe Wed. or Thursday.) I will keep you updated. Maybe I'll have to start an email writing campaign to Janome headquarters by my blogger friends...letting Janome know that word is spreading about my "lemon" of a machine!!! Okay....now off that topic and onto my non-quilting topic for today's post.

Yesterday was the Sunday that our folk group does the music at the 10:00 church service (first Sunday of each month). I sing with the group and hubby plays guitar. We have several teens in the group......and we have drums and keyboard and various percussion instruments as well as flute. It is a great group and our music is well-received. Our leader, Sheila, who is also the pastor's wife, recently got a mandolin and used it for the first time yesterday. This is a photo of her using it when we were practicing before the service. (She also plays guitar....we have several guitar players in the group.) I really enjoy being part of this group and I am also part of the handbell choir at the church. Sometime I'll get pictures of the bell group to post here. I've been part of church music programs for several years (when we lived in NJ) but this is by far my favorite.Below are a couple of photos of our church (St. Peter's by the Sea). It is in the town of Lewes in Delaware and it is a very old church and has a lot of history connected with it. It is more than 300 years old (not this present building....that is a bit newer...not much, but a bit). I know we have more photos (some better than these) but I'll be darned if I can find them right now. I love this church, though....the beautiful building AND the people who make up its staff and congregation!
HAPPY LABOR DAY to all who celebrate it!

18 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow still having trouble with the machine?? I hope you get it settled soon!
Cool looking Church & bet the Mandolin playing was beautiful!

Crispy said...

Oh what a beautiful church!! We have some wonderful choirs in our little town. I'm not a church goer but I get to enjoy the singing at town functions or when they have services outside.

Crispy

Gene Black said...

I would have loved to be there for the music (as well as the service) To me music makes worship fuller. I can't imagine going to the early service with no music.

I will be happy to join in your email campaign.

ooglebloops said...

I will join your email campaign also!!! Isn't that church the one with the very old interesting cemetary? That caught my eye while walking thru Lewes.

Kathy said...

What a beautiful church!!! I know the music was wonderful too. Thanks for sharing with us. I'll be glad to help out in your campaign.

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Your church is just beautiful. The music during mass is my favorite...I cry every Sunday! Music adds so much...I'd be a blubbering mess if our church had that many instruments playing at once.
Have a great day,
~Karen~

Scrappy quilter said...

What a beautiful church. I too love worship music. Hugs..

Anonymous said...

Your belong to a gorgeous church...I just love that door! It all reminds me of Europe.
OH..and as for the machine....I don't own a Janome so I can't help write a complaint campaign for you...but wishing you lots of luck in getting this ridiculous problem remedied.

Jean said...

sounds like a wonderful group. Glad you have found them!!! The pix of the church are great too.

Pat's Place said...

Beautiful, beautiful pictures of your church. And, I will join an e-mail blitz of the dealer. You should not have to endure that kind of torture when you are sewing--over and over again. Not to mention the hassle of having to return to the manufacturer time and time again.

sewfunquilts said...

I own 3 Janome machines and have never had any trouble with them. I love them. I worked for a Janome dealer for several years, and the Corp. personnel was terrific to work with and cooperate when there was a problem. I'm sure you will have good luck with the Janome Corp. They definitely want to keep their name and buyers happy!

julieQ said...

I am sorry for your machine trouble, hope it all get squared away, it is enough to make a quilter need chocolate IV! Love your church...especially the hymn numbers on the board. Seems so much like my little hometown church.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

What a lovely post and a beautiful church. The picture of the doors at the end of your post remind me of a photo that I took of doors on a church in England! Beautiful!! Have a great day, Pat!

Barb said...

Just let me know where and I will write a letter.

What a wonderful way to spend your Sunday's and I am sure the congregation just loves your music as well.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Your church is soooo lovely. Don't you love the way contemporary music is getting so popular. DRUMS..WHO KNEW!

That machine. I swear they need to refund your money it has been such an ordeal for you.grrrrr

Pat

Gari in AL said...

Ah, talented in more than one area! What a joy.

Jackie's Stitches said...

What a beautiful building! I love the purple doors!

Kim Walus said...

What a beautiful church. The pictures are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. I love music too and have sung in the choir on and off for many years.