Sunday, September 13, 2009

Hooray for yard sales.......

Oh, I know Barb in American Samoa is going to feel bad as she SO misses going to yard sales, so I apologize to her.....but...I have to tell you about my adventures yesterday with 2 friends.......Linda and Pat A (both blogless). We usually have another gal, Ruth, with us but she is away for a few days. We were having a disappointing morning and then things turned around and got better. Linda got a set of 3 LOVELY floral prints (matted and in frames and under glass) for a few dollars (can't recall the exact cost). Pat A got a great Ethan Allen table (with 2 leaves) and 6 upholstered chairs for her daughter's new apartment for just $100 AND the seller drove the items to Pat's house. (She and her husband will get their pick-up truck down here in October and transport the items back to their daughter's place in MD). I got several small items...the best buys are pictured below. I've not been able to go to yard sales the past several weeks, so it was fun to go this weekend. Today we have the church picnic at the Delaware Episcopal camp (Camp Arrowhead) on one of the bays near our house...it's a great location and the weather is supposed to be fairly nice. I'll get some photos and blog about that tomorrow. Now for the photos of my 3 best buys at the yard sales.....

This basket is going to be great to store lots of little notions neatly on top of one of the dressers in my sewing space. It was just $1...which I thought wasn't bad.....will leave the plastic liner inside so no sharp notions can escape (or put a hole in the basket).Next is a nice-sized basket to hold scraps (or a project that is in progress). I'd have been happier if it had a lid, but it's okay that it doesn't. It was $3...another fair price, I thought.I got these 2 pieces of fabric for 50 cents each. The plaid is a 2-yard piece and the other is a little more than 1 yard. You know I was happy with all that fabric for just $1 total. I just realized there is one more thing I'll show.....when I take a photo of it....a piece of Mexican pottery that cost me just 35 cents. I'd like to try to get info on it from the markings on the bottom of the piece, if possible. I'll try to photograph that later today and post about it soon.

14 comments:

BROOKE said...

Fantastic finds! We have the Flea market today and I've been so excited about them - I tried to show up last weekend!

Gene Black said...

LOL...I wish I had been with you. I don't have anyone to yard sale with. It just isn't fun alone.

I love the smaller basket.

Crispy said...

Ummm Pat don't you already have a large basket for scraps, with a lid that won't fit because the basket is too full???? Now I could be wrong as I read many blogs and my memory is awful....LOL

Crispy

Anonymous said...

I always see the signs and collections of goodies offered on lawns as I pass by. I think I may have to start stopping by instead!

Betsy said...

Pat you got some great steals! I paid $20.00 for the tall wicker basket. It is my scrap bin. Sounds like you had fun too. Congratulations!

Pat said...

Well....Crispy, your memory IS wrong....as I don't already have a large basket full of scraps, I have TWO baskets full of scraps already (both with lids) and now this will be a third one (but without a lid) for scraps. LOL

ooglebloops said...

Grat finds - baskets and pottery are what I look for!!! And what a GREAT deal on Ethan Allen stuff - delivery included!!! LOL

Kaye said...

You girls did great, I miss going to the yard sales. The material is great!WTG

Sara said...

I went to a couple of yard sales yesterday...

Barb said...

I am having a heart attack here.....love your finds....wish I could have gone...will be sad all day.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

SCORE! Way to go you got some real goodies.

Glad you are out having fun and not dealing with the sewing machine meanies...

Pat

Scrappy quilter said...

You found some wonderful things and all at a great price. WTG!!

Kim D. said...

Love the baskets, I have lots of baskets also, they are great for storing sewing projects and fabric. You really scored with the red fabrics too.

karenshopes said...

Sounds like you had some very good finds. I love being able to reuse other peoples unwanted items.
Karen