See the cute Superior Scribblers' Award on my sidebar? I will blog about that in the next few days.
Connecting Threads was having a book sale (still going on, in case you are interested). They are offering 40% off all in-stock books and if you order more than $50 worth, you get free shipping. Here are the books I got.....click on them to see them larger. I'm happy with all of them!!! I hope to make many (if not all) the blocks in the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler (Elm Creek Quilts) book....but I see some have Y seams and I'm kind of afraid of them. Do any of you have advice about Y seams (or know of a good tutorial for them?)

15 comments:
All nice books Pat. Enjoy.
Let me know what you think of the machine quilting book. I am curious about it.
I don't even know what a "Y" seam is!! LOL
The books look lik they'll give you lots to do. I'll have to go check them out.
Oooo great books, I really want to get the Elm Creek one but the budget is blown for now :0(
Y seams are easy for a hand piecer. I imagine that if you stop 1/4 inch from the end and do a back stitch you will be able to make the turn easily. Maybe a machine piecer can give a different way of doing it.
Crispy
Great books. If I saw a Y seam, I'd just move on to something easier. Ha. I guess I don't like a challenge.
Thanks for posting about my giveaway.
Greats book.All give lots to do, do as xmas is nearly, i chose that one.
Thanks
What a great batch of books! I'm especially fond of that adorable little Scottie Dog on the cover of the Applique one :) Been quilting for yrs, but have yet to tackle a "Y" seam! Good luck and tks for the sale heads up about that fantastic sale!
Wonderful books! Have fun.
Y seams are easier for hand piecing I think.
Does the book not give you some tips?
I bet there is a great TUT out there some where on doing it both by hand and machine.
Good luck.
Have fun with those books.....looks interesting.
I use a pencil to mark a dot on the fabric 1/4 from the edge so you know where to stop from both directions, and press the seam open... don't know of any tutorials, but there is a good description in the books "Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!!" by McClun and Nownes. Hope this helps, good luck!
Great books!
Enjoy your new books.
Y Seams! Yikes! I thought they were going to kill me but I'm a inexperienced quilter. I finally asked for some help and it helped tremendously. Now, I just need more practice.
Wow, Love those books, looks like you're going to have lots of fun experimenting with blocks.
Kim
I too am working on those set in seams! I really love the SBS book, and the blocks are just so pretty. Hope you enjoy it too, and I think just doing it over and over will make it easier for both of us.
Post a Comment