Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Only two more rows to do.....

We have a small group of quilters who all live within a few blocks of each other in my neighborhood. Sometimes we work on our own projects and sometimes we just talk when we get together. We take turns meeting in each other's homes. Today we were at my house. It was a day where all of us were tired from our various Easter activities, so we mostly just talked and planned what we'll do next time we meet. We decided to do paper-piecing and I'll "guide" them on that since I'm the one with the most experience. (I really enjoy paper-piecing!) I brought out a few of my books and told them each to pick a block as with only four of them going to be here, I could easily do individual instruction of whichever block they chose. As it turns out, two of them chose to do a hummingbird block and the other two chose a goldfinch. I think they will enjoy their lesson and will be happy with the results. Now.....the title of this post is "only two more rows to do"...and that's because our little group of six has been doing a row-by-row quilt. We made our own "rules"....each of us chose a block and we made that same block in multiples for ourselves and for each of the other five gals...in their fabrics, of course. It's always fun to see how the blocks look in the different fabrics, isn't it? The two blocks shown here are the blocks that I'm doing. It's the Flying X block from Quilter's Cashe. (You should be able to click on it to see it enlarged.) So far, I've done my own row and the rows for three of the other gals....so I only have TWO more rows of blocks to do....YAY!!! While I've developed a real system and can chain piece these babies now like nobody's business, I'm also getting very tired of doing them. (I guess the only thing that keeps me from being totally bored with them is getting to change fabrics with each row I do! I don't think I could do 36 of them in the SAME fabrics.)

11 comments:

Betsy said...

Pat these blocks are very nice.

Gene Black said...

Par, you are so right about the different fabric creating different looks. I thought they were different blocks. Then I took a good look after reading your entire post. I can see it is the same but VERY different.

Gene Black said...

Sorry about the typing! that "Par" was supposed to be PAT.

Nancy said...

How fun to do a row by row with friends... Can't wait to see the finished projects...

Crispy said...

Oh I hear ya on getting tired of doing the same block. The row robin I did was with 8 other ladies, 8 blocks each. I don't know what I was thinking when I picked the Best Friends block from Quilters Cache. This was an experience I will never do again LOL.

Crispy

ooglebloops said...

They are very nice - I can't wait to see the finished products!!! I have a very short attention span - I too, would get bored doing the same ones over and over!! LOL

Millie said...

Lovely blocks and what a nice row by row with friends. The finished quilts will tel so much stories.

Barb said...

I like the block as well...one thing I do when I am having a hard time finihing something or get tired of it is play those tunes!!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting how one block can look so different with different fabrics! I know the feeling of sewing non-stop. In addition to sometimes getting bored, I also get very tired. I admire any of you who can sew like this!

Sara said...

Now you know why I like to do scrap quilts!!! Don't have to do the same block over and over...

Those turned out really nice!

andsewon said...

Pretty blocks Pat. Will look so nice and scrappy with all different fabs. What a fun group to do these projects together.
Look forward to seeing your top when all the blocks are sewn up!