Thursday, July 1, 2010

85 years ago......

Please excuse that this post has nothing to do with quilting...........

85 years ago today, my mother was born. It will be 21 years this upcoming September since she died. While she did get to see my kids, she never got to see my kids grow up and marry....never got to see me become a grandmother....never got to become a great-grandmother herself. She never got to see me become a quilter. While she didn't quilt, she did sew clothing and she did a lot of crocheting and I think she'd have been happy to see my quilts. Undetected breast cancer (which then spread) robbed her of too many years and I guess I have always been angry about all the things she missed.....all the happy things I'd have liked to share with her but couldn't.....all the times I wanted to call her on the phone to ask her advice about something....and couldn't. A large part of my adult life has been spent without her and I have discovered that no matter how old a gal gets, she sometimes just wishes she could talk to her mom. I know some of you have lost your moms, too, and I'm sure you know how I'm feeling today. For me, it has been so many years that I can no longer recall the sound of her voice and sometimes can't even recall her face in my mind unless I look at a photo....which is sad. I don't have many photos of her but here are some of them...


Mom with me and my younger sister.....

And tucking us into bed......
And one Easter Sunday.....And on the day of my wedding.........

And with her grandkids on the Christmas that was to be her last......I guess I naively thought after 20+ years, I'd not still miss her, but I do. Happy Birthday to her in heaven!

44 comments:

Beeshebags said...

Happy Birthday to your mum in Heaven Pat. That's a lovely tribute to who, I can imagine, being a lovely lady. Hugs Naomi

Tangos Treasures said...

Awwww hugs to you! Happy Birthday to your Mom in Heaven.

Kaye said...

I know just how you feel, I miss mine today as much as when she left us 17 years ago.In the last picture is that you on the couch and who is standing next to you?

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your mother must have been a very special lady because she raised a wonderful daughter.

My grandmother passed away when I was 8 (about the age your kids look in the picture). As I get older it seems I miss her even more.

Gene Black said...

Thanks for sharing this Pat. I adore the picture of your Mom and the girls on the steps. That is a classic "old photo" pose.

It has been roughly the same amount of time since my sister passed away. The missing them never goes away. Sometimes in my niece (sister's daughter) I see my sister clearly. It amazes me that even though she grew up without her real mother, she acts just like her at times.
Peace be in your heart today.

andsewon said...

What a lovely lady your Mama was! You do have your sweet memories. I miss my dear Mama every day.
She was my #1 fan and I will still want o go tell her something. Yes no matter how old we get or how long we live we will miss those dear ones.
Big hugs today to you Pat.
Lola

luv2quilt2 said...

I think we never stop missing those we loved so much, and special occasions such as birthdays make that loss so much greater. My mother's 98th birthday is coming up, but the 4th of July was the day that we lost her. I'll say a little prayer for you today.

Jocelyn said...

Pat, I too have walked in your shoes. My own Mom has been gone for almost 31 years. She never got to see her grandchildren, which makes me sad, as she really wanted to be a grandmother. There are so many things about my life that are changed since the time she passed away. But I have to take peace in knowing that God does not make mistakes and one day we will all be reunited in eternity.

May your day be filled with sweet memories and good thoughts.

Jocelyn

PaTcHwOrK jEnN said...

I know you will see her someday in Heaven. Hugs! See sounds like she was a great mom and I am sure she is looking down from heaven and seeing your quilts.

Kathy said...

Pat, you have lots of company in the loss of your mother. My mother died in 1978, when I was in my thirties. I don't actively miss her every day, but there are still times when I think how much I would like to share something with her. She did get to see her grandchildren, but my kids were still children when she died. They never really got to know her, so they missed a wonderful warm grandmother. I think all we can do is try to be the best we can for our kids and grandkids.

Unknown said...

Oh Pat! I can't even imagine how you must feel. Today is my mom's b-day as well, she turned 56.

Nancy said...

Oh Pat...I still have my Mom and today, in your honor, I will call her and tell her "I Love You"..
wait I don't love YOU!! I love my Mom..I will tell my Mom that I love you..well not YOU, but I do LIKE you a lot....oh dear, this isn't going well...
Maybe I should just get dressed and go to redwork club...what do ya think?

hetty said...

A lovely tribute to your Mom, Pat. We may not miss loved ones all the time, but special days like birthdays always bring them close to our minds. I am sure she would be proud of your quilts!

Yvette said...

Wonderful tribute to your mother. {hugs}

Pat said...

Pat, I like to think that I share my thoughts with you. My mother had lung cancer, and never smoked. I used to travele every day to take care of her when I was attending college. I finally took a leave for awhile from college to take care of her around the clock. We brought her to our home, and set her up permanently here in one of our rooms. Her little noises, cries, the drugs. I bathed her little fragile body, and helped her as much as I could. It was so difficult to see my mother's wonderful body, turn so weak and so fragile. Her thanking me every time I would help her in some little way. It was so hard. I remember leaving her room one day to get something for her, and when I went back she was in a coma. I felt I never got to say "goodbye". No warning, no nothing. My wonderful, caring, and loving mother was gone.
Pat, we will always miss our mother, always, and all of the love ane caring they gave us when they were here. I keep a photo on the fireplace of the two of us together. I love it. God bless.

Sherry said...

I was never close with my mother she ledt us and chose not to see any of us. So my dream was to always have a mom that loved me. I always would dream that one day she would change and come back to us and be a mom. Well I lost that dream 7 years ago when I got the phone call from an Aunt saying she dieing so we wnet to see her but it was to late. Not just did I lose my mother I lost my dream and it would never come true. I was close to my dad and he dies 2 years ago on Father days. So I do know how you feel. I use to cry at LEAST once a day but now I do cry every day. I also find myself talking to him as he was here but I know hes in Heaven. My father would always say we will never forget the person and it does get easier every year and it does get better. Each and every year. But we will always have those bad days till the day we meet them again.
So I would like to Say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your MOM and know she is watching you from heaven and I know she is so very ptoud of you.

Needled Mom said...

When they have played such a vital role in our lives, I doubt that we will ever go without missing them. It is a shame that she went so young.

Anonymous said...

Oh Pat...touching post today...I'll be thinking of you today.

Kathy said...

Pat, your post brings tears to my eyes. I, too, miss my Mom. It doesn't matter how much time has passed, we still want to pick up that phone and call her to share a triumph, a problem, etc.

Hang on to your memories!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

What a lovely post, Pat. It is tinged with your sadness and I understand it well, as I miss my grandma and my dad soooooo much. I know that I am blessed that my mother is still doing well. Here's the thing I noticed......in your wedding picture......the first thing that caught my eye was that I saw the face of that sweet granddaughter of yours! Oh, my what a resemblance! I always feel that my dad and grandma still know what is going on in my life. I'm sure your mom is watching over you, too. :-)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your Mom knows you are missing her and wishing her a happy birthday Pat.

Winona said...

Ah Pat, that lovely tribute has me all misty eyed. I still have my mom. In fact, I spent the morning with her. I lost my dad 13 1/2 years ago. I still miss him. Lots of times I think of a question to ask him (He was a carpenter, specializing in cabinets.) then realize that I can't. The days are better now, but I will always miss him. Here's a (((HUG)))) for you today. I know your mama is smiling down from heaven. Winona

Greg said...

Very touching post today Pat. May you find comfort knowing your mom is up in heaven saying "she's MY daughter and she has a GO!!!" Your mom would be very proud of you.

Barb said...

What a sweet post... Happy Birthday to your mother...you have alot of wonderful memories...

Kim Walus said...

I can't tell you how much this brought tears to my eyes. You expressed every sentiment that I feel in my heart. It's been 18 years in September since my own mother died. My oldest was 8 when she died and it still effects her too. Of all the grandchildren at the time she has the most memories. She was the oldest grandchild at the time. My daughter, my sister, and I talk and reminisce about my mom often. I totally understand how you're feeling today. Sending lots of MOM hugs your way.

quiltingnana said...

what lovely tribute... I do understand anger....lost my mom in 1980

Joanna said...

Hi Pat:
Happy Birthday to your Mom, and good for you for keeping alive her memory. You never stop missing them.
I love your wedding picture. Your dress is a classic beauty.

julieQ said...

Happy Birthday, Pat's mom!! You would be so proud of your dear daughter...she is a gem!

I loved this post, Pat. My mom has been gone since I was 12, I guess that will be 34 years this year, and I can still imagine her lovely scent, and strong armed hugs. How fortunate we are to have had lovely mothers like we did...they are quilting up in heaven, I just know it!! Thank you for this post, and a big hug from me!

Rae Ann said...

I so identify with you Pat. My mom has been gone now for 6 years and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about her. I find myself still thinking that I should go call Mom and tell her all that is happening. I am sure that it will never get any easier but I am secure in the knowledge that I will see her and be with her again. I know that because... How could God give us someting so precious as a Mother and then take her away forever.
Hugs to you and sunshine on this day that is so hard! I am thinking of you!!!
BTW... I loved this post and all of the pictures you shared. You have a beautiful mother and family. You were a little cutie and still are!

Rachel said...

I loved seeing your photos! You were a beautiful bride. Enjoy the memories of your mom as you celebrate her life. xoxo

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Pat..that was a very touching post and thank you so much for sharing the story and the photos. I know how it feels after your mom is gone to want to call her and tell her what is happening! Hugs to you.

Julia said...

Happy Birthday to your mum in Heaven Pat....so sad, my Mum been gone 14 yrs and I miss her everyday.
Beautiful photos to treasue..
Julia ♥

nerines said...

Happy Birthday to your Mum in heaven. Although my Mum lives far away, I think of her every day and know I would miss not hearing her voice. xo

quiltmom anna said...

Pat,
I think we always miss the people we love no matter how much time has passed. My husband lost his brother in 1975 and pauses to remember their times together growing up on the date of his birth and death. He remembers him other times too but is more reflective on those marker days. It is the same for me when I remember one of my grandmothers- she has been gone nearly 7 years. I think when we think about the people we have loved then they still live in our hearts and are remembered- It is only when there is no one left to remember us then we are truly gone. My father's mother can only live on through his memories of her as she passed away quite young. As her grandchild - I wish that I had more than his memories but it has helped me build my connections with my father.
Thanks for sharing your lovely photos and thoughts of your mom.
It is a beautiful post by a loving daughter.
Regards,
Anna

jan said...

Thanks for sharing all this with us Pat, super piks of you and your Mum thrugh the years. It is always the same....

If you have a Mother
Treasure her with care
Because you will never miss her
Till you see her vacant chair.

Why do we take them for granted? I miss my mum even now. I don't think that feeling will ever go away.
Happy Heaven Birthday to your mum, xx from jan in UK

sewfunquilts said...

Thanks for sharing your post with all of us today, Pat. I also miss my Mom and today was the day my folks were married over 75 years ago. ((big HUGS)) to you today!

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Pat, I can share your feeling. How I miss both my Mom and Dad. I'm sending you a warm hug and I know your Mom has her arms wrapped around you.

Dawn said...

Well Pat, you have us all thinking about our dear moms now. My mom's birthday was the 24th of June and I miss her also. She died when I was 28, from complications from Parkinson's disease.And I feel we were robbed by this disease as she was in great physical condition. I know it may seem ridiculous to some that I think that she would have been 99 this year, but I do think about it. She did get to experience being a grandma, but didn't get to see them grow up. She gave me my love of sewing and my accountant's brain. We both loved math. Oh how I miss her.

Unknown said...

Oh pat, you know i feel your pain.....this is my story too....when I am sick, I still want my mom.....

Lindabee said...

I'll be thinking of you today, Pat. And a Happy Birthday to your Mom. Big Hugs.

SheilaC said...

Pat, thank you for sharing this beautiful post about your mom.

I love all the old pics :)

Happy Birthday to your mom!

SheilaC

Sara said...

Lovely post - and I don't care what they say - you will always miss your parents...

Love the wedding photo of you!

Myra said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Mom there Pat! We will always miss those we were close to... 8-)

limpingalong said...

Sorry for your sorrow but happy you have lovely memories. I know that I am so fortunate to still have my Mom.

Loved what Nancy had to say!