Tuesday, August 4, 2009

GREAT mail day and update on tree incident....

To update you on the tree incident......the land owner is cutting down TODAY 3 of the 6 potentially hazardous trees. Said they can't all be cut because then others might want trees cut, too....BUT...in my opinion, others haven't had one of his trees come down on their house, so that should make a difference. At least having 3 of the trees down is better than none, though, so for now, I'll have to settle for that. The insurance company said the contractor we wanted is on their Preferred Contractor list, which is great....and they have already come out to begin the assessment. If things go as planned and the weather is okay, work should start next Monday. thanks to all of you for the very supportive comments and emails. You made a scary, bad situation a lot better for me....really, you did. So...now onto my mail goodies.

Yesterday was a great mail day for me! I got 3 packages. Can you believe it??? I am SO lucky to have such great blogging friends. First of all, I got the August cottage for the year-long cottage swap. This one was made by Jean (click HERE for her blog). She told us she was taking photos of each of us in our beach attire and putting them in our cottage windows, which I thought was a super-wonderful idea. I look pretty darned good, don't I? Click photo to see me in greater detail!!! (And Kaye.....you can attest to the fact that this is JUST the way I look at the pool, right??? LOL)Next, is a package I got from Sandi. (Click HERE for her quilting blog.) She sent this great cookbook from the library in her hometown are of Iowa. I love those kinds of cookbooks with recipes by REAL PEOPLE instead of all kinds of fancy, gourmet stuff. Thanks, Sandi, for thinking of me.The third package was from "Upstate Lisa". (Click HERE for her blog.) She does terrific dying of fabrics and has been my "mentor" for when I get ready to leap into this....which will be soon, I hope. She surprised me by sending me this cutely wrapped piece of fabric she'd dyed along with notes from a workshop she attended on dying fabric. The picture following this one shows the piece of fabric opened up. Isn't it GORGEOUS? I just want to LOOK at it for awhile and will find it very hard (maybe even impossible) to cut this one up, ya know? Thanks, Lisa, for the fabric and for the "mentoring".

26 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Nice prizes!!

You look great in a swinsuit!!

LINDA BYLSMA said...

You are one hot mama, Pat!!
That hand dyed fabric looks like it will fit in with your batiks.

Kaye said...

what a lame excuse to not take all the trees, your neighbor may then want his taken down---duh--- maybe he is jealous the tree hit YOUR house.Such assinine reasoning. The blue dyed material is soooo nice, good thing its not purple or I'd be sneaking in to steal it. Nice picture of you, but I never saw the red hat!!!!!!!

andsewon said...

So happy things are better on the home front for you today Pat!
Very pretty piece of blue fabric!!!
Good luck with your new adventure into fab dying...;-)My Dh loves cook books too.

Betsy said...

Pat, I just love that fabric! off to check her blog.

luv2quilt2 said...

So glad to hear that things are looking better. I love the beautiful little cottagge block.

Crispy said...

Yep, I look just like that in my bathing attire too...we must be twins LOL.

Hooray on getting the "good" contractor!!

Crispy

Anonymous said...

Lovely hand-dyeing -- looking forward to your venture into that territory!

The Other Barb said...

I'm really liking those house blocks. This one in particular makes me smile. Maybe it's the pic of you in the window :)

Kim D. said...

Love those Wonky House blocks and the idea of a bathing beauty in the window is perfect. Love it!!

Needled Mom said...

I am so glad that things are working out well for the tree removal and for the construction repairs to begin.

Great gifts in the mail. Bloggers are wonderful.

Myra said...

Great mail goodies, and it is wonderful that the "tree" experience is looking up...

Danielle said...

What a great mail day indeed! Glad to hear progress is happening with the damage, wishing you speedy home repair!

Jennifer said...

Wow Pat! Just caught up with all the photos and posts. What ups and downs. I, too, would find it hard to cut into the fabric. Hand-dyeds (spelling?) are so wonderful! I LOVE the photos of the sunflowers and the Rudbeckia. Flowers are always able to make my day (speaking of which, I really need to get out and weed my front flower bed). :-) Good luck with the trees!! It IS amazing how exact the guys can be taking them down and away (we had some trees taken down this summer here and were impressed).

Barb said...

wow.....you look super, can she come and take my picture? Great mail day indeed.

Rachel said...

Wow! Great mail day! I'm still waiting for my mail. Yesterday was a holiday; surely we should get something today. Something good...?

Love that cottage block and you look just fabulous in your bathing suit - but why are you sitting in the window? Are you waiting for a 'visitor'? haha.

I don't blame you for not wanting to cut into that beautiful fabric. I'm sure you'll find something very special to make with it though.

Hope your days are getting happier; the good news about the trees should help a bit.

Take care ☺

hetty said...

Great mail day indeed! Love that August cottage. You look fantastic! Glad your tree problems will soon be remedied. I have some really nice hand-dyed fabric that I just can't seem to be able to cut into too.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Jean's lovely ladies in the windows sure has been fun!! Yes, you look wonderful!

Sara said...

My goodness - I look just like that in a swimsuit!

So glad to hear that the tree problems may be a thing of the past!

Love those kind of cookbooks - I always would look for that type when traveling - they have the best recipes!!!

I saw an demo of how to do dyed fabrics at the quilt show the other day...

limpingalong said...

You seem to be doing very well, Pat, and I am truly thankful. I've been praying for you and hope that things are back to normal soon.
Loved your pictures of the flowers. How like our Lord to send up beauty to lift our spirits when the world is getting us down!

Jean said...

Glad you like the cottage...it was hard to sneak around and get a good pic of everyone!
I want to try dyeing too. Do you ever go to Judi's blog? I will email you her url.

ooglebloops said...

Glad your tree situation is being handled!!!
Love all your goodies- that blue is beautiful - I'd hate to cut into it either - I might just applique right onto the whole piece!!! :>)

blushing rose said...

Oh, Pat! I was sick & missed your disastrous event! We hope you are all going to be fine & the house is repairable.

We had a tornado go thru here last Fri ... unusual for here. We lost a gigantic tree branch limb but TG it wasn't near the house. Last year we had a tree fall on the garage portion of the house. Scares the tar outta of you when you hear that THUD.

You had a really lovely filled mailbox to perk things up for you. What thoughtful gifts.

Hope things look up for you ... best to you all. TTFN ~Marydon

julieQ said...

I am so sorry for the damage to your home. I feel that all the trees need to come down for sure. I am sure glad you got great mail to cheer you up, and that no one was hurt in the tree fall.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I've lost a few pounds and am hoping by next summer to look as you do in that swimsuit. LOL! I wish! I love that blue dyed fabric from Lisa! I "gifted" my crazy quilting friends with copies of the Lehigh cookbook, too. You certainly had a good mail day!!

Dionne said...

Great mail day!! I love the fabric!
Cheers,
Dionne