Thursday, August 20, 2009

How we spent our 42nd anniversary......


So...you want to know how we spent our 42nd anniversary??? Well....we spent it at an afternoon movie with the grandkids........watching G-Force (in 3-D). It was cute.

I need to pick your brains here. The door to our laundry room faces an area where there used to be trees....now they are cut down and the sun pours into the window of that door. The door is metal and I have a magnetic curtain rod on it...and I made a curtain awhile back. It is obvious that I need to line that curtain now to try to cut back on the heat that is blasting through that window on sunny days. Do any of you have any ideas on that? I've never done a lined curtain and don't know if there is a certain type of fabric I need to use to provide some insulation. I know I've bought insulated curtains in the past but can't recall if it had a special fabric for the lining or not. This is just a small window......so I'm wondering if even doing a double layer of fabric would help? Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated. EDITED to add: Door is metal and hubby doesn't want to drill into it to hold a shade or blind....so I am stuck with just using the magenetic curtain rod. (Some suggested a shade and that's why I can't use it. MIGHT consider usind Insulbrite since I have a good amount of that here.)

27 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Good morning
Happy Anniversary!! Glad you had a good time at the movies!

I did one pair of curtains with a lining but just used a muslin. I would ask at Joannes?
Have a great day!

Betsy said...

can you use a shade?
glad you had a fun anniversary.

Gene Black said...

Pat, I found this http://www.ehow.com/how_4479972_make-insulated-curtains.html

She says you use a thermal lining fabric.

I do know that a shade behind the curtain will help too.

Gene Black said...

One brand she mentions is Roc-Lon. When you find it, it will say "blackout liner" That sounds strange, but you ARE trying to block out the radiant energy, which comes in as light.

Barb said...

Sorry Pat, no ideas....

I saw G force also, my husband and I would have enjoyed it more if we had some littles ones there to enjoy it with.

JustCindy said...

Walmart sells room darkening curtains in various colors for $10. We purchased black since they were going to be under the other curtain. It is a very thin material but they really keep the sunlight out.

Jocelyn said...

Wishing you and your dh a Happy Anniversary. What a special way to celebrate with your grands ;-)

blushing rose said...

Glad your Happy Anniversary was enjoyed. G Force was cute as a button.

TTFN ~ Marydon

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Insulated lining is what you need to buy. They sell it at home dec fabric stores. Don't know about JoAnns.. That would do it. But if you can't find that a heavy weight lining fabric would do almost the same thing. Lining fabbies come in weights. I would be happy to go to my local home dec store it is about 2 miles from my house if you can't find any locally.

Pat

Crispy said...

There are lots of good suggestions. I would stick with the products made for lining instead of muslin. It's amazing how fast the bright sun will eat fabric.

Crispy

The Other Barb said...

Happy belated Anniversary.

Sherry said...

Happy anniversity and your a great grandma to spend it with your grandkids with what they wanted to do. Your wonderful grandma and grandpa.
I have a den that use to be a porch and it has 9 windows and 1 french door that is a metel door so I get lots and lots of light. I lined my drapes with black out blind and used this a my lining it is a little heavery but with a good magenetic rod it works well. Lots of luck

Sherry said...

I ment to say black out linner I got it at our fabric store in Canada.

andsewon said...

Happy 42nd!!! you can look at those grands and say 'all because 2 people fell in love'....it did begin with you all after all!!;-)
Hancock's or Calico Corners have all the linings you may need ...not much cost for a small window. Joann's don't seem to have much anymore.
Maybe doing it up like a Small quit with W&N lined with backing would do fine too.
I have lined window treatments with perm press muslin and has been fine for years.
You can also fins magnetic rods or ends for shades as well.

ooglebloops said...

As Gene said, roc-lon is a good one. I've used insulated lining in the past. Any fabric store or where they have curtain or drapery fabric should carry it. Hopefully your curtain rod will be able to support it!!! Unless you want to get hubby to install a little canopy on the outside of your door! LOL

Kaye said...

boy you sure did get a lot of ideas!

quiltmom anna said...

Pat,
Good luck with your curtain- sounds like you have received lots of good solutions.
Happy 42 anniversary- it is always fun to go to the movies. I have very fond memories of going to the movies with my grandparents- they took me to see My Fair Lady and Mary Poppins which I still loved because of those treasured times with my grandparents.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Needled Mom said...

I have always used the sun block fabric lining on my curtains. I get it at JoAnns and it comes on a big roll. They will be more than happy to find it for you.

quiltingnana said...

We bought a film at Lowes that you can put on the inside of windows to keep out the heat and sun and used it on our windows in the sun porch...seems to help. How big is the window?

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

There's a product out there that is some kind of solar film you put on your windows and when it's hot, it helps keep a room cool and when it's cold, it helps warm up the room. I just read about it yesterday. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I read about it! I have tried to recall and it's just not there. Checking at Lowes, as QuiltingNana suggested would probably lead to what you need.

pecasatwo said...

You will definitely want to line the curtain not only to keep out the newly exposed sun and heat but also the sunlight will bleach and dry the curtain fabric causing it to disintegrate over a relatively quick period! You can get various weights of drapery lining including thernmal at JAs or Hancocks, or should be anywhere drapery fabrics are sold. If your curtain is gathered and you do not want to add fullness to it, place a square covering the window against the door and hold in place with strong magnets.

Danielle said...

Please keep us informed as to what you decide, and how it works. I have a few windows/doors that could use a little improved thermal covering!

Carol R. said...

With a metal door, the heat is likely transferred through it as well. A nice window tinting on the glass itself would help. As for the curtains, whatever you put up there will likely deteriorate quickly from all the sun. How about a mini-quilt?

Kim Walus said...

Congratulations on 42 years. That's so wonderful. I hope you had a great day and how fun to spend it with your grand kids.

Unknown said...

42 years....wow......haven't seen you at my blog lately, hope all is well

Anonymous said...

You did amazing during your 42nd. I like to do something like that to make it memorable.

RITA

Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

~Tonya said...

Happy belated anniversary, Pat! Sounds like you had a nice day at the moveis, with the grand kids.

Sorry I cannot help you out with the blasting sun in your window. I wish you luck thou.

Have a great weekend.
~Tonya