Here are a few photos....as always, click to enlarge. This is a neighbor looking at one of the other trees that could easily topple onto our house. (There was total woods behind us when we bought....and the trees were thick enough that they provided a good break from the wind...now the area is TOTALLY devoid of trees except for these few pines near the fence...in sort of a line next to the one that came down). The tree landed ON the house but was about a foot ABOVE our cute little storage shed...and it was very tricky to get the tree down without any of it falling ON the shed and, probably, ruining the shed. These tree removal guys were very good at what they do! (But I had to shell out a check for $3,100......will get $2,100 of it back from insurance, supposedly.) It still was a hardship to write out a check of that size.
The peak of the roof is nearly flattened. At least today was sunny and rain-free for the tree removal work. The worst of the damage is over the master bathroom.....skylight has damage and there are roof rafters (beams) that are destroyed....so major work will be needed there. Some of the damage is over the master bedroom...but not much of it. We don't know if there was any damage to the foundation area
This is an "aerial" view of the damage. Hubby was invited by the tree removal guy to go up in the bucket truck to get this angle for the insurance company. My stomach knotted up when I first saw the damage in daylight....it's hard to see your home look that way. It helped me to get online last night and read all your caring comments to me...had to laugh at Dawn's comment that even with this upsetting episode in my life, I didn't miss a blog post. I emailed her back and told her that blogging is what keeps me sane most days!!! Thanks to all of you...it did help me a lot to find so many messages last night.
26 comments:
I left a comment on yesterday's blog,but don't know if you go back and read them or not. Anyway, I'm sending sympathy for the mess and the expenses you are having to pay for something that was not at all your fault. There should be some way you can force the owner to take all the trees down.
I'm so glad you guys didn't get hurt! I'm praying the land owner will step up & take responsibilty!
Hugs Tango
Yikes! What a mess! It makes me kind of sick to look at it. You have a long road of repairs ahead of you.
OMGosh Pat, that just made me cringe when I saw the damage. I'll keep you in my thoughts while you are dealing with all the repairs. Keep us posted and vent all you need to...we will be here to hand out cyber hugs.
Crispy
Can you not go to your city and see what they can do. Can they not make the land owners take down those other trees so this does not happen again. I would be going to see someone there. I live in Canada so I don't know if our laws are different. If you do call and some one says no try another department.There must be something they can do. I sure hopr your insurance is beeter to you.Lots of luck your in my thoughts.
It's amazing how much damage can happen from one tree! Sorry you are having to go through this but glad that the tree crew got their part done and now roof repair can begin. I agree that blogging offers sanity!
Wow, that is one crazy pic of a tree just broken off like that. Maybe you could call the newspaper to run a piece about it.
Are they sure it wasn't more than straight line winds????? I'm so glad you weren't hurt.
Hugs!
Nancy
So glad both of you are okay. I'm sure it will be a pain and take a long time to get everything back to the way it was. Hang in there Pat.
Oh my Pat! What a grave inconvenience and frustration for you and your hubby at this time... What a pain!
I'm glad you posted pics of the damage foro us to see so we can help shoulder your anger and frustration. Continue to vent away and we'll listen and sympathize and send you lots of hugs along the way :^)
That is so crazy that your insurance has to pay. But it's good you have insurance for things like this. It had to be a little scary when the tree broke and hit your house. I know my Kenna would have worried the rest of her life about another tree falling and hitting the house. I'm so glad that you're all doing okay today. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
ok I am going to come up there and personally PUNCH the guy that owns the land behind your house..grrrrrr.
Pat
Pat, I read your first post late last night and came on today to tell you this happened to my daughter. Before I tell you the tale, I want to say I'm so glad you and your family are OK.
The neighbors tree hit and damaged my daughters roof after the hurricane. They had to hire tree trimmers (which cost an arm and a leg) and that's when they told them the law, you are responsible for any damage, NOT THE NEIGHBOR. We were all mad about it and shocked. Do you know it happened again with another tree. They ended up sending a certified letter to the neighbor, they were going to cut down all the limbs hanging on their side. If wind blows now, it should fall toward their house. The trees are also so big it messing with the fence.
I'm so sorry this has happened to you.
Hugs,
Bonnie
WOW!!!! That is totally amazing. I know this is devastating to you and I do hope it gets fixed up quickly for you.
Oh my Pat! Thank goodness no one was hurt. Hope this can all be resolved quickly.
Ohmigosh Pat! I'm so sorry that this happened. I'm glad no one was hurt, and I hope things are back to normal soon.
Bonnie (and all)....I know this is the case in a lot of places (that the damage is on the back of the homeowner even if it's a neighbor's tree) BUT....we are on RENTED ground......don't even own the lot on which our home sits....so the legislators feel this is a TOTALLY different situation. There are a lot of these land-lease communities in our area...and the landlords get BIG rents from all of us. (We pay over $6,000 a year to rent a SMALL lot on which our home sits.) Our particular landlord has become a multi-millionaire because of his tenants. Funny thing....if there is a tree that leans or looks diseased on "our" rented lot, we are not ALLOWED to trim it or remove it UNLESS the landlord says it's okay...because he says they are HIS trees and he only very RARELY gives permission for us to get them removed........but then (when one of HIS trees does damage), it is all of a sudden MY tree. And this particular tree had SO much damage from carpenter ants that it should not have been there any longer.....he should have removed it! The legislators feel you can't have it both ways...if you own a land-lease community and won't let people trim or remove diseased or dangerous trees, then YOU should be responsible for them as the owner of the land. The bill has passed the state House overwhelmingly and will come before the state Senate at some point soon and I hope it passes there, too.
Pat,
What a large mess caused by the tree- It sure is a complicated mess for you to have to wade through- So sorry to see you have to contend with so much damage both financial and otherwise. Just glad to know no one was injured and that you are safe. The rules and responsiblities are sure complicated. Hang in there.
Warmest regards,
Anna
That is such a shame, Pat. I am so glad that YOU were safe, however, I do hope that they can get the rest of the trees removed. That is scary!
Ouch! Not cool.
Now, 'scuze me, but I have to interject some of my title insurance background. If this is common ground, doesn't that make it the homeowners association's responsibility? The developer should no longer have any interest in this property. You and the other owners in the subdivision need to cut all those danger trees down and have a big weenie roast!!
Oh, Linda....don't I wish....but....
we are in a land-lease community.....many of them in this area. The developer still VERY MUCH owns the lots...all of them and we pay yearly rent...in excess of $6,000 right now......so ALL the property in here is still his. HE makes the rules....and WE have no say in it. None of us knew exactly the kind of person he is when we settled here....and it turns out he is NOT a very nice person at all. *sigh*
It does look horrible. I can totally understand your fears and concerns. So sorry you have to deal with all this honey. Take care.
OMgosh it looks horrible. Glad no one was hurt. Hope everything gets fixed and soon.
Thanks for stopping by my blog, leaving a comment and becoming a follower. I'll be praying.
Pat--what can I say that has not already been said? You can count your blessings that you were not hurt. Hang, girlfriend, and know that we are all praying for minimal expense. Look at this way--you are getting a redo on your master bath and possibly you bedroom. Start planning your new look and let know all about it. Love you--
I have been so out of contact with my computer the past two weeks that I missed your whole "tree incident." So sorry about that. What a shock! Hope things get fixed easily and without too much problem for you.
Post a Comment