Monday, August 10, 2009

See these photos?

See these photos below? They are blocks that a gal who plays bells with me in the church bell choir gave to me in hopes I could turn them into a quilt top for her. This was a family activity at some point around 1997. She said many didn't ever do their blocks and NONE of them are quilters. A couple of them have a bit of sewing knowledge...but not enough to do a quilt top. She said, in retrospect, they bit off more than they could chew. I told her I'd give it a whirl. Of course, the problem is...very few of the blocks are the same size....so I have to find what size I'll "choose" and get them all uniform. After that, I'll come up with some sashing, find a layout that works, and assemble them into rows and then join the rows. Luckily, she isn't fussy....told me to use my own judgment as they have been sitting in a bag in a closet, so she'll be happy for anything I can do with them. Look at them in their "raw" state and I hope to be back soon to show you how they look as a quilt top. There are several blocks that are very nicely done. (I hope you can click to enlarge the photos.)

There are 4 of these blocks.......the gal asked if I'd put them on all 4 corners, which I will do.
Hmmmm...the block on the left needs a bit of help.......especially the blue area at the top right corner! (I wonder what that is supposed to be???)Good paint stamping job on the block on the right.....Next are 2 of the blocks I really like. The Delaware one is good-quality and an interesting one, too. The one on the right may be hard to see, but it's a family tree done with hearts....and the names and birthdates are embroidered in each of the hearts and vines connect all the hearts together.Then we have two other blocks I think are pretty nice....another good paint-stamping one (looks like an old schoolhouse) and then an applique of a lighthouse. I"m not sure what the map in the background represents...but it must mean something to the family members.And then we have the last 2 of the 14 blocks given to me. Both of these have a lot of hand work on them. Sadly there is some serious staining on the block on the left. The one on the right is pretty fascinating when you see it up close. Again, I don't know the significance of the map....will have to ask this gal when I next speak to her. And there seems to be a band-aid across a heart, so there must be a story there....if I find out, I'll blog about it when I complete the top. So keep watching.....will show you the completed top before too much longer (I hope).

20 comments:

Gene Black said...

very interesting. I will be really interested to see what you can do with these.

Betsy said...

I too find this intereting but challenging too. Why did they make blocks if they did not quilt?

Crispy said...

What a good friend you are to take this project on. I'm sure you will find a wonderful way to complete it for her. You will have to get the stories behind the blocks....maybe get her to type something up that can be put in a pocket on the back of the quilt.

Crispy

LINDA BYLSMA said...

You've got a real challenge on your hands, but I'm sure you will make it work. It obviously means alot to your friend.

Anonymous said...

This is going to make a quilt that will probably bring tears to your friend's eyes when she sees it. I know it will be a lovely primative sort of quilt. About the stains, perhaps an Oxi wash product would help. I love the angel flying over the pine tree and hearts! Looking forward to the finished top. Have fun!

Unknown said...

those are very interesting blocks.....how cool that she asked you to do it. she knows you do great work...

Jean said...

Interesting blocks. I was curious about some of the things on the one I just did too, and thought up things on my own, as I dont' know all the family history. Maybe the bandaid is someone killed overseas in a war? Very interesting blocks and I will be watching to see what you do with them.

Quilter Kathy said...

The lighthouse blocks drawing shows the great lakes - Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, and Lake Ontario. I think the last photo with the bandaid on the heart shows the joining of Lake Ontario and Lake Erie right where Niagara Falls would be.
What an interesting collection of blocks!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting collection of blocks. I've been reading about using antique blocks and one of the points they make is to use them without changing them to preseve the charm if the block - that might be a good point here. You might try different size sashings to ge get them to a common size - not try to keep them the same - and thay way you would not have to change any of the blocks. Can't wait to see what you come up with - good luck! You are truly a good friend to take on this project.
Jackie H (sorry to post as anonymous - google passwork just not working this morning!)

Needled Mom said...

Yes...what IS that blue thing on the first block? VERY interesting. Maybe it was meant to be a globe considering the theme of the other blocks.

Have fun. I know you will come up with something fabulous.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

What a fun bunch of blocks and how nice of you to pull it all together for your fellow bell choir member. I've been involved in several group projects and found that a good way to keep the main blocks is to sash each block with a "frame" piece of fabric and then trim all the blocks to the same size after that. Then I put sashing between each block and row and you couldn't tell sometimes that the original blocks weren't all just quite the same size. Hope that makes sense!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

P.S. Could the block with the band-aid be a reference to the group Band-aid and the relief effort for Ethiopia from a few years ago? It kind of looks like a globe with two continents and then the heart with the band-aid. Just a thought. :-)

Karen said...

The blocks may not all be the same size, but some of those blocks makers were pretty creative with what they came up with.

Rachel said...

Wow, that's a big job! Some of those blocks have stitching right up to the edges of the fabric. It will be like putting together a puzzle! Good luck - can't wait to see the finished result.

Kim Walus said...

Yes, I'd like to know what the big blue blob is and what it signifies.

I'm thinking you'll have to take the embroidered heart block or the other applique blocks and see which one is biggest and then add fabric borders to each of the smaller blocks to make them the same size. You wouldn't want to cut off any of the embroidery or applique.

What a big job. I hope it doesn't take you too much of your sewing time. I look forward to seeing it when you're done with it.

Barb said...

You have your work cut out for you. I loved the light house one.

Jocelyn said...

whoa, you are a good friend, indeed. My niece asked me to finish a quilt for her once but it was Jacob's ladder, and I could see the pattern in the pieces she gave me. It was started by her hubby's aunt who later was unable to finish it due to arthritis in her hands. I hope it turns out well for you and for your friend.

Sara said...

Hmmm...this is quite the challenge - but, a good one...

some of the blocks are very beautiful...I think you will come up with a wonderful quilt top for them...

quiltmom anna said...

This is quite a project Pat- One thing you could try is to frame each block and then have a coordinating block that went between each of the blocks so that they seemed like they are connected together. Another thing you could do is if there is a theme among the blocks but perhaps you could use a larger block and build the smaller ones around the larger one. Just some things that came to my mind as I looked at your blocks.
Have fun with it- It is an interesting challenge..
Warmest regards,
Anna

Pat's Place said...

I can hardly wait to see the finished product!