I waited for a break in the rain and did get to see two of the gardens. It was still raining, but it was not as torrential and I was able to manage with an umbrella. Here are photos from each of those gardens. (Sorry I didn't get more....but it was hard to juggle purse, camera, and umbrella and not get blurry photos. Hopefully, they will all enlarge for you by clicking on them.)
This house is right on the Delaware bay.....here is part of its garden
This next house had a lot more bricks and wood...and was very rustic and nice. It was also raining a bit harder when I was there......so this is about the best photo I got of their place.
I was assigned to a place where the homeowner is an artist and had a separate studio building. When I was sitting in my car in the downpour, I phoned her to ask if I was going to have any shelter....it was at THAT point she told me about the studio and said I could sit inside there. It was very cozy and the watercolor artist assigned to that garden worked on the porch and I worked inside. It was one of very few dry places in town that day. Here is the inside of that studio where I got to sit and quilt.
This is another view of the inside......as I wanted to get a photo of the resident cat....Moose.....part Maine Coon cat. Can you see him on the stairs? Some of you might recognize my watermelon quilted wall-hanging on the piano there.
This is the watercolor artist who was with me at this particular garden. Her name is Lesley McCaskill.
Next is a photo of part of the garden and the main house as taken from the porch of the studio where I was doing the quilting. This particular house was built in the 1850's and was lived in for awhile by the lighthouse keeper's wife (as she didn't like living in the lighthouse during the bad winter storms). It is a charming place...pictures don't do the garden justice at all and with the weather I couldn't get very good angles. It was a very restful place with lots of birds and water features (aside from the rain). When you were there, you forgot you were in the middle of town and just a half block from the firehouse and the hospital. These homeowners are fortunate enough to also own a cottage right on the beach there and a house in Provencal, France. The last photo will show the people with umbrellas being served wine by the home owners. Guess that made them all forget about the rain! LOL The homeowners asked me to join them and the artist for lunch, but I had to scoot. I already stayed an extra "shift" as the quilter scheduled to show up after me never arrived....not sure why. If she'd phoned (like I did), she'd have found out we were inside and the rain wasn't a problem for us in this lovely garden. 
18 comments:
Gosh a person would really have to love gardening to be taking the tour in that rain....kinda like quilters and trying to get to a quilt show LOL. It's wonderful that the family opened their home to you so you could stay dry.
Crispy
Boy, you lucked out!!! I would kill for a studio like that - and a house near the beach - and the cat :>)!!!!
Glad you got to participate, despite the lousy weather!!!
Such pretty photos, but sorry for the rain. At least you had a good spot!
~Karen~
That studio is NICE. Much nicer than the "room" I have for my art AND sewing studio. If I had one room for EACH, I would be much more productive. Ha ha. Oh, yeah, I would also still need more hours to do each.
I am glad you had a nice dry place to be a part of the tour.
Well, you lucked out didn't you? Wonder how many wet quilters there were??
I'm not a gardener so it's hard for me to imagine standing in the rain looking at bushes and flowers....LOL
I'm with Gene, would love to have a studio like that for a creative retreat.
What a fun day! How typical for garden tours. That is what happened to me last year!
Oh No! Torrential Rains! Couldn't the rain take a day off for cryin' out loud! Here's to hoping next year's garden tour will be better....
Too bad about all that rain. I bet it really dampened the mood (yeah, pun intended...)
But what a great idea to combine the gardens with artists. I think something like that would go over really well in my neighbourhood.
(I am finding myself very envious of that family with the house in France AND the cottage at the beach AND the beautiful house in town. What do people do for a living to be able to afford all that?)
I think you enjoyed the garden tour and your stint as "resident quilter" despite the rain. Still, a sunny day is nicer for visiting gardens.
I like your version of the star and red ribbons very much. It's not as busy as Sherry's. Hard to believe both of you used the same pattern.
What a wonderful garden to get "stuck in the rain at"! You did luck out...and I love the fact that they combined quilters, artists, and gardens! That studio made me green with envy!!!
What a down pour...loved that one gardent that was rustic. Did you get any quiltling done? Or was that for show?
Hi, Pat,
I'd love to have some rain -- and sitting and sewing while it rains sounds great to me! It is hot and dry in Texas!!
Sitting on the porch listening to the rain is one of my favorite things to do. We've had a lot of rain where we live and I've enjoyed just sitting at my sewing machine with the window open and listening to the rain and the birds singing. Just a piece of Heaven. I do LOVE that Blue house, absolutely gorgeous!
What dedicated people....love the gardens, studio and house....your view out the window looks like mine a few hours ago..wish I was there....
What a bummer, all that rain we had, it must have happened in Lewes and At Graduation. I hope next year I have no out of town happenings and will be here for the garden tour
I have to admit I've loved the raining here in Utah. I know it has been hard for some people but I've loved every drop. The gardens are so sweet. Fun to enjoy them like this.
Although a wet one, it sounds like you had a fine time there... Lovely gardens Pat... to envy for sure... 8-)
Post a Comment