Yes....I was on vacation for over 3 weeks, but I want you to know I didn't totally forsake quilting!!! I did manage to get to a quilt shop I'd heard about....Rainbow's End in the lovely town of Dunedin, Florida......huge inventory but (as with many large quilt shops) it was a bit overwhelming. (Funny thing...on way out from shop, I kept setting off the detector device.....I offered to empty out my entire purse but the gal just kept taking my wallet and holding it and making me go back through....this went on for about 5 minutes and the check-out line was building up, so she finally just told me to leave.....very odd as, with the exception of the things I'd paid for and she checked out for me, I had the same things on me when leaving as when entering...and I didn't set the device off when I walked through it entering the shop. The whole incident was a bit annoying to me AND to those waiting in line behind me!!! The first photo here shows part of one wall of the shop and the second photo shows some fabrics and quilting related supplies I bought on the trip....including a stitch-in-the-ditch foot for my machine. I then went to a couple of quilt shops with Kathy (my quilting partner-in-crime)...although I can't recall the names of those shops...one was in Englewood and about to go out of business so not much left there and the other was a tiny shop in North Port. I also went with Kathy one afternoon to her little sewing/knitting group and did a bit more work there on my English paper piecing circles (which are shown in the last photo here). That project is moving along slowly, but it is very portable and I'll try to push myself to work more on it again soon. I see a notice today that Blogger is getting a "NEW" look in April and they are encouraging people to update now. Great...just what I do not need...is Blogger changing things yet again!!! (I'll cross my fingers this update works better for me than the previous one!)
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Lest you think I am a slug.....
Yes....I was on vacation for over 3 weeks, but I want you to know I didn't totally forsake quilting!!! I did manage to get to a quilt shop I'd heard about....Rainbow's End in the lovely town of Dunedin, Florida......huge inventory but (as with many large quilt shops) it was a bit overwhelming. (Funny thing...on way out from shop, I kept setting off the detector device.....I offered to empty out my entire purse but the gal just kept taking my wallet and holding it and making me go back through....this went on for about 5 minutes and the check-out line was building up, so she finally just told me to leave.....very odd as, with the exception of the things I'd paid for and she checked out for me, I had the same things on me when leaving as when entering...and I didn't set the device off when I walked through it entering the shop. The whole incident was a bit annoying to me AND to those waiting in line behind me!!! The first photo here shows part of one wall of the shop and the second photo shows some fabrics and quilting related supplies I bought on the trip....including a stitch-in-the-ditch foot for my machine. I then went to a couple of quilt shops with Kathy (my quilting partner-in-crime)...although I can't recall the names of those shops...one was in Englewood and about to go out of business so not much left there and the other was a tiny shop in North Port. I also went with Kathy one afternoon to her little sewing/knitting group and did a bit more work there on my English paper piecing circles (which are shown in the last photo here). That project is moving along slowly, but it is very portable and I'll try to push myself to work more on it again soon. I see a notice today that Blogger is getting a "NEW" look in April and they are encouraging people to update now. Great...just what I do not need...is Blogger changing things yet again!!! (I'll cross my fingers this update works better for me than the previous one!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


18 comments:
You will LOVE that ditch quilting foot!
I set off the sensors at Kohl's once. it was my vera bradley wallet. They had a small paper embedded sensor hidden in the change purse part. Embarrassing.
That alarm must have been extremely frustrating.
I like the circles.
I am with you on changing Blogger AGAIN. Haven't we had enough?
I am ohhhing and ahhing over all that pretty fabric. As for the alarm.. that sounds very strange. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were on Candid Camera!!
So sorry that you had a bad experience at RE. I love that shop. So much eye candy. They do have sensors on their fat quarters, and lots of other things. Because their shop is so big, they unfortunately have a lot of theft. I've done a couple of posts about Rainbow's End. They always have so many beautiful samples for inspiration.
Looks like a great shop ( alarms not included).
Love your English paper piecing circles, I think I have a kit for those somewhere. But right now I am overwhelmed. :)
Nice shop, Pat, but I know what you mean about big ones being overwhelming. Not to mention Blogger quite often being annoying and overwhelming. We shall all persist!
I did not know that Janome had a stitch-in-the-ditch foot! I will have to check that out. Your purchases all look so happy to have found a home with you. LOL!!! :)
Wow nice shops!! Hope you love the stitch in ditch foot!!
I am always afraid i will set those alarms off somehow. I have had my cell phone set on off going INTO a store. I almost just turned around and left. I was afraid it would go off again as I was leaving.
Rainbow's End -- I was there too last summer !!!LOVED it !!! But, yes, lots to look at .... and my sweet son said "go ahead Mom .... I'll take a walk on the beach while you go in there ... you won't be more than a half hour right?" ...... silly boy ......
I always love to explore new shops. Looks like you had a wonderful trip :)
Sounds like a great shop except for the alarm thing. I hate those. Always afraid they will go off when I go through them. They never do, but it is still stressful. Love your English pieced circles.
I always set those alarms off as well, and it's usually at the court house, my second home as of lately. Your english pieced circles look great.
I am still working off the "old" system so heaven only knows if I will cope with a newer newere blogger!
I'm sorry but I got a laugh out of the detector thingy. Brought back memories of a grocery store I used to shop at, I set the detector off when I walked in the door but never when I walked out. Very embarrassing.
I frequent that quilt shop a few times a year Pat. Like you said, very overwhelming in stock and it is hard to focus on just a few things. Sometimes I leave empty handed because it is too much to handle. They have had several problems with theft since it is not in the best part of town.
I love your fabric:) I can't go into a store unless I come out with fabric. I just started a blog come on over and join me www.sewcraftykathy.blogspot.com
Been to Rainbow's End many a time. Shop is large and plentiful. I find the employees a bit cold though. As for the alarm, I've set it off more times than I can remember. I believe it has to do with the tags on the fabric.
Glad you had a good time.
Post a Comment