Friday, October 23, 2009
UPDATE on my little granddaughter.....
My daughter just called...they were just leaving the ER. She said it was packed with kids with the same symptoms. Jessi was seen first. They did a chest x-ray since she had asthma (that she might be starting to outgrow...but that puts her "at risk"). For some reason, they are not saying any of those kids definitely have flu, although they feel it's likely. They said Jessi's lungs look fine (thank goodness) but they feel she probably has an upper respiratory infection in addition to a "touch" of the flu. I'm not so sure they are correct. BUT...they did keep her long enough that her temp came down to 101 and she was acting like herself again....at the 105 temp, she wasn't acting right at all. She didn't need any IV fluids. They prescribed an antibiotic because they do feel it's mostly an upper respiratory problem (probably because she had no other flu symptoms than the fever and a very bad cough). My daughter would have preferred they admit her overnight to make sure the fever was really starting to go away and to get a couple of doses of the antibiotic into her to see if that does help. BUT......they will have to monitor her at home. The doctor said if it is upper respiratory, she will be fine by the end of the weekend once the antibiotics get into her system. This is a child who doesn't generally run a temperature, so I hope they are right on this one. I appreciate the many kind comments and prayera and would ask you to please keep her in your prayers that the doctors are right and she's not been misdiagnosed. I've seen on the news too many kids who were sent HOME from the ER in recent weeks and really should have been admitted and treated.....and had serious consequences because of that misdiagnosis. I don't want that to happen to Jessi.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
25 comments:
How scary! She'll be in my prayers, Pat. Thanks for the update!
Great news! :)
Still scary..but once the anibiotics kick in, and you see an improvment, Jessi should bounce back to her old self..I understand your worry Pat.
Jessi is in my thoughts..
Julia ♥
good that the fever is down. it will be a hard night for your daughter. I think most of us moms out there have been there. My heart goes out to your daughter & prayers for Jesse. Hoping & praying that tomorrow brings a better day for them.
My daughter is an ER nurse & is seeing a lot of these same systems in children. Most are being sent home like your granddaughter.
I am continuing to pray for her - and her mom, (and her grandmom too!)
I hope they are right and she starts improving.
That is very scarey....I do hope her fever continues to go down and that she will be well soon. I know what a worry it is for you.
I was told today that the hospital here is full of people, having to operate and send people home.....
glad to hear that she seems to be better...keep me posted
That is really scary, I hope all goes well. There is a childrens halloween coloring contest that might cheer her up.. the winner gets a free backpack http://tr.im/CI9W good luck with this I will pray for her.
Continued prayers goin' up Pat. Kids are so scary because they can spike some pretty dang high temps. I hate it when they say someone has a "touch" of flu...sheesh.
Crispy
Pat, I am praying for your granddaughter and that she will have a speeding recovery.
My 9-year old granddaughter had the flu -- H1N1 -- a few weeks ago. They didn't admit her to the hospital and she was kept home out of school for over a week. Her two brothers also got the flu as well. They are all fine now and back at school. I hope your granddaughter is up and around soon. I know it scares you as it did me too! I'm praying in Texas!
I am glad to read the update, Pat. It does sound as though they are covering all bases. There seem to be so many viral infections here with the high fevers and the antibiotics will not touch those. Prayers will continue for Jessi.
I'm glad her temp came down some. I will continue to pray for her.
Just read all of your today's posts in one go. Hope Jessi's feeling better soon and that it's not anything more than a 'touch' of the flue. Keep us updated.
Hugs,
Rachel
Pat, so sorry to hear your granddaughter is ill. Glad she is getting better. I'll keep her in prayer. I can imagine how scary this is.
Healing prayers for Jessi. The different kinds of flu is really bad here in IN also. My 22 yo dd is very sick.
you know I am thinking of sweet little Jessi...and between us all thinking good thoughts and the anti-biotics...things should go well
Thanks for the update Pat.
I have had several students out and it runs its course. They too have had high fevers and all seem fine upon their return
Glad Jessi's fever came down Pat! I hope that the fever stays low, and that the antibiotics kick in quickly to rid what is ailing her... and pray the Doc is correct about what the problem is...
God bless...
Sorry to hear about your grand daughter. I hope the antibiotics work and that she is feeling better soon.
I hope the little one is better soon. we had some similar scares over this past Winter, its not much fun.
Thank goodness Jessi is ok. I'm sure she will be by moms side until she is fever free. Continued prayers for little Jessi.
Pat
Glad to hear her fever is down. Will keep all y'all in my Prayers!
Hope you were able to get some rest.
Hugs Tango
My guys all have asthma. Reading this reminded me of one of the times in particular when my youngest wasn't quite 5 years old yet. I kept taking him to the doctor with high fevers, achy legs etc. They would just send me home...long story shortened...we ended up in the ER where they wisked him away ever so quickly to a hospital bed for several days. It was a nasty viral bug that had his blood cell count out of whack and his asthma full on BAD. Anyway, the ER asked for the name of the doc who kept sending us home.
So glad that she was seen so quickly. Hopefully she is doing better today.
I hope that she gets better. My daughter is sick with the flu right now. She has 3 children that have been all around her. I know what you mean about being worried. I will be praying for your granddaugher and if you don't mind pray for my daughter. She is so sick.
Post a Comment