Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ta.....Dah.......

Yay.....I'm happy because the Posies 'Round the Square block is done (unless I do decide to embroider something in the middle). It's not perfect, but......I once had a teacher in a quilt class say that "Done is better than perfect"...and I think she was right! So....this is how it looks.......AND...hold onto your seats, but I actually cut out and prepped all the pieces for another applique block in the book...one called Lancaster Rose. I've not yet sewn the pieces in place but I laid them in place to take a picture to show you. I'm sure you might be surprised about this considering how mightily I struggled with the applique block above. BUT...for this one, I decided to use the template plastic that is heatproof to see if I could get a good result without driving myself bonkers! I cut my pieces bigger than the plastic template for each piece.....did a hand stitch around the edge of each fabric piece and then pulled the thread to draw the piece up snugly around the template plastic, gave it a good press with the iron and removed the plastic template. It worked and I was very pleased with my success. When I sew the pieces to the background, I will be able to get the points just right and not be frustrated by it as I was with the leaves in the block shown above. Anyway........here is the picture of the new block with the pieces just laid in place. I'm proud that I stuck with it!!! I doubt that I'll ever be a real applique lover, but...at least I can do passable work. I have a big grin on my face now!

21 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

Glad to hear you conquered it. The blocks both look good.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm glad you found a method that works better for you and that you didn't give up! I'm grinning with you!

JustCindy said...

There are so many different methods of applique' there is surely one for you.

Crispy said...

I agree with JustCindy, there are so many methods that you will eventually find one that speaks your language. Both blocks are wonderful Pat.

Crispy

Gene Black said...

Just the way the 2nd block looks laid out and ready to sew is pretty amazing. It looks like you may have found your method for applique.

Kaye said...

way to go Pat, I knew you would conquer it. Great Job!

Jean said...

The blocks are so pretty...I am glad that the templates are working for you, as that is the hard part, getting those turnovers to look right.

Tangos Treasures said...

WOW!! You go girl!!!

quiltingnana said...

I'm glad you didn't give up...I've found that the more I do, the better I feel about it!

Anonymous said...

The heat-resistant plastic template and drawstring method is also the only way I found that I could do applique for odd-shaped pieces. So glad it worked well for you too!

The Other Barb said...

great work! Glad you decied to do another block. Both are very nice.

Anonymous said...

You rock! Look at you go now!! Practicing is making perfect right?!

Amy R said...

Perseverance has paid off! Yeah for you! And, it will really help that you are getting to another block right away. Practice, practice, practice! Thanks for inspiring us all during your journey ~

Myra said...

Woohoo you finished the Posies!!! Good for you!!! Who cares if its perfect or not is right! It's done!!! 8-)

The Lancaster Rose looks like you are a good half way there already! I am sure you will like the results you have trying that method! Excellent! 8-)

Happy stitchings!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

I can see why you would have a big grin, Pat. The posies block turned out great and the rose block will be lovely when it's finished. The posey block might lend itself to having the year you started the quilt embroidered there and then find another block where you could embroider the year the you finish the quilt.

hetty said...

Great work Pat! You go girl! Whatever works, works. So glad you didn't give up.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Wow, your blocks are looking amazing! ;)

Carol Anne Strange said...

Well done, Pat! You're an inspiration. Much love to you and yours. x

Unknown said...

It looks great and the rose will be even better...it is a practice thing I think...My saying is it is an Amish quilt...they sew so perfectly that they throw in a few mistakes so people know it is handmade...heehee...it looks beautiful......

Barb said...

Looks wonderful Pat....great job!!!

Scrappy quilter said...

The blocks look wonderful.