Friday, October 16, 2009

Another SBS block.....


Here's another block from my Sylvia's Bridal Sampler book......this one is called Bright Hopes and it's a simple, plain block. I have another block in progress that is giving me a problem.though. It's one with applique...not even a particularly hard applique, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the leaves. I am not good at applique and with as discouraged as I'm getting on this first block with applique I've attempted from the SBS book, I am thinking I might not do ANY applique blocks from the book. I will struggle to finish this current block and then make a decision about that. I can handle paper-piecing and even the Y seam blocks....but the applique might be my "undoing" with this particular quilt. I know they say practice makes perfect but I don't want to take time to "study" applique while in the middle of making the blocks in this book. I know some of you LOVE applique and do it well....wish I could say the same for myself.....but I can't! LOL

18 comments:

Kaye said...

come on Teach, you can do it, I know you can!!

Betsy said...

can you fuse the leaf and then do a blanket stitch?

Gene Black said...

I am thinking if I ever do applique, and I keep telling myself I have to at least TRY, I will do fuse and sew.

I like that simple block. Of course you know I would have used a lot of loud colors in it.

JustCindy said...

Do machine applique'. Easy peasy. You can do it, Pat.

Anonymous said...

I love the fabrics in this easy block -- very pretty! I enjoy hand applique as long as the edges are not pointy or take many turns. If they are only curved or fairly straight, I'm OK. I always have trouble with pointed leaves, so I just sort of "round" them off and they look fine. If your leaves are really making you crazy, perhaps you can modify those edges to make them less pointy, just a thought that works for me.

quiltingnana said...

I've been struggling with applique too...have you tried basting the edges under before doing the applique to get your leaf points?....I've tried that technique before.

luv2quilt2 said...

I'm also struggling with applique, but I'm trying to learn. Good luck!

Greg said...

I've tackled raw edge appliqué with surprising results! You should try it, if I can do it I know you can!!

The Other Barb said...

applique isn't my thing! I feel your pain :( good luck.
p.s. I like this simple block

andsewon said...

Very pretty and I like this piecing.
I do machine applique. As some have said I would make it work for you...if changing the shape a bit no harm done... it is YOUR quilt after all.
Also I think just doing the blocks you want to do is fine as well!
Just have fun... as some one once told me... ;-)
Hugs,
Lola

Nanette Merrill said...

You can do it I know you can Pat. I learn the most from taking a class. My applique gets better with each class I take and I keep taking them when I can. I learned the most from Lori Holt's class with me. If you go to YouTube they have little demos in applique. I learn new tips whenever I watch someone or something like that. Don't give up!

Crispy said...

Love the fabrics in this block Pat, really pretty!! Hey, if you don't want to do the applique, don't, it's your quilt. I've been drafting all the blocks from the book into EQ and there are several that I probably won't do and will find a different block instead.

Crispy

Barb said...

I a with Fiesta on this one...do the blanket stitch....

Myra said...

Go ahead an fuse them, and either machine applique or blanket stitch by hand and embroidery floss...
Good luck! 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Sara said...

I use non-fusible interfacing to do applique...I draw the item on the interfacing - then put the right side of the fabric to the interfacing - sew on the lines - turn it to the right side - and then do a little whip stitch to hold the applique piece in place. Makes it a lot easier...no raw edges to worry about tucking under...

Much easier than needle turn...

Unknown said...

my machine don't have blanket stitch, but I'm getting a new machine for christmas

Jackie's Stitches said...

Pat, I know you can do it - stick with it! You're really coming along on your Sylvia's Bridal Sampler!

hetty said...

Hand applique can be very frustrating! But would you have let your students just give up without trying? Do machine applique or stick them on with iron-on 'stuff', like Wonder Under or Steam-a-Seam. Then do a blanket stitch around the outside to give it a hand finished look.