Monday, December 19, 2011

Ahhhh......smooth hands and feet!!!

There was a post about homemade hand cream recently by online friend and quilting blogger (Judy Laquidara.....check out her blog by clicking on her name...she has another book coming out....with LOTS of great borders!!!!)  She said to get 16 ozs. of baby lotion, 8 ozs. of vitamin E cream, and 8 ozs. of vaseline....and it could be store brands (which cost about $1 for each of them).  You then mix it all up together and get a very nice product.  The picture here shows what I bought.  I got baby lotion with cocoa and shea butter and I think it made mine a tiny bit greasy, but......after a few minutes, that absorbed into my skin and it feels WONDERFUL!  (Next time, I'll get regular baby lotion.)  For now, I just need a teensy-tiny bit and it goes a long way.  For $3.50, I got solidly-packed nice-sized Rubbermaid container of cream that will last me awhile.  I think I will start collecting fun jars and then make some for gifts!  Thanks, Judy....for the great idea and for the nice soft, skin I have after using this!   (Be sure to see the second photo below, too.)
My previous post showed my daughter's and granddaughter's reactions to the quilts I made them for Christmas.  I knew I had a photo of my granddaughter sleeping that night with hers but was unable to find it.  I found it now and it is below.  She had to sleep on the pullout sofa in the living room that night as "her" room here was in use by someone else.  She wasn't too crazy about that, but we told her we'd leave the tree lights on for the tree in that room while she went to sleep, so she took her new teddy bear and her new quilt and went very happily to bed looking at the lights on that tree.  I snapped this photo a short time later when she was fast asleep and all wrapped up in her "Snack Attack" quilt!!!   (She told me last night on the phone that the quilt is keeping her very cozy...which melted my heart, of course!)

16 comments:

Delisa said...

Hi Pat, thanks for the homemade lotion recipe! It sounds very gentle on the skin. I am always looking for something new because my skin is sensitive. I am going to give it a try and get the ingredients next time I go to the store Your granddaughter looks like a little angel all wrapped up in her new quilt! Have a great day! Delisa :)

Winona said...

Ah Pat, such a cute picture of your little granddaughter. I made some of that lotion several years ago. It took forever to use it up. LOL I may have to make another batch. The cold winter weather is harsh on my hands, elbows, knees, and heals.

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Pat..the photo of Jessi sleeping is sooooo precious....what a nice memory for you!!! AND the homemade hand cream sounds great!

Unknown said...

Don't the wee ones just melt your heart.
Merry Christmas
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

Jean(ie) said...

Love the cuddly sleepygirl quilt...

Denise :) said...

Awww, what a darling capture of your precious little girl in her quilt! Very sweet! I'll have to give the hand lotion a try -- especially now that I can wash and slather up my right foot. I always buy the DG baby lotion with shea and cocoa butter -- it *smells* so good!! :)

Jackie's Stitches said...

I had seen Judy's recipe for hand cream and had thought that I need to make it someday. It would be a great gift in a pretty bottle tied with a bit of twine or a ribbon.

Love the picture of your granddaughter!

Gene Black said...

Hi Pat, a friend and his wife made this a few years ago and gave me a jar of it. I got the recipe and made a batch for myself. It lasts a LONG time.

Jessi looks so sweet sleeping bundled in her quilt.

Barb said...

Pat, I'd like to try this skin cream, but have been looking for Vitamin E by itself for a long time. All I could find was Vitamin E oil, where did you get these things?
That adorable photo of your granddaughter 'snug as a bug in a run' just needs little visions of sugarplums dancing atop her head. It looks like a Christmas card!

Needled Mom said...

The little one under a snuggly quilt says it all!! She is going to treasure it for years.

The lotion sounds like a great idea. Thank you.

hetty said...

What a lovely little, snuggly bundle under that Snack Attack quilt. My heart is melting too.

Carol Anne Strange said...

It's lovely to be back in blog land, Pat, and to catch up on your posts! Sending good wishes your way on this winter solstice day, and all the best for the year ahead. xx

Val said...

Your blog is the first one I have visited in weeks!!! I really miss you all. I have been doing a little baking for Christmas but not crocheting until today. I wanted to give my hands a rest. I am just going to do a little at a time. Love that hand lotion and I will try that. And that quilt is gorgeous!!! I know that she loves it. Merry Christmas!!!

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Hope you have a Happy and Healthy New Year too, Pat! Hugs, Mary

Rhonda said...

Pat, I'm going to run out tomorrow and buy those products to whip up some fast gifts. Thanks for sharing and the link to Judy.
Take care.

Delisa said...

Hi Pat! Thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog today, your kind words really cheered me up! You mentioned that you couldn't take the medicines for osteoporosis because of some bad side effects. The same thing happened to me too. After trying it for a couple of month I got a very bad stomach ulcer and had to stop. The doctor felt though that it was so severe in my spine and getting worse in my hips that we had to try something else quick. So I go in once a year now for a Reclast Infusion or IV. It only takes 20 minutes and you are done for the year. But the bad side effects from the IV at least for me, are terrible bone pain and flu like symptoms for three days afterwards. The last two years my numbers have improved quite a bit on the bone density test so we are pleased so far. I will soon have to go off of it two years and then back on again for three. It might be something you could ask about if your doctor hasn't already mentioned it. Sometimes if you don't have an insurance that will cover it, the doctors may not think it is an option. But for someone like you who has tried other medicines there should not be a problem with getting authorized.. I hope this information is helpful for you. Have a good nights rest and a lovely day tomorrow! Delisa :)